New York City Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Same here, Brooklyn. I only notice the sign when I'm there (Pacific Street) or walking outside. There are a couple bars there (on 4th Avenue)) I'd go to and took the R from the City (especially since I work on the Lexington line). Waiting for that darn F express already! Trains sucked this Winter; better not have these issues in the Summer! Signal problem after signal problem after signal problem!!! Bottom line is it ain't such a bad trip to Brooklyn these days (much to my chagrin at times because I rarely can get a pie from Totonno's in the Summer any longer!!).

There are too many people who know about us (Brooklyn) now. No room for the natives anymore.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If I'm flying into LaGuardia (with luggage) and heading to Manhattan, what's the recommended and most cost efficient means of transportation? Any approximations of what it'll cost if my final destination is the Upper West Side?

JJJAAAMMM

May 22, 2014
Taxi it. Should be cheaper than a black car. From LGA it is a metered fare. What time are you getting in?

JJJAAAMMM

May 22, 2014
It's gonna run you between $45-60 bucks. Should not take more than 45 minutes to UWS depending on traffic.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Alright that's not too bad. I haven't booked yet, but the two likely flights for that particular day would either be early morning or around around 6pm on a Sunday.

I'm assuming taxi's would pretty much be readily available?

JJJAAAMMM

May 22, 2014
Yeah there is a taxi line at the ground transportation exit at the arrivals terminal.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Hey guys - I'm going out to dinner tonight in the Meatpacking District, should be getting out around 8 so I'd like to find somewhere nearby to watch the game. Right now I'm looking at either SNAP Sports Bar or FC Gotham. Can anyone who is more familiar with the area make a recommendation? Thanks :)

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Hey guys - I'm going out to dinner tonight in the Meatpacking District, should be getting out around 8 so I'd like to find somewhere nearby to watch the game. Right now I'm looking at either SNAP Sports Bar or FC Gotham. Can anyone who is more familiar with the area make a recommendation? Thanks :)

Brass Monkey is around there.

55 Little W 12th St
New York, NY 10014
b/t 10th Ave & Washington S

Guffawstev

Apr 26, 2012
FYI, going to the city is a price fixed destination, from either airport. I think it's $48. Just make sure before you get in the cab that it's one price fits all. If they say otherwise, Do Not Take That Cab!

Do I tip? $55? I want to travel for SC Finals. :hyper:
Hotel recommendation? :)

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
you do tip. It's like a food bill. If' it's $48 I usually just go to $60 because I have 3 twentys and want to get out quickly, but then again, I typically am a decent tipper.

Brooklyn - our borough is unreal. Glad I bought 15 years ago! Luckily most of my friends are a bit older (in their mid-50s) and have been in the Slope/Kensington/Windsor Terrace area all their life and own. Those who did not buy..ugh! Looks like I'll be at the Surf Club all Summer!

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Yes definitely tip.

Hotel is easy, go to hotwire and choose the cheapest but biggest star hotel you can find. It's simple. Start with 4 star and work your way down to 3 stars for those that meet your price level. Keep in mind the recommendation percents. If something has a customer recommendation of 95% but is only $10 more than one with a 75% pick the former. The star level is pretty accurate. I am not sure when you're staying but the closer you get to your trip the cheaper it will be. Obviously big tourist times not withstanding.

I have been doing this for 8 years now on business trips and have never been disappointed, I have stayed in some otherwise pricey hotels for 1/3 to 1/4 the normal quoted price.

RangerFan23

Jul 28, 2010
FYI, going to the city is a price fixed destination, from either airport. I think it's $48. Just make sure before you get in the cab that it's one price fits all. If they say otherwise, Do Not Take That Cab!

Its a metered fare + tolls from LGA to my apartment on the UES. Cost me $33 last week.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Its a metered fare + tolls from LGA to my apartment on the UES. Cost me $33 last week.

Well not too bad but this is straight from the NYC Taxi and Limo site:

FYI: I always fly into JFK, I honestly just didn't realize it's substantially cheaper from LGA. It should be around $28, I am not sure they have a flat rate. Yes, my bad I should have realized that.
For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $52.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

JJJAAAMMM

May 22, 2014

Just to reiterate, this information is incorrect for LGA airport. And my previous posts hold true.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

I recently stayed at the Hampton Inn North Times Square and the location was fantastic for a first time visitor. We walked to MSG, but the subway is nearby as well. The wifi connection was real strong and everything was clean. Just don't expect their breakfast to be quick, as the line is crazy long. Overall I'd absolutely recommend it.

essen

Apr 5, 2011
About what time should we get to a bar like The Flying Puck on Thursday? I imagine it'll be very crowded.

cjc5103

Jan 21, 2013
Washington DC
About what time should we get to a bar like The Flying Puck on Thursday? I imagine it'll be very crowded.

went there 1.5 hrs early at 630 for game 4. place was packed beyond belief. standing room only and the tables are WAITLIST only. u have to put your name down with the head server and pretty much impossible.

i would get there at 6 latest if you want somewhere to sit. 7 if you don't mind standing the entire game.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Perhaps this is out there but if you work for or know of any product design companies looking to hire a mechanical engineer in NYC I'd appreciate it if you could put me in contact with them...been trying to move from LI to NYC for some time now.

kennglin13

Oct 4, 2008
Hey guys I'm contemplating heading to one of the bars near MSG for the game tonight. I always hear a lot about Stout and Flying Puck, was just wondering if anybody had any recommendations or was going over as well

essen

Apr 5, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion to go to the Flying Puck. Amazing atmosphere. I'll remember for the rest of my life when the Rangers clinched Cup Finals and I was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad