Blue Jays Discussion: New players, new uniform, new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hearing rumors that the Jays aren't done. They are still kicking tires on Brock Holt and Puig. There is also a chance that with Ozuna signing a one year deal with the Braves that Castelanos (sp?) camp may have less bargaining power and they may need to take less.

With Boras now on good terms with the Jays, does it make sense for the Jays to visit this possibility hard? And with the signing of Panik and now rumors of Holt being looked at, does it mean there are still some irons in the fire where Biggio is a trade possibility on a blockbuster?

Hows this for an idea. Sign Holt. Let Holt and Panick platoon at 2B with other being utility option of the bench. Trade Biggio for a CF.

Biggio, McGuire, and Fisher

for

Marte

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Hearing rumors that the Jays aren't done. They are still kicking tires on Brock Holt and Puig. There is also a chance that with Ozuna signing a one year deal with the Braves that Castelanos (sp?) camp may have less bargaining power and they may need to take less.

With Boras now on good terms with the Jays, does it make sense for the Jays to visit this possibility hard? And with the signing of Panik and now rumors of Holt being looked at, does it mean there are still some irons in the fire where Biggio is a trade possibility on a blockbuster?

Hows this for an idea. Sign Holt. Let Holt and Panick platoon at 2B with other being utility option of the bench. Trade Biggio for a CF.

for

Marte

Would rather stay the course with the youth movement.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Would rather stay the course with the youth movement.

Really??? Marte would add so much to the Jays lineup and both Holt/Panik have the ability together to replace Biggio value. Marte has control for this year and next. Wouldn't be the worst thing.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Ozuna's price stayed down because he had the QO attached. It probably doesn't do much of anything to Castellanos's market.

And with the signing of Panik and now rumors of Holt being looked at, does it mean there are still some irons in the fire where Biggio is a trade possibility on a blockbuster?

They're not going to look at trading part of their future because they have a utility/depth guy on a minor league deal and are showing interest in adding another. If they want to move Biggio, guys like Panik and Holt will have absolutely nothing to do with it.

for

Marte

Nah.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Really??? Marte would add so much to the Jays lineup and both Holt/Panik have the ability together to replace Biggio value. Marte has control for this year and next. Wouldn't be the worst thing.

2019 Marte - 119 wRC+, 3.0 fWAR in 586 PA
2019 Biggio - 114 wRC+, 2.4 fWAR in 430 PA

Marte doesn't add anything to the Jays lineup if it comes at the expense of an equally productive player. And swapping in a couple utility guys at 2B doesn't replace Biggio.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

for

Marte

I wouldn’t trade 6 years of Biggio and 6 years of McGuire for 2 years of Marte.

Biggio is arguably a better bet moving forward than Marte.

Just let Hernandez, Fisher and Alford get their at bats. One is bound to break out.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

for

Marte

Not trading Biggio at all.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Not trading Biggio at all.

I think that is your trade chip along with McGuire that instantly upgrades your team with suitable replacements available. Jansen and Joseph can handle catching duties. Plenty of 2B options available on the cheap in Holt, Dozier and Kipnis that are still looking for help. Not to mention all of our prospects in the organization that are position players are up the middle at SS and 2B. The loss of Biggio or McGuire wouldn't hurt as much as some think if they bring in temporary cheap replacements.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I wouldn’t trade 6 years of Biggio and 6 years of McGuire for 2 years of Marte.

Biggio is arguably a better bet moving forward than Marte.

Just let Hernandez, Fisher and Alford get their at bats. One is bound to break out.

This is what I want to see happen. Im guessing its Fisher that breaks out..

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This is what I want to see happen. Im guessing its Fisher that breaks out..

I'm not sold on Fisher at all. I want it to be Alford because he seems like a fantastic guy and I love the idea of a speedy, good defensive CF with a high OBP, but I'm not convinced he still has that breakout potential in him.

If I had to pick one, it would be Teoscar. He's been wildly inconsistent, but he's shown plenty at the major league level. I could even see him moving to DH and having the kind of breakout Edwin had when he no longer had to worry about defending.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Nah son.

Edit:

- Your Core: Vlad, Jansen, Bichette, Biggio, Pearson

Don't trade from your core.

Yep! And if you do, it's for a core piece at a position of greater need (as discussed - and keeping in mind I have no interest in moving Jansen at all - moving Jansen for Pache or something like that and making McGuire the starter with Kirk and Moreno coming up in the next couple years), not for a guy with two years left.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm not sold on Fisher at all. I want it to be Alford because he seems like a fantastic guy and I love the idea of a speedy, good defensive CF with a high OBP, but I'm not convinced he still has that breakout potential in him.

If I had to pick one, it would be Teoscar. He's been wildly inconsistent, but he's shown plenty at the major league level. I could even see him moving to DH and having the kind of breakout Edwin had when he no longer had to worry about defending.

I think you have to rank them, in terms of likelihood of breaking out, based on past performance:
1. Teoscar

2. Drury

3. McKinney
4. Fisher
5. Alford

In terms of talent (i.e. overall profile if it all came together) would be 1. Alford, 2. Fisher, 3. Teoscar, 4. Drury, 5. McKinney

Can you imagine if Alford was able to provide "bust" 2017 Byron Buxton productivity?

Reactions: Discoverer

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
BA Top 100 Jays comments;

On Nate Pearson, they indicated that industry scouts/evaluators we're somewhat split between Pearson and Gore as the best pitching prospect. They skewed towards Gore, but it wasn't unanimous apparently. It's worth noting that other publications seem to be a bit more skewed towards Gore, so don't take this as a Pearson > Gore debate. But it is noteworthy that a decent fraction of the industry is sold on Pearson being a contender for the title of best pitching prospect in baseball.

On Groshans, apparently some evaluators felt that he was a bit too high, while others thought he was too low. BA was originally going to put him at #27, but after some pushback they moved him down a couple of spots. Nobody seemed concerned about his tools. As usual, it's just a debate over how to rank him with the durability concerns. They've said that there's no question he should be a top 50 prospect, but there's mixed opinion on him being top 30. Also worth noting that Ben Badler said that, had Groshans been healthy, he'd likely be talked about in the same manner that people are talking about Kelenic today.

On Simeon Woods Richardson, they said that nobody seemed surprised about where he's ranked and that some scouts thought he could be placed a bit higher in the rankings.

No mention of Alejandro Kirk (he wasn't on the list so it's not surprising), but they did emphasize that there isn't much of a variance between a top 100 prospect and a top 125 prospect. On an article listing players who just missed the top 100 they stated that "Nationals righthander Jackson Rutledge, Orioles first baseman Ryan Mountcastle, Reds infielder Jonathan India, Blue Jays catcher Alejandro Kirk and Braves righthander Bryse Wilson were among the prospects who didn't miss the Top 100 by much." We can reasonably expect that he may appear on the list as some guys ahead graduate or fall off the list.

Other Jays in consideration (beyond Kirk and the guys on the top 100) include: Alek Manoah, Orelvis Martinez, Gabriel Moreno, Adam Kloffenstein, and Eric Pardinho.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxOCZMSxx

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I've been critical of this management group, but I have to eat some crow.

I think we're in a position now to take a step forward next season, and then take the most important step the year after, making for the playoffs (if we don't make the playoffs by 2021 I will consider this a failure).

We have the prospect pipeline to build a sustainable competitive window, which we haven't had since the 90's.

They seem to have done a good job of setting the table for success, hopefully that translates on field.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Teoscar is not a CFer on a contending team. Usually good teams are good defensively up the middle, that includes CF. He shouldn’t be the opening day starter at cf.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think that is your trade chip along with McGuire that instantly upgrades your team with suitable replacements available. Jansen and Joseph can handle catching duties. Plenty of 2B options available on the cheap in Holt, Dozier and Kipnis that are still looking for help. Not to mention all of our prospects in the organization that are position players are up the middle at SS and 2B. The loss of Biggio or McGuire wouldn't hurt as much as some think if they bring in temporary cheap replacements.

Sorry, I should have clarified.

Biggio's control and upside is very attactive. Marte's age is a concern and I forecast his production will trend downwards as well.

The only player I'll be comfortable trading Biggio for along with a plus, ofcourse, is Lindor.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Sorry, I should have clarified.

Biggio's control and upside is very attactive. Marte's age is a concern and I forecast his production will trend downwards as well.

The only player I'll be comfortable trading Biggio for along with a plus, ofcourse, is Lindor.

Do not think Biggio as a center piece to a Lindor deal ever happens. He isn't good enough. Pearson on the other hand discussions can get started. But getting rid of Pearson in a deal would be utterly stupid at this point. He is our future for the rotation, BA stated as much in their latest rankings. He is the only prospect in our organization that I would deem untouchable at any price. Everyone else should be available for the correct core piece coming back in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad