Rumor: New Retro Reverse Jersey design leaked?

Bricho

Jan 23, 2013
If it wasn’t so similar to the first reverse retro or the original Liberty from 97 (I own both) I might pull the trigger. But nowadays for 300 odd bucks it better be a special buy and this doesn’t seem that interesting. So I think I’ll pass. Others have mentioned this in red would’ve been fire and I agree. The MTL in blue is pretty awesome.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Was never a huge fan of the Liberty Jerseys. This ones even worse.

The Liberty mark in and of itself is well designed, especially given the fact that the "Rangers" moniker isn't really an ideal fit for Manhattan and the Northeast. Tex Rickard, where the nickname originated, was a cowboy who grew up in the West and owned a ranch in South America. It would be odd for a team on broadway to sport that kind of theme.

If you were to redesign the Rangers logo or crest I'm not sure you could come up with anything better than what they currently have. It may be the most difficult jersey/brand to redesign. As an original 6, the diagonal lettering and shield are just classic mainstays of the NHL. So the Liberty mark accomplished as much as it could. But I never felt it was effective on a jersey. Namely because the NYR type within it.

Maybe a throw-back to the Americans would be more appropriate for a retro jersey, but given the prior success of the Liberty jerseys I assume they wanted to try and capitalize on that.

With this new one I'm not in love with the color combinations and the font styling. The "royal" blue is just off and fights with the navy. Its like a mish-mosh of competing colors and typefaces. The "NYR" type within the logo doesn't flow with the numbers or the crest on the shoulder. That was one of my gripes with the original jersey design. I feel like they could have reinvented the whole look to be less 90's looking, but alas - this is the idea of what going "retro" has become. I also hate the diagonals in the arms. There are too many angles going on with the crown and the arms. Again, its fighting itself.

Drop the NYR type and shield border from the liberty mark and use a flatter version of the Liberty head and crown as the new crest, reset the colors. Stop the diagonal shit. Maybe stick with an all navy and dark red flood. That way you can go with a completely new font styling that compliments the logo. I didnt expect them to come up with something better, but this looks even tackier than the originals.

Last edited:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I don't like the look of the blue in that pic with Miller. Looks way too flashy for a Rangers hockey jersey IMO. I don't hate it but I don't find it interesting either and at $300 a piece and with no option to get a Kakko jersey that's the end of my interest in buying one.

If they add the option to get a Kakko jersey I'll probably buy a few dozen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad