News Article: New ML$E boss wants to focus on fans... proceeds to say he's "fine" with jersey ads

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Interesting thing is that nothing is ever enough in business. Big businesses like this have investors, and those investors are only going to vest money into something that will continue to go up in value.

Therefore, if you stop looking for ways to increase profits and value, then you lose investment.

Ideally, those advances in profit would come from innovation (i.e., finding new unique ways to improve a product) rather than just starting to slap ads onto things. But such is life :(

I'm glad someone understood my point. And you're right. It's sad that the more we go into the future the more advertising we get. An extra commercial, slightly shorter show times etc. It's a bombardment of adverstising, like the frog in the pot of water. If you slowly raise the level of advertising no one will notice until it's too late...

Feb 24, 2004
https://www.thestar.com/sports/2016/06/09/mlse-boss-michael-friisdahl-eschews-spotlight.html

http://www.tsn.ca/ads-on-nhl-jerseys-absolutely-fine-says-mlse-boss-1.504460

This guy's off to a great start.:laugh::facepalm:

Leave it to a former Air Canada executive to support squeezing every last penny out this franchise.

My favourite quote was "a lot of hardcore fans may have a belief one way or another...."

The next hardcore fan I meet that believes there should be ads on the jerseys will be the first.

Snacks Kassian

Mar 21, 2014
Vancouver
I dont want to be a walking billboard for some corporation if i choose to buy a sweater. I hope fans have the option of buying one without any ads on them, doubt that happens.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I dont want to be a walking billboard for some corporation if i choose to buy a sweater. I hope fans have the option of buying one without any ads on them, doubt that happens.

But aren't you already a walking billboard for one of MLSE's products when you wear a Leafs jersey?

Colts

The Suzuki Show
Aug 20, 2015
Molson Centre
I would be only okay with ads on jerseys if it was some what a sports company such as Nike, Reebok, Under armour, etc. I would be hate it to be the Wendy's logo or Wal Mart.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jersey Ads are so overblown. People freaking out over everything.

It literally changes nothing.

The NHL will never go to the European Hockey Jersey style. Heck, I believe some executives have said as much.

It will be a small logo on the top right front of the jersey, and then possible one or two logos on the bottom back of the jersey.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Advertising on jerseys will be a very small logo placed somewhere, like the Reebok is on the back of their collars right now (or used to be). I remember a Nike symbol on them as well at some point, maybe on one side of the upper chest or something. That was bearable. They're not going to plaster the sweaters with ads everywhere, don't even think that. They'll be small and won't distract from anything.

Still, I prefer there to be no ads. To be honest it's a sick idea (and I mean sick as in distorted, not sick as in "cool") to put ads on a sports sweater in the first place. Reeks of desperation - give me a break. What's next, painting ads on the front windows of our homes as well so when we wake up in the morning, there's a Folger's Coffee logo splattered right across our kitchen window? Where does it stop.

But I do have confidence it won't ruin the sweaters or anything. Either way, like the weather, we have no control of it so wait and see is all.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Interesting thing is that nothing is ever enough in business. Big businesses like this have investors, and those investors are only going to vest money into something that will continue to go up in value.

Therefore, if you stop looking for ways to increase profits and value, then you lose investment.

Ideally, those advances in profit would come from innovation (i.e., finding new unique ways to improve a product) rather than just starting to slap ads onto things. But such is life :(
... Yup. This is the problem with our economy in general. The more companies are invested in, the bigger they become. The bigger they become, the less important their employees and customers become and the more important their stock holders are. The smaller businesses gradually fall by the wayside and service levels of companies suffer as money is the only goal. MLSE is no different.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I don't mind the odd patch on the jersey. I know they're coming and I've accepted that fate already. If people think they're going to turn them into spengler cup jerseys I think you need to pump the brakes of outrage a bit.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
I don't mind the odd patch on the jersey. I know they're coming and I've accepted that fate already. If people think they're going to turn them into spengler cup jerseys I think you need to pump the brakes of outrage a bit.

A true leaf fan will never accept jersey adds as there is just no need for it. Our team generates enough revenue as it is.

It would ruin our brand and our long rich history

If they want more revenue win a cup in 4 yrs time

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
Thank god I already have two jerseys and will never buy a new one barring these changes. I think the nhl will lose traction in sales of jerseys by quite a bit but that profit will be made back from the advertisers excessive fees to place their logos on the jersey. I guess thats life but if people actually just completely boycotted these jerseys and deny their impulse purchasing for a few years the nhl would get the message quickly and revert back to their original concept, something I know everyone appreciated.(haven't met a fan who is in favor of these changes in person yet)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
No logos?

I wonder if anyone has looked at their hockey gear and considered that they are advertising for:

Bauer on the skates
CCM on the helmet
Easton on the stick or gloves or pants

Or the rink you play in that advertises for local business along the rink boards, or even the score clock.

Jersey ads are already here for the manufacturer and are going to come for a bigger audience.

I'd be more concerned with ticket prices and the inflationary secondary ticket market.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Advertising is like a cancer. I can't watch a sporting event without some annoying personal injury lawyer ad. Blah.

Mad Brills*

No logos?

I wonder if anyone has looked at their hockey gear and considered that they are advertising for:

Bauer on the skates
CCM on the helmet
Easton on the stick or gloves or pants

Or the rink you play in that advertises for local business along the rink boards, or even the score clock.

Jersey ads are already here for the manufacturer and are going to come for a bigger audience.

I'd be more concerned with ticket prices and the inflationary secondary ticket market.

bang on.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
A true leaf fan will never accept jersey adds as there is just no need for it. Our team generates enough revenue as it is.

It would ruin our brand and our long rich history

If they want more revenue win a cup in 4 yrs time

LL how did you ever make it through signage on the boards, then signage on the ice and God forbid MLG becoming the ACC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad