Confirmed with Link: New York Rangers 3rd round pick - Sean Day (D)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
93. Sean Day, D, Mississauga (OHL)
DOB: 1/9/98 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 228
GP: 57 | G: 6 | A: 16

Let's talk about Sean Day. Renowned for being named the fourth "exceptional" player by Hockey Canada, following John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid. Renowned, as well, for being in the same sentence with those names -- first overall NHL draft picks, all of them -- for only that reason. On the plus side, he's an elite skater with unbelievable four-way quickness for a big man. Day is a creative puck mover who can outlet the puck well and make plays in tight spaces. On his best days, Day is a calm, efficient puck mover who can win some battles and make some stops. On his worst days, Day is shooting his team in the foot with poor puck management and positioning. Despite all his talents, he has shown notably little progression during the past 12 months and is a very inconsistent player. He has also had issues controlling his weight and maintaining proper fitness.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Absurd skating and size, undisciplined defensively, good offensively. Character questions, but he's had some personal issues at home he's been dealing with.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Bad pick.

This guys fall is worse than the McColgans, St Croixs, Duclairs out there. He dropped like a brick in the ocean.

I'd be shocked if he turned it around.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
This kid got Exceptional Status into the OHL, and hasn't lived up to the hype. Really polarizing prospect.

Day's exceptional status wasn't like the other three. His was because he was so much bigger then all the kids he was playing with rather than a talent gap.

He was always thought of as a late first early second, but had this awful draft year that caused him to fall.

Long term project for sure.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Day was top 3 a year or 2 ago, huge faller which is what we need to look for when we pick this low. Good pick.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Corey Pronman's write up.

Let's talk about Sean Day. Renowned for being named the fourth "exceptional" player by Hockey Canada, following John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad and Connor McDavid. Renowned, as well, for being in the same sentence with those names -- first overall NHL draft picks, all of them -- for only that reason. On the plus side, he's an elite skater with unbelievable four-way quickness for a big man. Day is a creative puck mover who can outlet the puck well and make plays in tight spaces. On his best days, Day is a calm, efficient puck mover who can win some battles and make some stops. On his worst days, Day is shooting his team in the foot with poor puck management and positioning. Despite all his talents, he has shown notably little progression during the past 12 months and is a very inconsistent player. He has also had issues controlling his weight and maintaining proper fitness.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
Sean Day (defenseman). Seems a typical Ranger type pick over the years. Good size and possibly the best skater in the draft. Could this be another 3rd round steal? I like the pick.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
#56 on our draft list.

So why 56th overall on our rankings? Though all the tools are there, Day doesn’t put them together on a game-in, game-out basis. He really needs to work on being consistent and avoid some of the mental mistakes that have plagued him over his first two years in the OHL. The effort level does not always seem to be there, and there is some question as to how committed Day is to a career in the NHL. Whispers heard in the scouts section at the Hershey Centre include questions as to whether or not he truly loves the game.

Sean Day is the biggest boom or bust prospect in the draft. His raw skills and tools give him the ability to be one of the top defencemen in the game. However there are real questions about the fact that he’s not been able to put things all together to date, and some question if he ever will. In terms of style, his game is comparable to Jay Bouwmeester, but this is a stylistic comparison, and not one based on his skill or potential.

Link: http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/05/26/sean-day-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-56/

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Corey Pronman's write up.

Planet Fitness and a personal trainer. Make it happen, Gorts!

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I like the pick. Take a first round talent in the third. Not a sure thing though.

I do as well. Based on what I just read about him :laugh: We need defensemen that can skate.

Can someone post these threads for our next picks? I have got to run out in 15 minutes and will be gone for a few hours. Hunters Gatherers has done it every year since I have been on these boards but I guess he just forgot this year. :squint:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Bad pick.
This guys fall is worse than the McColgans, St Croixs, Duclairs out there. He dropped like a brick in the ocean.
I'd be shocked if he turned it around.

Its unreal to me how the potential of a kid who's only 18 can be so extreme and so certain
How many of us are exactly what our midteens projected us to be.?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sean Day just needs to mature, on and off the case. He needs to make smarter decisions defensively and with his puck management, and he needs to grow up off the ice. His talent is not in question. If he matures, we should get a first pair defenseman.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He's definitely high-risk, high-reward. Not the 1st time we've seen the Rangers do this. Both Buch and Duclair came with big-time question marks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad