Music: New Queens of the Stone Age

Marf

Dec 22, 2007
Nice little tune, I'll likely pick this CD up when it is out.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
That song is fantastic and the artwork is really, really cool. I'm massively hyped for this album, I think QotSA are the best currently touring band in the world and yes I'm aware of the risk of hyperbole.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Listened to the stream of this on iTunes, sounded pretty good. Haven't really paid attention to the band since 2002 or whenever.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The whole album is amazing from front to back. Not a bad song on it.

Yep. It's their best album.

Why does everyone love to instantly exclaim that the latest release of anything is always the "Best one yet!" ?

I haven't digested the album yet - there are some songs that I absolutely love though. I think it took me a few weeks to fully digest Era Vulgaris (which was also exclaimed as their best album ever) and appreciate the awesome music therein. Clockwork is similar, it is in the new line-blurring direction of the band and pretty far from their hard-rocking roots - I'll need some time to crystallize my thoughts but there are some really great songs for sure.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Why does everyone love to instantly exclaim that the latest release of anything is always the "Best one yet!" ?

I haven't digested the album yet - there are some songs that I absolutely love though. I think it took me a few weeks to fully digest Era Vulgaris (which was also exclaimed as their best album ever) and appreciate the awesome music therein. Clockwork is similar, it is in the new line-blurring direction of the band and pretty far from their hard-rocking roots - I'll need some time to crystallize my thoughts but there are some really great songs for sure.

Really? I always hear the opposite..."meh not as good as the old stuff"

See, Muse.

Win Jiggys Loft

Jun 16, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Really? I always hear the opposite..."meh not as good as the old stuff"

See, Muse.

Yeah I tend to hear this more too.

Picked it up today, great release. We got the new Queens, Megadeth, and Alice In Chains all on the same day, with Black Sabbath coming next week, and the new NIN single coming out in two days. What a week! :yo:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not a bad song, but not something I'm going out of my way to listen to for a workout or anything. Like their faster stuff better.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I wasn't really into it the first time I heard it. The first 3 songs are really meh, but it gets progressively better from there (except that last one, still not sure how I feel about it).

I listened to it again and liked it more the second time. It may grow on me some more but so far I think it's their weakest...maybe slightly ahead of Era Vulgaris, not sure yet. It's still a pretty good album, but not as great as Queens can be. I don't think they'll ever touch the perfection they hit on their first 3 albums.

Kyle Doobas*

QOTSA have been one of my favourite bands since their first album came out, but I really wasn't sure what to expect from this album at all.

After a few listens, I honestly think it might be the best record they've ever done. It's as focused, consistent, atmospheric and experimental as any of their previous albums, but even more engaging and interesting to listen to.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
http://tv.broadwayworld.com/article/...Today-20130604

CBS Interactive's award-winning webcast concert series, LIVE ON LETTERMAN, will feature four-time GRAMMY Award nominees Queens of the Stone Age in a live webcast concert from the world-famous Ed Sullivan Theater in New York City, available on CBS.com and VEVO, tonight, June 5 (9:00 PM, ET/6:00 PM, PT).

I was there :naughty:

Won tickets, booked a 24hour day of insanity in NYC. Good times.

Best thing they have done since Rated R.

I dig it.

Rated R is indisputable GOAT as far as I'm concerned. But I think Clockwork more novel-like than their original hard-rocking attitude, the entire album is conceptual to a degree. Hard to compare to Rated R or Lullabies or Songs.

Brain Sergeant

Squirrel!
May 28, 2007

I didn't say that, just that it was solid from front to back.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Attention
New QOTSA tour dates added today.
Pre-sales begin Wednesday at 10am local time.

9/10 Toronto – Air Canada Center
9/12 Detroit – The Fillmore
9/13 Cincinnati – PNC Pavilion
9/14 Pittsburgh – Stage AE Outdoors
9/15 Columbus – LC Pavilion Outdoor Amphitheater
9/17 Indianapolis – Old National Centre
9/18 Louisville – Louisville Palace
9/19 Charlotte – TWC Amphitheater
9/20 Asheville – Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
10/5 Grand Prairie – Verizon Theatre
10/7 Nashville – Municipal Auditorium
10/8 Fayetteville – Arkansas Music Pavilion