New US TV Deals

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Wish we could get someone else than Rogers to manage this in Canada. Well I don't even know if it's Rogers's fault, but the NHL Live service is a joke with it's blackouts and poorly designed apps. I pay 200$/year to watch the NHL online AND I have to use a SmartDNS AND you still serve me ads? That's messed up.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
Wish we could get someone else than Rogers to manage this in Canada. Well I don't even know if it's Rogers's fault, but the NHL Live service is a joke with it's blackouts and poorly designed apps. I pay 200$/year to watch the NHL online AND I have to use a SmartDNS AND you still serve me ads? That's messed up.
AND it's 720p

Reactions: MasterD

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So between ESPN and TNT:

- Stanley Cup Final will be on ESPN/ABC for 4 of the 7 years. And it will be on TNT/TBS the other 3 of those 7 years.

ESPN:
cut.jpg

TNT/TBS:
Ez_SxgFWEAQQGPe

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
US Fans gonna be able to watch games on HBO Max and Disney+/ESPN+ and here we are us Canadians with basic streaming services...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Disney+ in the US has at 13.99$ bundle with Hulu & ESPN +

Right, but it's a separate streaming service. You can get all three streaming services in a bundle, but it doesn't mean they share content.

The official announcement with ESPN is ESPN/ABC/ESPN+/Hulu. But not Disney+.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hockey on TBS/TNT just feels so weird.

I know network television is not as relevant anymore, but this a reminder how far back the nhl is in the US compared to the other sports. Half of their cup finals won't even be seen on network TV in this new deal.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Personally, I hate how rogers took over hockey from the CBC. I didn't mind some going to TSN but sportsnet was baaaddddd.
Sportsnet is a lot better now than it was when they first signed the deal. They invested a ton into bringing in new names. Not all of them are good, but that's going to be the case with most people in hockey media.

Their intermission shows also got infinitely better about a year and a half ago...

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
Right, but it's a separate streaming service. You can get all three streaming services in a bundle, but it doesn't mean they share content.

The official announcement with ESPN is ESPN/ABC/ESPN+/Hulu. But not Disney+.
Yes different apps. If Disney+ here advertised I could pay a bit extra per month and get access to ESPN + to watch sports in HD, I'd be jumping on that bundle ASAP. Just saying, wish we had something like that here.

But with the US having more games on streaming services they, they will definitely attract more youth to watch the games. Definitely a great move.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
That is very good news. I pay over 20 per month for NHL TV, ESPN plus is much cheaper. I bet there will be multi packages with Disney Plus, ESPN Plus, Hulu etc.

Reactions: dinodebino

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Sportsnet is a lot better now than it was when they first signed the deal. They invested a ton into bringing in new names. Not all of them are good, but that's going to be the case with most people in hockey media.

Their intermission shows also got infinitely better about a year and a half ago...

Yeah I found Doug and Kipper so cringy... they were just so bad. :ha:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yes different apps. If Disney+ here advertised I could pay a bit extra per month and get access to ESPN + to watch sports in HD, I'd be jumping on that bundle ASAP. Just saying, wish we had something like that here.

But with the US having more games on streaming services they, they will definitely attract more youth to watch the games. Definitely a great move.

Oh yea. If we had something similar here, I'd definitely be all over it, too.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Say what you will about uncle Gary but the man did manage to grow the league in some significant ways, including TV revenue. It's not the NFL but it's certainly something.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Say what you will about uncle Gary but the man did manage to grow the league in some significant ways, including TV revenue. It's not the NFL but it's certainly something.
That's less of a Bettman's accomplishment and more of a trend of cord cutting. Live sports are the only thing keeping people from foregoing cable TV altogether. Contracts of sports TV rights have been going through the roof for some time now.

The NHL is still a league benefitting the least from this, at least when compared to the other 3 major NA sports leagues.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
When it comes to NBC rather surprisingly deciding not to re-up with the NHL, I've read some speculation that it's because they will put their money towards renewing their Premier League (385M/y) and NASCAR (400M/y) TV deals.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
@Adam Michaels

Anything in-detail on how the national broadcasts will be spit between the two networks during the regular season?

It looks like most of the regular season games will be on the ESPN/ABC side.

In the announcements, they say that TNT/TBS will have up to 75 regular season games. Whereas ESPN/ABC will have 25 exclusive national games + 75 national broadcasts and out of market games (similar to NHL Live).

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->