Blue Jays Discussion: New players, new uniform, new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Again nope, there's 4 pages because that's how many people took offense to what I originally said and me just replying to that many people back. I never originally quoted anyone just came in here wrote a post and that was it. Why there's 4 pages because of everyone else here trying to defend or argue regarding a fringe player, which makes no sense, but it has become funny, but of course no one will admit how bad they look quoting me that many times trying to defend a fringe player or getting upset that I never liked the trade and try defending the trade still, but for some reason many want to here.

I've been following the Jays since I was a kid when they first won the World Series in 92, and I'm passionate fan and always will be, but when I see a player I'm not a fan of I'm going to speak my mind on the issue and I don't really care if that bothers someone or not. It may not even be a player it could be a coach or it could be some in upper management, I will speak my mind on it normally, and I know there will always be someone who disagrees I understand that, but 4 pages of arguing over a fringe player has gotten pretty hilarious, kind of sad actually that many people wanted to argue over that guy for that long.
Once again you started the topic and have been talking constantly about him. Your the one with the problem.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Was down at the new spring training stadium and its really nice. Expensive as all hell, but nice place to watch a game. Kind of sucked for the kids as none of the players (except Petricka and Ezekial Carerra (whose was just hanging around) would sign autographs. Blaming corona on that one.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
"Kirk is built like Chris Farley and, like Farley, has moments of surprising grace and athletic brilliance despite his size."

I like that Chris Farley is the most common comp we've seen for Kirk.

In all seriousness, Astudillo is 5"9, 225. Pudge was 5"9, 218ish in his prime. If he was actually at the 5"9, 220 he's listed at, I think that's ideal for him going forward. ~260, where I think he was really at last year, will not be a recipe for long term success.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
"Kirk is built like Chris Farley and, like Farley, has moments of surprising grace and athletic brilliance despite his size."

I like that Chris Farley is the most common comp we've seen for Kirk.

kirk.gif

Reactions: Mach85 and Kurtz

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Blue Jays send Logan Warmoth, Alejandro Kirk to minors camp - TSN.ca

The Toronto Blue Jays announced Tuesday morning they have sent six pitchers and four position players to minor league camp.

The pitchers being sent down are:

Thomas Hatch, Elvis Luciano, Julian Merryweather, Patrick Murphy, Hector Perez and T.J. Zeuch.

And the position players:

Catcher Alejandro Kirk, INF Patrick Kivlehan, INF Nash Night and INF Logan Warmoth.

The Blue Jays will open the regular season at home on March 26 against the Boston Red Sox.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Top 38 Prospects: Toronto Blue Jays

Eric is oddly bullish on shut-down reliever ace Julian Merryweather

Thanks for this.

Seem very high on guys like Hatch, Merryweather and Rodriguez. And to a lesser extent Zeuch, Machado and Smith.

Little low on McGuire, Pardinho and maybe Alford.

I might be reading this wrong but this is a weird statement to make as we have yet to have Vladdy, Biggio and Bichette play a full season together;

System Overview
Almost every pitcher the Blue Jays have acquired via trade over the last year or so has had a high spin rate fastball, at or above 2400 rpm. It’s clearly something teams are selecting for more often in general, but not with the same amplitude as Toronto. Hatch, Kay, Juan De Paula (not on the list), Perez, and even some of their waiver tries, like David Garner, have been up there. This proclivity has not been true of the amateur department, which has drafted and signed athletes with good frames, and college hitters with measurable power.

A lot of the relievers in their mid-20s actually need to see big league time this year. From among that unusually large group should emerge the short-term core of Jays bullpen and probably a trade chip or two, especially if Merryweather pitches like I expect he will.

There are lots of changeups and splits in this org, though it hasn’t been one that’s had success developing breaking balls. The org has also had trouble finding complementary pieces to fit around the young core of Bichette, Guerrero, and Biggio (who, as an aside, I was light on — his approach is elite, and he should’ve been on my Top 100 when he was eligible), though the team’s strategy has been clear. The Jays are everyone’s place to ship toolsy, frustrating upper-level players who are squeezed off better rosters, with Socrates Brito and Derek Fisher the new models.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Seem very high on guys like Hatch, Merryweather and Rodriguez. And to a lesser extent Zeuch, Machado and Smith.

He's a fan of spin rate, so that makes sense. Interesting that he views Hatch as a back of the rotation arm vs. a guy who could function similarly to Merryweather.

Little low on McGuire, Pardinho and maybe Alford.

Pardinho likely health related. The other two have pretty big warts.

I might be reading this wrong but this is a weird statement to make as we have yet to have Vladdy, Biggio and Bichette play a full season together;

He's not completely wrong. Now, that quickly changes if Lourdes is healthy, Jansen hits like we believe he can, and someone else (Rowdy?) breaks out. I get what you're saying however as the statement reads almost like its the beginning of 2021, and we're following a full year of them raking like an oasis in the middle of an otherwise deserted lineup.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
He's not completely wrong. Now, that quickly changes if Lourdes is healthy, Jansen hits like we believe he can, and someone else (Rowdy?) breaks out. I get what you're saying however as the statement reads almost like its the beginning of 2021, and we're following a full year of them raking like an oasis in the middle of an otherwise deserted lineup.

Yeah, it just doesn’t make sense to me. Just seems over critical as this FO brought in Bichette and Biggio and the developed Vlad. Now if the inherited those three and we had nothing in the system then it makes sense.

But this FO pretty much developed Vlad and Jansen into legit prospects and players. And brought in Bichette, Biggio, Gurriel, and Pearson. If you are talking prospects they brought in SWR, Manoah, Martinez, Hiraldo, Groshans etc. And if you are talking MLB players they brought in a lot of pitchers in Ryu, Roark, Anderson, Yamaguchi etc after less than one season of in stellar baseball. To me the front office has done a pretty good job at finding complementary pieces, not great but pretty good. It’s a work in progress and after this season it could look that much better.

Pitching needs to reap dividends and maybe they need to do a better job of finding OFs but to me they have good options in Grichuk and Gurriel. But they do need to find some long term, high upside OF prospects. But it isn’t a concern of mine, they have time and the benefit for me as they did it with ease when it came to finding pitching and infielders, where the latter can be moved to the OF if you have a long jam.

Also forgot to mention that SWR is pretty high. With Pearson expected to get the call in May or June, SWR could be the #1 prospect in our system according to FG with a good start to his season.... another guy this FO brought in.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Some of the ETA's seem a little odd, like Pardinho being 2022 and SWR 2023. Maybe they didn't move Pardinho's back after the injury but SWR should still be 2022. But it's a pretty solid list. Not feeling a ton of that guy needs to be way higher. A couple guys who jump off the page as being a little high but they have potential.

Shoutout to Thomas Hatch. He's high but I don't hate it.

Reactions: aingefan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Maybe it’s a bit of a shot at the accumulation on modest, underwhelming post-hype bats the past little while? McKinney, Drury, Fisher.

It’d be a pretty great boost if Jansen gets close to his ceiling.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Maybe it’s a bit of a shot at the accumulation on modest, underwhelming post-hype bats the past little while? McKinney, Drury, Fisher.

Yeah, I think it's a fair criticism. It hasn't been going on for a long time (and, as mentioned, Vlad/Bo/Biggio haven't even played half a season together) but that group has been penciled in as the future core for a couple years, and I think the acquisitions of Grichuk, Fisher, McKinney, Drury, Teoscar, etc. have been with the goal of catching a post-hype guy and having him break out as a support player around that core. And, to this point, it's pretty clearly been a failure in that way.

Having said that, I think Jansen is an obvious core piece going forward, while Gurriel isn't too far off given what he's done so far. They're making progress. This year will be huge in determining what holes they need to fill from outside the organization.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Some of the ETA's seem a little odd, like Pardinho being 2022 and SWR 2023. Maybe they didn't move Pardinho's back after the injury but SWR should still be 2022. But it's a pretty solid list. Not feeling a ton of that guy needs to be way higher. A couple guys who jump off the page as being a little high but they have potential.

Shoutout to Thomas Hatch. He's high but I don't hate it.

Love the Hitman.

If Danny hits his ceiling, he's the best catcher in baseball, and we're throwing a party.

Yeah, it just doesn’t make sense to me. Just seems over critical as this FO brought in Bichette and Biggio and the developed Vlad. Now if the inherited those three and we had nothing in the system then it makes sense.

But this FO pretty much developed Vlad and Jansen into legit prospects and players. And brought in Bichette, Biggio, Gurriel, and Pearson. If you are talking prospects they brought in SWR, Manoah, Martinez, Hiraldo, Groshans etc. And if you are talking MLB players they brought in a lot of pitchers in Ryu, Roark, Anderson, Yamaguchi etc after less than one season of in stellar baseball. To me the front office has done a pretty good job at finding complementary pieces, not great but pretty good. It’s a work in progress and after this season it could look that much better.

This is where we consistently diverge, but I agree with everything up to the bolded.

Pitching needs to reap dividends and maybe they need to do a better job of finding OFs but to me they have good options in Grichuk and Gurriel. But they do need to find some long term, high upside OF prospects. But it isn’t a concern of mine, they have time and the benefit for me as they did it with ease when it came to finding pitching and infielders, where the latter can be moved to the OF if you have a long jam.

Their inability to find OF, or more correctly put, evaluate OF, is alarming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad