Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 3rd round pick - Sean Day (D)

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Not an easy transition when you have been playing defense for most of your life. The ice looks different as a d-man. Most of the play is in front of you. As a winger the play developes differently in your view.
This worries me if they are already not seeing this kid as d-man in juniors.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I like this prospect, but switching positions scares me a bit. Stay open minded about it but I cant remember too many players that switched D to F or vice verse that really panned out well.

Maybe Bufuglien (sp)

Rangers have had a few players make the switch but it didn't really work out too well.
A few off the top of my head were...
Bickell
Boogaard
McIlrath

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Certainly an interesting move. Wonder how long it will last, and who came up with it. Probably not the Rangers given that they had him in prospect camp playing D.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I like this prospect, but switching positions scares me a bit. Stay open minded about it but I cant remember too many players that switched D to F or vice verse that really panned out well.

Maybe Bufuglien (sp)

Rangers have had a few players make the switch but it didn't really work out too well.
A few off the top of my head were...
Bickell
Boogaard
McIlrath

Brent Burns started as a F, converted to D, and switched back and forth again with the Sharks.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Not an easy transition when you have been playing defense for most of your life. The ice looks different as a d-man. Most of the play is in front of you. As a winger the play developes differently in your view.
This worries me if they are already not seeing this kid as d-man in juniors.

I think it is the opposite, I did it and wing is a cake walk compared to D. Going to center he would not stand a chance, but moving from D to wing is like a vacation.
You have a big advantage playing D at the level he did, now he knows the game better. I think it is just for fun in a pre-season game, but if not, with his skill set he could turn into a very good winger. This might be the NYR idea also...
Gliroy should have been turned into a wing in collage, would have given him a better chance at a long NHL career.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
It's 1 game... in the pre-season... In Juniors...

I don't think this has any implications on his development

id disagree...1 game is 1 game too much...hes a defenseman...thats who the rangers drafted. They compared his skating to Paul Coffey not Pavel Bure...they want a skating defenseman...

Zynbanejad

To Blais or Not To Blais
Jul 7, 2010
id disagree...1 game is 1 game too much...hes a defenseman...thats who the rangers drafted. They compared his skating to Paul Coffey not Pavel Bure...they want a skating defenseman...

Agreed 100%. Don't put these crazy ideas in his head when he hasn't even mastered one position yet.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Perhaps it's just a way to get him to look at the ice and play differently to improve his defensive development.
I would not get too nuts about it.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He's got a poisoned relationship with Missassagua. I tweeted that the Rangers should force a trade to London for this kid.

I found out the kid made a request asking for the same several months ago.

This was one of the reasons why some teams wouldn't touch him with a 7th.

I've heard some things in greater detail but don't know if it's worth posting.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
He's got a poisoned relationship with Missassagua. I tweeted that the Rangers should force a trade to London for this kid.

I found out the kid made a request asking for the same several months ago.

This was one of the reasons why some teams wouldn't touch him with a 7th.

I've heard some things in greater detail but don't know if it's worth posting.

Interesting. I know nothing on the matter but seems plausible given the recent switch.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah I'd heard he requested a trade. Possibly had some **** with the team when he was dealing with his family troubles (taking games/practices off because of it or something)

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah I'd heard he requested a trade. Possibly had some **** with the team when he was dealing with his family troubles (taking games/practices off because of it or something)

believe this is what I heard as well, but i can't recall specifically as this was months ago after we drafted him.

The Steelheads organization and Sean Day do not get along. Rangers should step in and force a trade of him to a team that can further his development.

WhoisJohnGalt

Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
Don't know if the Rangers had any say but Day is getting moved to Windsor. That gives him an automatic chance to play in the Mem Cup. Excellent for him and Windsor - he was never a favorite of the GM in Mississauga.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
good move for him going to the spitfires. will help him develop. the steelheads and him had a difficult relationship.

this forward thing isn't a thing. this kids a dman plain and simple. he should stay a dman.

its all up to him. if he gets his head straight, commits himself to his conditioning and understanding he's going to be a professional, and he starts to take fewer chances at the wrong time, he will be fine.

this organization, for sure, looks to this kid as a possible steal pick. he's a project but a worth while one. if he booms, he booms big.

its up to him though. some kids mature late. he's been a train wreck for a long time.

his abilities are legit, he's an effortless skater and very smooth. its his head that needs work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad