New to HFB? Introduce Yourself Here.

ericstrat1

Oct 29, 2010
Introduction

Penguin fan since: 1980s, huge Mario fan since he came into the league- Penguins had a big following in Wheeling, WV where I was going to school.

Location: I recently moved back to Charleston, WV after 14 years in Omaha, Nebraska and 5 years in Washington, DC (where I mercilessly trolled Capitals fans at my work).

Favourite player: I'm a huge Malkamaniac. I also really love Phil the Thrill in all of his hot dog eating glory. Also, obviously a big Crosby and Lemieux fan. And a Matt Murray fan.

Least favourite player of all time: Alex Ovechicken, the all-time record holder for playoff failure and uncalled charging penalties.

Video game - Pretty much anything on the PS4.

Other hockey team I'm a fan of: None

Languages spoken - English

Position played: I tried to skate about once in my life in my 20s and crashed into some kids when trying to stop. I do have a pretty mean tennis game though!

Hobbies: Books, Movies, Poker, Tennis, Collecting Stuff, Penguins/Steelers/WVU fandom, PS4, Anime, Star Wars, Attending Comic Conventions, Travel.

Jerseys owned: Lemieux, Crosby. I have a Malkin sweatshirt, will purchase a Malkin jersey next.

Games Attended: I'll be at Game 1 Monday night. I was at the Oilers game last year when Malkin had 2 goals including the spinarama. I was at Lemieux's final game (the first retirement). I went to another game in 2002 during a brief unemployment skid where I didn't really have money for a game but went anyway and the Pens got killed all game and were down 3-0, when Lemieux stole the puck and went on a breakaway and scored, making the game amazing to me.

About: I've lurked the forums for years, and rarely post. Usually to just hate on Bylsma, then Fleury, then of late Kunitz. Just thought I'd say hello!

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Penguin fan since: 1980s, huge Mario fan since he came into the league- Penguins had a big following in Wheeling, WV where I was going to school.

Location: I recently moved back to Charleston, WV after 14 years in Omaha, Nebraska and 5 years in Washington, DC (where I mercilessly trolled Capitals fans at my work).

Favourite player: I'm a huge Malkamaniac. I also really love Phil the Thrill in all of his hot dog eating glory. Also, obviously a big Crosby and Lemieux fan. And a Matt Murray fan.

Least favourite player of all time: Alex Ovechicken, the all-time record holder for playoff failure and uncalled charging penalties.

Video game - Pretty much anything on the PS4.

Other hockey team I'm a fan of: None

Position played: I tried to skate about once in my life in my 20s and crashed into some kids when trying to stop. I do have a pretty mean tennis game though!

Hobbies: Books, Movies, Poker, Tennis, Collecting Stuff, Penguins/Steelers/WVU fandom, PS4, Anime, Star Wars, Attending Comic Conventions, Travel.

Jerseys owned: Lemieux, Crosby. I have a Malkin sweatshirt, will purchase a Malkin jersey next.

Games Attended: I'll be at Game 1 Monday night. I was at the Oilers game last year when Malkin had 2 goals including the spinarama. I was at Lemieux's final game (the first retirement). I went to another game in 2002 during a brief unemployment skid where I didn't really have money for a game but went anyway and the Pens got killed all game and were down 3-0, when Lemieux stole the puck and went on a breakaway and scored, making the game amazing to me.

About: I've lurked the forums for years, and rarely post. Usually to just hate on Bylsma, then Fleury, then of late Kunitz. Just thought I'd say hello!

Hello :)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
A fellow tennis player. :yo: What is your NTRP? I seriously love the game. Love the game so much. I picked it up as a hobby and loved it on offseasons because the footwork helps you in hockey so much.

ericstrat1

Oct 29, 2010
A fellow tennis player. :yo: What is your NTRP? I seriously love the game. Love the game so much. I picked it up as a hobby and loved it on offseasons because the footwork helps you in hockey so much.

I play in 4.5 leagues, where I am fairly hated because I love making opponents run the whole match...how about you?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I play in 4.5 leagues, where I am fairly hated because I love making opponents run the whole match...how about you?

4.5-5.0 myself. 1hbh, heavy topspin forehand. I love running. Quickness/speed and playing like Ferrer. Track everything/anything. Used to play a lot more tourneys but not anymore, as I don't care for the "tennis attitude". I play hockey competitively and still travel from time to time for it. I hate the people who really really really take tennis so serious. So my buddy and I hit about 3-4 times a week. We'll play some sets but we also play some strategy games, too. Something like a game to 10 but the only way to get a point is on an error. Winners don't count. Makes you keep the ball in play and really focus on strategy.

I'm 5'9 so I use a kick serve or a slider and try to play super high percentages on 1st serves. Love rallying and love challenging the cardio aspect of the game. My buddy and I both believe if you crush the opponent's cardio, sets 2/3 will be easy to win. Lots of hitting behind someone or just side to side playing good angles w/o going too big. Let the heavy top spin create more issues.

Mostly over Robinson courts or Mt Lebo clay. Prefer hard courts, though.

fybertas

May 30, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hi all, Pittsburgh sports fan and Penn State football fan. Been following the Steelers since 2014 and picked up Pens in winter 2015. Fortunate to have witnessed the pens hoist the cup last summer. Let's hope the pens do this again!

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Hi all, Pittsburgh sports fan and Penn State football fan. Been following the Steelers since 2014 and picked up Pens in winter 2015. Fortunate to have witnessed the pens hoist the cup last summer. Let's hope the pens do this again!

Welcome aboard :)

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
Hi everyone,

I'm 35, I've been following the team since the late 90's.

I'm currently working on a Master's degree, raising three kids, and working part time.

I came here originally to learn more about the game, which I definitely have from some posters. I wish the mood was a little more positive though, that's my only complaint with the board.

Anyways, I don't post often and when I do I get infracted a good bit, so I have to work on that and stop with the angry posts haha.

Tobgru

Feb 14, 2017
Name: Tobias

Penguins Fan since: I wasn't into sports at all, but when i was serving in the german armed forces in 2013, i started to watch football games and in Fall 2015 i began with hockey. Because my father has a shirt from the Pens, he got it at a trip to the US in the 80s, they were one of the few teams i knew at the time. Even though the early 2015/16 Season was ugly, i quickly became a fan.

Location: I'm a crazy german guy and live in the beautiful region Rhine-Hesse, even though my heart is northern german.

Favourite players: Sidney Crosby, Jake Guentzel, Thomas Greiss, Tom Kühnhackl and Leon Draisaitl.

Language spoken: German and english

Owned Jerseys: At the moment only #34 Kühnhackl.

Other Hobbies: I play in an amateur MilSim Paintball group, i love watching movies and tv-shows. I like to play video games, reading or even writing books and i'm the vocalist of a ambient black metal band.

Games Attended: None :/

PPenguinsFan66

May 31, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Hello,

Pens fan since: early/mid-90s. My brother is the main reason I am a fan. Neither side of the family were big into hockey, but all of my cousins and my brother were so I learned to like the Penguins from my brother who refuses to root for local teams (so it seems). My family are big football fans and as such I was given a Jim Kelly jersey when I was really young. I became a Penguins fan and a Bills fan before really understanding much about geography, haha. Feel free to insult my Bills fandom, but you can’t hurt me more than the Bills do.

Favorite player: Malkin when he’s in beast mode

Least favorite of all time: Hard to say, maybe Lindros?

Jerseys owned: Jagr, Lemieux, Crosby

Position played: Goaltender. Currently am a goalie coach for a local junior college team and I work with two coaches with NHL coaching experience (one with Buffalo, the other Carolina) when able to.

Hobbies: reading, cooking, playing piano...

Been a lurker for a while, figured I'd just jump on in after reading for years.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Welcome ^ guys/gals.

(Our German contingent is definitely rising. Love to see our European fans posting in.)

RobinInHood

Jun 3, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Hey all. New poster, long time fan from Sweden here. Became a fan in 1996 (i turn 28 in July!) when I was collecting hockey cards and out of the blue got a sweet looking golden card with Mario on it. I had heard he was one of the best and I thought he looked so badass with the Penguin jersey and all so I decided to become a Pens fan. I

started to read the hockey magazines and drank up every Penguins article I could get my hands on. Spent many hours in the middle of the night listening to the games on the web radio and streaming them online, I guess since 1999. Love my Pens. Fun to be here!

MrPucky66

Jun 1, 2017
Hi everyone

My age is 30 and I have been watching hockey since the 2000-2001 season. I was lucky enough to watch Lemieux and Jagr as teammates for at least one season (and see them make it to the Conference Final). I was also unlucky that I had to deal with the next four losing seasons by the Penguins. I consider it the ultimate test of my fandom.

I have been perusing these boards since 2011/2012, which is when the refs started letting more penalties go. I was curious to see if I was the only one with that mindset, and looked online for news articles or "someone" that had the same mindset. Google Search helped me find my way here.

My hobbies include things that don't get me anywhere in life such playing video games, watching movies, watching tv shows, and buying tickets to at least one game for every round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs (Pens home games of course(I live an hour and a half from Pittsburgh(near Johnstown))).

Since I play video games, my favorite NHL games are: NHL 98 (the presentation is unmatched in my opinion), NHL 2002 (commentators were comedy gold and Mario was on the cover), NHL Hitz 2002 (do I need to explain?), and NHL 08 (You can actually open up the legs and score five-hole, haven't done in any other EA game since).

This is only my 2nd post, and just created an account these playoffs. I have taken comfort in those who have had similar opinions to mine, and have had my mind opened to other ideas and thoughts on the Pens and hockey in general.

Thank you for the invitation thread, and LET'S GO PENS!! :yo:

BeatenLikeRentedMule

Mar 9, 2016
Super Mario Land
Hi everyone

My age is 30 and I have been watching hockey since the 2000-2001 season. I was lucky enough to watch Lemieux and Jagr as teammates for at least one season (and see them make it to the Conference Final). I was also unlucky that I had to deal with the next four losing seasons by the Penguins. I consider it the ultimate test of my fandom.

I have been perusing these boards since 2011/2012, which is when the refs started letting more penalties go. I was curious to see if I was the only one with that mindset, and looked online for news articles or "someone" that had the same mindset. Google Search helped me find my way here.

My hobbies include things that don't get me anywhere in life such playing video games, watching movies, watching tv shows, and buying tickets to at least one game for every round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs (Pens home games of course(I live an hour and a half from Pittsburgh(near Johnstown))).

Since I play video games, my favorite NHL games are: NHL 98 (the presentation is unmatched in my opinion), NHL 2002 (commentators were comedy gold and Mario was on the cover), NHL Hitz 2002 (do I need to explain?), and NHL 08 (You can actually open up the legs and score five-hole, haven't done in any other EA game since).

This is only my 2nd post, and just created an account these playoffs. I have taken comfort in those who have had similar opinions to mine, and have had my mind opened to other ideas and thoughts on the Pens and hockey in general.

Thank you for the invitation thread, and LET'S GO PENS!! :yo:

That's my favorite video game for hockey ever. :)

steveayres35

Apr 27, 2018
As you can tell, my name is Steve, and I'm a Penguins fan as well. I never really got to introduce myself on here, so here it goes:

I never grew up watching hockey, but I started to catch on when they won the cup in 2009 after I started watching the Steelers in 4th grade (I'm currently in college now). The earliest hockey memory for me was when my family and I came home from Kennywood when they played their 7th game in Detroit. When we got back home, I saw the final 6 seconds of that game. Ever since then, I've been watching football and hockey and I'll never stop until the day I die.

Reactions: DegenX

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Euro posters, anyone thinking about going to the IIHF in Bratislava this year?

I hate Bratislava with the power of a million fiery suns, so I'd recommend just coming to Prague and having a beer here instead. And that's coming from a Slovak. :laugh:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Euro posters, anyone thinking about going to the IIHF in Bratislava this year?

I hate Bratislava with the power of a million fiery suns, so I'd recommend just coming to Prague and having a beer here instead. And that's coming from a Slovak. :laugh:
Kessel was interested, but then he was explained what Bratislava was and that it wasn't a type of sausage.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Penguin fan since: I started following hockey when I was around 8 yrs old..got the fuzzy CBC feed from across the lake. All my older brothers were into football (and I was too), but I remember watching my first game on TV and saw some guys fighting and thought that was pretty cool. My dad was from Pittsburgh and we’d go there to visit my aunts when I was a kid and I’d see the Lemieux posters in the sporting good stores and my family talked about him all the time.

Favourite player: Hard to pick just 1. Lemieux was and will probably always be my all time favorite though.

Least favourite player of all time: Again hard to just pick 1 lol. Growing up I hated Lindros and my location is Red Wings country, so I’d say my least favorite team is the Wings.

Video game – I played about a billion hours with the mid-90’s NHL series on Sega Genesis. But I will always remember playing this one with my brother:

I have 2 girls (15 and 11 yrs old) so I don’t get much video game time. Unfortunately they’ve got me hooked on Fortnite after watching them play.

Other hockey team I'm a fan of: NA

Position played: On ice I play goalie in a beer league that runs from Oct to April. During the summer months I play Forward and Goalie on an inline team that is thankfully played on an outdoor rink

Hobbies: I’m trying to read more (mostly self improvement/psychology books). Single dad with 2 teenage girls and their activites, it doesn’t leave much time for myself lol. I’m currently househunting with my gf and we are in the process of merging our familes and such

Jerseys owned: Lemieux, Jagr

Games Attended: Too many to list. Whenever the Pens play in Detroit I go. I try to get to at least 1 game when they play in Columbus and I try to get to at least 1 playoff game per year in Pittsburgh.
Memorable games: 2008 SCF Game 5 where Sykora finally ended it in 3 OTs. 2009 SCF Game 2 when Malkin went after Zetterberg at the end.

Been lurking for the past few years. Finally started posting a couple years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad