Post-Game Talk: New season, same dead offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
you are not 100% wrong and that is the easy way out for the coaching staff, and it may be worth a look but i will refer to my previous post that josefson should be pushing the top 9 not the bottom 3 ...i think we agree that he should be playing but just slightly disagree on whom he should be replace...its a good debate

That's fair.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Devils top 6 is not going to be better than other teams' most nights. They need their bottom 6 to be better than the other team's, so they should be icing the best players possible

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I just don't think our defense is that good. People have this idea that our defense is among the best in the league because we allow the least amount of shots. Our defense is better than what's being played now though. Without Fayne our defense is pretty mediocre.

Volchenkov-Harrold is a pairing you'd see on a team like Calgary.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I just don't think our defense is that good. People have this idea that our defense is among the best in the league because we allow the least amount of shots. Our defense is better than what's being played now though. Without Fayne our defense is pretty mediocre.

Volchenkov-Harrold is a pairing you'd see on a team like Calgary.

at least with calgary, they probably get more offense from their d...even if they stink. here, they suck defensively and do nothing on the offensive side of the puck. Fayne needs to be in, but I won't hold my breath. I don't know how he went from being a stand out in 2012 to the 7th guy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
at least with calgary, they probably get more offense from their d...even if they stink. here, they suck defensively and do nothing on the offensive side of the puck. Fayne needs to be in, but I won't hold my breath. I don't know how he went from being a stand out in 2012 to the 7th guy.

I don't know what happened either. I do know our defense gets overrated because of their ability to suppress shots. That has very little to do with the defensemen though.

Half our lineup last night on D suck.

Volchenkov and Harrold blow, Salvador is old and not very good anymore, Zidlicky doesn't play defense. That's 4 of the 6 in the lineup last night.

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
so, watched the Game until the 3:0...and i am a bit shocked...

we control the game in the 2nd and half of the 3rd period but cant manage to score a goal. not even really good chances. it seems like we are not agressive.
the lines aren't clicking, there are bad passes and miscombinations all over...nothing really agressive and dangerous

there is a LOT of work to do :help:

slammer

Oct 28, 2010
Hessen
and, never thought I'd say this...but...I miss Kovi.

i was so excited everytime he was on a shift or at the puck. i was alway hoping for a goal. it made me confident, even when we were back 2,3 goals...its hard to replace this personality and feeling :(

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Fayne doesn't start playing every night soon enough, he probably will walk.

If he's back in the lineup nightly, and stays there the rest of the season, then he might be back.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens

If he's back in the lineup nightly, and stays there the rest of the season, then he might be back.

I think he's gone either way. He's still a young guy that can do well somewhere else. This staff obviously has no confidence in his abilities.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Personnaly, if I was in Fayne's shoes, I'd walk and wouldn't look back.

If bums like Volchenkov, Salvador and Harrold are all getting more minutes then me, that alone would be enough of a reason for me to look elsewhere. As a player, you don't care if #28 is earning more money then you... you only care about your roster spot and losing it to three players who aren't better then you is nothing short of a swift kick to the balls.

All I know is that Fayne was definitely steaming in the press box when he saw both duds on our 3rd pair last night and if he wasn't, well something's wrong with him.

I'm still trying to understand how Fayne is getting the raw end of this situation when it's all too clear that #28 or Harrold should be the guys asking questions. I'm certain #28 would prefer to pocket his checks and watch from the press box instead of looking like a total goofball on the ice while hurting his teamates, who are trying their best to cover up his numerous mistakes.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
the funny thing about all this fayne shunning is, marty's kids seem to really like him. on twitter they always praise him.

they probably think pete is a ********

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
Gionta is a horrible player. Great guy I'm sure, tries harder than probably anyone on the roster, but he's a horrible player. His boxscore yesterday was a bunch of zero's, a -2, 0-7 on faceoffs and 3 hits in around 12 minutes. Not acceptable. This is below Tim Sestito replacement level.

The quicker they figure this out, they may be able to push any depth advantage they have in the bottom of the lineup.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Gionta is a horrible player. Great guy I'm sure, tries harder than probably anyone on the roster, but he's a horrible player. His boxscore yesterday was a bunch of zero's, a -2, 0-7 on faceoffs and 3 hits in around 12 minutes. Not acceptable. This is below Tim Sestito replacement level.

The quicker they figure this out, they may be able to push any depth advantage they have in the bottom of the lineup.
No kidding. It's driving me crazy.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
and, never thought I'd say this...but...I miss Kovi.

i was so excited everytime he was on a shift or at the puck. i was alway hoping for a goal. it made me confident, even when we were back 2,3 goals...its hard to replace this personality and feeling :(

Imagine this lineup with him in and subtract Brunner. Oh boy

Whatever tho, let's fight with what we got this yr. you'll see Kovy in a devils jersey in five years.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Well you really shouldn't go by the stat line, go watch the replays of those goals and if you still put it on Gionta then you are confirmed for bias.

But by your logic, not watching the game and going off just the stat line, Carter did worse and Bernier about the same, so we need to scrap all three.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
Well you really shouldn't go by the stat line, go watch the replays of those goals and if you still put it on Gionta then you are confirmed for bias.

But by your logic, not watching the game and going off just the stat line, Carter did worse and Bernier about the same, so we need to scrap all three.

Uh huh, a center on a puck possession grinding line who wins faceoffs at a 35% rate. Completely awesome player. He holds those guys down, especially Bernier who is a very good fourth liner.

There is no bias here, he's an AHL player who was in the right place at the right time. He improved the fourth line because the other options were Cam and Eric Boulton.

Well, now they have depth and it's time to cut him loose. They could possibly align their roster to have someone like Zubrus play his role and you think Gionta is a good choice?

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Uh huh, a center on a puck possession grinding line who wins faceoffs at a 35% rate. Completely awesome player. He holds those guys down, especially Bernier who is a very good fourth liner.

There is no bias here, he's an AHL player who was in the right place at the right time. He improved the fourth line because the other options were Cam and Eric Boulton.

Well, now they have depth and it's time to cut him loose. They could possibly align their roster to have someone like Zubrus play his role and you think Gionta is a good choice?

See this is where this board gets to me, -don't think a player is the worst in the world= you think he is awesome and the next Crosby.

Never said he was awesome, but I'm also not going to blindly dump on him like a few posters here just because i want to see Yayo in the line up.

guyincognito

Mar 21, 2007
See this is where this board gets to me, -don't think a player is the worst in the world= you think he is awesome and the next Crosby.

Never said he was awesome, but I'm also not going to blindly dump on him like a few posters here just because i want to see Yayo in the line up.

Why, did I lie about him being a 35% faceoff guy? He doesn't need to play anymore. They've gotten pretty lucky with him all things considered. But they used to be top heavy. Now they're bottom heavy and their 3rd/4th lines have to win their matchups for this team to be any good. It's not enough to have a hustle guy there, whose hustle will make a play every 4th/5th game.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Why, did I lie about him being a 35% faceoff guy? He doesn't need to play anymore. They've gotten pretty lucky with him all things considered. But they used to be top heavy. Now they're bottom heavy and their 3rd/4th lines have to win their matchups for this team to be any good. It's not enough to have a hustle guy there, whose hustle will make a play every 4th/5th game.

Also said multiple times I know his faceoff is horrible along with knowing of his othere shortcomings. but again to say he played horrible when he didn't just to justify something everyone already believes is ridiculous.

it's ok to say a player didn't play bad even though you know they shouldn't be there. I guess not on these boards but in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig