New US TV Deals

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
2 years and cap will go up. Probably for 2023-2024 season.

We should be fine moving forward even with raises to Gallagher and Petry.

Last edited:

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002

We should be fine moving forward even with raises to Gallagher, Price and Petry.
It might go up that fast, but not by enough for any team with cap headaches to get relief.

This deal came in about 100$ million short per year as to what Bettman told the owners he would get before the negotiations started (I believe he told them he would get 775M$ per). According to the CBA, the cap isn't budging until revenues are above 3.3 billion. Even then when revenues are between 3.3 and 4.8 billion, it's only going up a pro-rated 1 million. After 4.8B, it only goes up 1 million per year until the shortfalls from this year and last are recouped from the players. Because of the formula they use to calculate the cap, there won;t be a "big" increase until 2 years after they are back to the pre-COVID levels of 5 billion in revenue.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

We should be fine moving forward even with raises to Gallagher, Price and Petry.

I'd rather keep the cap where it is and say no to jersey adverts. I wouldn't want to walk the streets of Montreal as Geoff Molson if it ever comes to pass.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
It looks like most of the regular season games will be on the ESPN/ABC side.

In the announcements, they say that TNT/TBS will have up to 75 regular season games. Whereas ESPN/ABC will have 25 exclusive national games + 75 national broadcasts and out of market games (similar to NHL Live).
I believe I read that TNT/TBS will get the Winter Classic, TNT/TBS and ESPN will be sharing playoff series, and they will alternate who gets the Cup finals on a yearly basis.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

We should be fine moving forward even with raises to Gallagher and Petry.

Wouldn't expect any significant raise until next CBA. There is a deep pandemic Escrow hole to dig out of, even then there will be a 6% cap on escrow withholding after 2022-23 which will further squeeze top of the cap.

Would be already a big success if accumulated escrow debt is paid off by 2026 end.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It might go up that fast, but not by enough for any team with cap headaches to get relief.

This deal came in about 100$ million short per year as to what Bettman told the owners he would get before the negotiations started (I believe he told them he would get 775M$ per). According to the CBA, the cap isn't budging until revenues are above 3.3 billion. Even then when revenues are between 3.3 and 4.8 billion, it's only going up a pro-rated 1 million. After 4.8B, it only goes up 1 million per year until the shortfalls from this year and last are recouped from the players. Because of the formula they use to calculate the cap, there won;t be a "big" increase until 2 years after they are back to the pre-COVID levels of 5 billion in revenue.

I have not seen anyone post or suggest numbers that big anywhere most predicted a doubling of the current rate but 775?
Where did you see that number

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
I have not seen anyone post or suggest numbers that big anywhere most predicted a doubling of the current rate but 775?
Where did you see that number
I believe it was Elliotte Friedman or Pierre LeBrun that said it during one of the habs games after the deal was signed. Friedman also said in his April 27th "31 Thoughts" post that "Bettman targeted this range (maybe a little more) pre-pandemic", so even if I am mis-remembering the number I heard, I think it was expected the total would come in close to 650.

Regardless, the revenue formulas in the CBA are the important part of getting the cap number up, and 100mil more or less a year isn't going to move that needle much.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
thank god for the espn+. nhltv is such a garbage. and it should be cheaper to boot.
I just hope that ESPN+ offers the option of which local broadcast you can select. I subscribe to NHL.tv just to watch the Habs games, and do not want to be forced to listen to the other team's broadcast crew. Oh, and NHL.tv has worked fine for me across mutliple platforms -- Roku, Apple TV 4K and android phone.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I just hope that ESPN+ offers the option of which local broadcast you can select. I subscribe to NHL.tv just to watch the Habs games, and do not want to be forced to listen to the other team's broadcast crew. Oh, and NHL.tv has worked fine for me across mutliple platforms -- Roku, Apple TV 4K and android phone.

Does it apply to Canadian consumers though? I would think nothing changes here because it's a rogers/nhl service up here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad