News Article: New ML$E boss wants to focus on fans... proceeds to say he's "fine" with jersey ads

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I don't have a problem with jersey adds at all. If I were able to choose, I would pick the soccer style with one large add than the Euro hockey style with tons of little ones
Well I don't think we're getting either of those styles.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If jersey ad profits knocked down ticket prices or concession stand prices then maybe, but we all know that won't happen. So shove that **** up your ass.

When is enough enough? When is a certain amount of revenue or profit enough?

NBA just got an abysmally large television deal so much that absolutely ludicrous amounts of money are going to be given to players to make it up to the CBA threshold...and yet they're still adding jersey ads. When is it enough?

Interesting thing is that nothing is ever enough in business. Big businesses like this have investors, and those investors are only going to vest money into something that will continue to go up in value.

Therefore, if you stop looking for ways to increase profits and value, then you lose investment.

Ideally, those advances in profit would come from innovation (i.e., finding new unique ways to improve a product) rather than just starting to slap ads onto things. But such is life :(

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
If jersey ad profits knocked down ticket prices or concession stand prices then maybe, but we all know that won't happen. So shove that **** up your ass.

When is enough enough? When is a certain amount of revenue or profit enough?

NBA just got an abysmally large television deal so much that absolutely ludicrous amounts of money are going to be given to players to make it up to the CBA threshold...and yet they're still adding jersey ads. When is it enough?

NBA Jerseys will have ads on them before NHL jerseys.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
No ads on the jerseys please.

What a joke, I understand rebook I believe makes the jersey so fine, that logo is fine, but if they have the ads to the point of the euro leagues and the freaking sticker on the helmet, omg. Just disgusting

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No ads on the jerseys please.

What a joke, I understand rebook I believe makes the jersey so fine, that logo is fine, but if they have the ads to the point of the euro leagues and the freaking sticker on the helmet, omg. Just disgusting

I concur, just disgusting! Ads on the ice... don't like it, but, whatever! Ads on the boards... don't like it, however, I can live with it!

Ads on the jerseys, or any other parts of the uniform, are simply not acceptable! I will never buy another jersey with any sort of advertisements on them! NEVER, EVER! :rant:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
People didn't like ads on the boards/ice either. Not it looks odd without it.

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
I am totally against putting ads on jerseys, as I don't see it stopping at a few small ads. Maybe at first but as we get comfortable with it they will just keep adding.

The problem I see however is that the only way to stop this in its tracks is, when it does come to fruition, we as fans stop buying team jerseys. It would have to be a huge decrease in sales, at least as much as the companies have paid for the ad space.

This I just don't see happening to be honest. I think there will be a decrease for the first few years, nothing large but a step back none the less. Then after a little while it becomes the norm and things go back to normal.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
In all honesty, I can't say that jersey ads done like this (http://www2.tsn.ca/bardown/Story.aspx?id=581339) really bother me at all. I use to be against the idea but I just don't really care that much anymore.

photo2016-06-0145331pm_63455.png

photo2016-06-0145316pm_63477.png

photo2016-06-0145345pm_63626.png

photo2016-06-0145510pm_63588.png

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Here's my two cents on the controversy of putting even little ads and whatnot on sweaters:

It doesn't change the game in any way.
If done in small amounts, it's not going to affect my hockey-watching lifestyle or pleasure.

When they actually DID change the game by giving in to TV advertisers and making TV timeouts, actually stopping the game and eventually altering forever the ice time distribution for teams and the arena experience for all fans - THAT was something worth outrage.

This is . . . annoying at worst. Innocuous at best.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I don't mind advertising here and there but HFBoards' Ads have hardened me.

But to have ads on Professional Hockey Jerseys is tacky.

Pure Greed.

So it will probably happen.

I'm sure the Players and the Teams would love it .. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
Hearing this guy talk about just the peripheral stuff makes me appreciate Lieweke all the more. Stuff like practice facilities, increased spending on players, getting the best personnel at the top, innovative stats and health research, should be the priority. Having a guy who thinks only in figures and has no sports/entertainment background isn't the most encouraging sign. If a rift ever opens up between Team Shanaplan/Ujiri/TFC over dollars and cents, it will be a dark day for Toronto sports, because this guy will never understand where the guys with the specialized knowledge are coming from.

The vast majority of casual fans will not care about social media campaigns, ads and gimmicks at the venue if the teams are garbage. You get more hype, loyalty and revenue just from multiple winning seasons and media coverage of such, why not make that a priority?

On the ad issue, it was inevitable. Just as long as it doesn't become as intrusive as soccer jerseys, or those clown shirts they wear in the Euro hockey leagues I won't mind it.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I would have imagined the leafs would be last to cave in.

At the end of the day they are in the business of making money, but certain things, like the maple leaf jersey should be given respect. If I see a Rogers logo on the jersey I will immidiately switch carriers, and will only purchase jerseys from China that do not have the ad.

Last edited:

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
It bothers me that so many fans are willing to bend over and take it so that billionaires can get some extra pocket change to upgrade their yachts.

"It generates extra revenue" is the most shallow lame ass excuse to tarnish your product and the league overall with unnecessary corporate BS.

If "it generates extra revenue" is the only reason needed to make changes like this, then where do you draw the line? If one add brings more revenue... then certainly two will bring more.... and well, 3 has gotta bring more then two.... How about we just start renaming teams after corporations? That would bring in a ton of money! Oh, its not tradition to do that? I'm sure some die hard "traditionalists" will care, but as I'm wiping my ass with the extra dough I'll be racking in, I'm sure fans will adjust and continue to pay more and more money for an increasingly inferior product.

IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MORE MONEY, MAKE YOUR PRODUCT BETTER!!!

The second an add is placed on a jersey is the moment I stop buying NHL memorabilia. Not that it will make a difference though... maybe if more people hand spines and were willing to defend their game from the greedy corporate **** tards there'd be a chance.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Ticket prices will never go down.

Ticket prices should actually go up if you want the 'hardcore fans' in the seats. Tickets aren't available on the primary market and a 20% markup on those tickets would still be cheaper than what people are paying on the secondary market. All that it would do is eat away at scalpers' margins and eventually free up supply for the primary market while increasing gate revenue.

Mad Brills*

whatever.

I will only buy leafs gear from 3rd parties anyways, as it's cheaper.

It's how capitalism works.

Don't like it? A whole line of people will still buy the jerseys, go to games. That's never changing, as disposable income varies, but for some who are rich, it's fine for them.

Sucks, but it's the truth.

Hymanbrah

Goin' In
Apr 8, 2007
Keep ads off the jerseys. If you want more ad revenue turn the refs into skating billboards. Coaches could also be ripe for some ad placement. Replace the time keeper with a guy in a Ronald McDonald costume.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
I can't for a second believe it would stop with just a small ad or two, especially once they start seeing the dollar signs. It would only be a matter of time before the ads start dominating the jersey.

So I say NO THANKS because it would look terrible and if it's anything like those European leagues, I can't see the numbers or names on the jerseys anymore. The whole jersey just becomes too busy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad