News Article: New ML$E boss wants to focus on fans... proceeds to say he's "fine" with jersey ads

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Friisdahl joined MLSE without significant experience in sports, having spent most of his career in the travel industry. He has contracted the Boston Consulting Group to help evaluate how the company interacts with fans.
“Their focus is on the fan engagement experience.â€

Friisdahl said that engagement could mean anything from how fans access teams through social media to how they purchase food inside the arena.

“When you look at things like fan engagement and the evolution of where the sport is going, or where sports in general is going, it is always helpful to get some input,†he said. “What BCG is helping us focus on is the evolution of that experience.â€
https://www.thestar.com/sports/2016/06/09/mlse-boss-michael-friisdahl-eschews-spotlight.html

Friisdahl, who joined MLSE from Air Canada, where he had been president and chief executive of the airline’s Leisure Group since 2012, agreed that jersey ads are a benefit to a league that typically depends on increases in traditional revenue streams to boost profits.

“This is clearly beneficial from a revenue generation perspective,†he said. “If it’s done tastefully and in a controlled manner it really shouldn’t be something there’s pushback on from our fans. If you look at many other sports, they’ve been doing it for years.

“A lot of hardcore fans may have a belief one way or the other, but we’re also in a sport that is constantly evolving.â€
http://www.tsn.ca/ads-on-nhl-jerseys-absolutely-fine-says-mlse-boss-1.504460

This guy's off to a great start.:laugh::facepalm:

Leave it to a former Air Canada executive to support squeezing every last penny out this franchise.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
If jersey ad profits knocked down ticket prices or concession stand prices then maybe, but we all know that won't happen. So shove that **** up your ass.

When is enough enough? When is a certain amount of revenue or profit enough?

NBA just got an abysmally large television deal so much that absolutely ludicrous amounts of money are going to be given to players to make it up to the CBA threshold...and yet they're still adding jersey ads. When is it enough?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If jersey ad profits knocked down ticket prices or concession stand prices then maybe, but we all know that won't happen. So shove that **** up your ass.

When is enough enough? When is a certain amount of revenue or profit enough?

NBA just got an abysmally large television deal so much that absolutely ludicrous amounts of money are going to be given to players to make it up to the CBA threshold...and yet they're still adding jersey ads. When is it enough?

Ticket prices will never go down.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Boy, it does seem ominous to have brought in an exec from Air Canada. That doesn't scream customer service to me. And I find it personally annoying when these types tell me what should or shouldn't bother the fans.

But of course, I always know that MLSE is is pretty much a money hungry monster and the less I think about them the more likely I am to be happy about the team. The opposite is also true.

Sometimes I think there will come a day when I just lose interest. I don't suppose jersey ads will do it, but then again it might be worth thinking about.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
The fat cats at Rogers and Bell would sell tickets to watch live cats get tossed into a woodchipper if it would make them an extra 50 cents.

It will be done tastefully and in a controlled manner at first (as in, it will taste like gasoline, but not enough to kill you).

Then, once everyone is used to that, more will inevitably added. Then, once everyone is used to that, more will be added. Then, once everyone is used to that, more will be added.

Then, once everyone is used to that, the team's name will be changed to Aunt Jemima's Toronto Maple Leafs in a sale of the teams naming rights. At center ice, there will be a giant pancake instead of a Leaf, and fans will truly be able to use waffles (sans syrup) as a form of protest.

Then, once everyone is used to that, more ads will be added to the jerseys.

During every interview, Leaf players will be contractually obligated to drink a Pepsi co. beverage, eat a salty snack from Frito Lays, and mention the smooth, refreshing Budweiser they have waiting for them at home after the game.

One thing I know for certain: I will never buy a Leaf jersey that has ads for other companies on it.

Last edited:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Advertising on jersey's has already been happening for years in the NHL, only it's been under disguise as also providing the jerseys. Reebok has paid an estimated 35m a year to have their name on NHL jerseys and starting in 2017-2018 it will become Adidas who is thought to be paying 70m+ a year.

So why is there an issue now? I'm completely fine with advertising on jerseys as long as it's done in a tasteful manner which I will be unable to judge until I see them. But if it's anything like the NBA where it's a small 2 inch crest (can only buy the team jersey with the advertisement at the arena store, all offsite + online sales wouldn't have the 2 inch crest) I am more than fine with it. The small advertisement would in no way ruin my viewing of the sport nor would it make me think twice about buying a jersey as I can get one without it. Quite frankly I'm not even sure how it's worth the advertising companies money.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Advertising on jersey's has already been happening for years in the NHL, only it's been under disguise as also providing the jerseys. Reebok has paid an estimated 35m a year to have their name on NHL jerseys and starting in 2017-2018 it will become Adidas who is thought to be paying 70m+ a year.

So why is there an issue now? I'm completely fine with advertising on jerseys as long as it's done in a tasteful manner which I will be unable to judge until I see them. But if it's anything like the NBA where it's a small 2 inch crest (can only buy the team jersey with the advertisement at the arena store, all offsite + online sales wouldn't have the 2 inch crest) I am more than fine with it. The small advertisement would in no way ruin my viewing of the sport nor would it make me think twice about buying a jersey as I can get one without it. Quite frankly I'm not even sure how it's worth the advertising companies money.

While it's true that the Nike Swoosh or the RBK whateveritscalled is on jerseys now, you can't tell me that's the same as this garbage

hockey-swiss00sp12.JPG

That's not tasteful, and never will be. I guarantee to you that if they go that route I'll never buy another jersey again. I hate it. There's rich history and tradition in this league and in this city and I consider it an insult to the Leafs jersey to throw a jiffy lube advertisement on it. It's an embarrassment. You wanna put a small logo of a company like Nike or Reebok, fine, that doesn't bother me, but thats where I draw the line in the sand.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
While it's true that the Nike Swoosh or the RBK whateveritscalled is on jerseys now, you can't tell me that's the same as this garbage

That's not tasteful, and never will be. I guarantee to you that if they go that route I'll never buy another jersey again. I hate it. There's rich history and tradition in this league and in this city and I consider it an insult to the Leafs jersey to throw a jiffy lube advertisement on it. It's an embarrassment. You wanna put a small logo of a company like Nike or Reebok, fine, that doesn't bother me, but thats where I draw the line in the sand.
Strictly speaking, the NHL doesn't need to go to the lengths as certain European leagues because the league itself and teams within it don't need the multiple sponsorships to survive (outside the ones they already do have, of course). Personally, I'm fascinated as to why everyone who's against advertisement on the players always goes straight to the worst case like there's no middle ground between what we have in North America and what's done in Europe.

So long as the ad is placed in an inconspicuous location on the sweater (lower back, shoulders), or not even on the sweater to begin with (pants, helmet), it's not terrible. There's a huge difference between a Canadian Tire logo on the shoulder or company wordmark along the lower back and your example from the NLA.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it's going to happen, so i figure just embrace it. like i think if it's at the bottom (or preferably on the pants), it should be fine. it shouldn't distract from the sweater.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
This "fan engagement" thing really scares me. I went to a Raptors game a few years ago, and the biggest difference I noticed (compared to going to a hockey game) is that at basketball they always have something to "entertain" you. If the play stops for 5 seconds, the dance pack is doing a 5 second dance routine. To me, the underlying message seemed to be "well, obviously, this whole basketball thing isn't going to keep you interested, so we better do all this other stuff on the side."

You know what I want to watch if there's a timeout on the floor? Nothing. I just want to think about the importance of the next play, and maybe figure out what sort of play the coach is drawing up. I think this is true of most fans who are really there to see the game.

But with the price of tickets, and lots of corporate customers, they don't want to market it as watching sports, they want to market it as a fun night out, win or lose. Definitely would be disappointing if hockey went the same way.

As far as ads on the uniform go, fortunately this is a league call, not a team call, so he won't really have any say in the matter anyway beyond casting one vote in favour.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Strictly speaking, the NHL doesn't need to go to the lengths as certain European leagues because the league itself and teams within it don't need the multiple sponsorships to survive (outside the ones they already do have, of course). Personally, I'm fascinated as to why everyone who's against advertisement on the players always goes straight to the worst case like there's no middle ground between what we have in North America and what's done in Europe.

So long as the ad is placed in an inconspicuous location on the sweater (lower back, shoulders), or not even on the sweater to begin with (pants, helmet), it's not terrible. There's a huge difference between a Canadian Tire logo on the shoulder or company wordmark along the lower back and your example from the NLA.

You're high-up in MLSE. You put one ad on the jersey, nobody bats an eye. You put two on, nobody cares. You put three on etc. Where does it end? that's my issue with it. Do people really think it'll stop at one ad? Even if they did stop at one, it's more than enough. Screw the maple leaf and it's history, lets go with this

watermarked_thumbnail.aspx

Anyone who thinks it'll be just some small subtle ad is only kidding themselves. Maybe they'll do that at first, but the point is to advertise, advertisers pay money to be out there, not tucked away in the corner. They wanna be up front. Swap the Chevy symbol for Wal-Mart, would you be okay with that?

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
This "fan engagement" thing really scares me. I went to a Raptors game a few years ago, and the biggest difference I noticed (compared to going to a hockey game) is that at basketball they always have something to "entertain" you. If the play stops for 5 seconds, the dance pack is doing a 5 second dance routine. To me, the underlying message seemed to be "well, obviously, this whole basketball thing isn't going to keep you interested, so we better do all this other stuff on the side."

You know what I want to watch if there's a timeout on the floor? Nothing. I just want to think about the importance of the next play, and maybe figure out what sort of play the coach is drawing up. I think this is true of most fans who are really there to see the game.

But with the price of tickets, and lots of corporate customers, they don't want to market it as watching sports, they want to market it as a fun night out, win or lose. Definitely would be disappointing if hockey went the same way.

As far as ads on the uniform go, fortunately this is a league call, not a team call, so he won't really have any say in the matter anyway beyond casting one vote in favour.

So 10x in nhl history the #1 has been traded and almost every time the team got bit in the butt...tbh what lou would say yes to AZ would ruin their franchise so badly matthews would hate it lol...therefore welcome to hogtown auston !

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
You're high-up in MLSE. You put one ad on the jersey, nobody bats an eye. You put two on, nobody cares. You put three on etc. Where does it end? that's my issue with it. Do people really think it'll stop at one ad? Even if they did stop at one, it's more than enough. Screw the maple leaf and it's history, lets go with this

Anyone who thinks it'll be just some small subtle ad is only kidding themselves. Maybe they'll do that at first, but the point is to advertise, advertisers pay money to be out there, not tucked away in the corner. They wanna be up front. Swap the Chevy symbol for Wal-Mart, would you be okay with that?
History and tradition play a big role in why the sponsor is the largest portion on a team's kit to begin with. Rather than going for a giant logo in the middle of the shirt to help discern which team was which, clubs wore either a plain coloured shirt or had a crest over the left breast instead. Marketing took advantage of the given template in soccer and created what we know today.

The template of a hockey sweater doesn't allow for much leeway in terms of advertisements. A logo in the middle, stripes numbers on the arm, letter on the left breast for captains and alternates, stripes along the bottom... what's left? The lower back, the pants, the right breast, the shoulders, the forearms? It's not much. History and tradition, particularly in North America, have given the sport uniforms that don't leave much room for the inclusion of giant ads. The best marketing tends to be subliminal marketing anyhow. You don't need a giant neon sign to make your impression on the human subconscious. You'll be more likely to blind someone that way rather than get them to buy what you're selling.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
it's going to happen, so i figure just embrace it. like i think if it's at the bottom (or preferably on the pants), it should be fine. it shouldn't distract from the sweater.
Accepting horrible things isn't really a good thing though. It's like saying "well those animals are probably going extinct anyways so I'll just embrace that fact and start hunting..."

The only way to stop or limit things is to struggle like hell and make as big a stink as possible along the way. Because it might start inconspicuous but then turn into the pile of bile that are Euro team jerseys. That happens and I'm just going to follow hockey on radio so I never have to see that stuff on the ice.

Charles Chuck Finley

Apr 29, 2016
Toronto
A jersey isn't going to look better or classier, with ads on it. Every ad on a jersey cheapens the way it looks, including the reebok.

Many players in the league view logos in such high regard, that you're not even supposed to walk over it on the dressing room floor. They get upset when fans toss jerseys on the ice. That's the level of pride they have for the shirts they wear. It's similar to how a soldier never wants to see their flag touch the ground.

Ownership however, thinks fans (fanatics) should be alright with some small 'tasteful' ads being thrown on jerseys? It's not surprising to see that an outside consulting firm had to be brought in, regarding fan engagement, because these guys don't understand fans at all.

If the NHL wants to cheapen their look and make their players look minor league, just for a bump in revenue, go for it. As long as fans always have the option to buy the jersey without the ads, and without paying a premium for the privilege.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Accepting horrible things isn't really a good thing though. It's like saying "well those animals are probably going extinct anyways so I'll just embrace that fact and start hunting..."

The only way to stop or limit things is to struggle like hell and make as big a stink as possible along the way. Because it might start inconspicuous but then turn into the pile of bile that are Euro team jerseys. That happens and I'm just going to follow hockey on radio so I never have to see that stuff on the ice.

well no. :P

but i mean - as Grant pointed out ads are already on the jerseys. Rebook now, CCM before, (wasn't Nike on the jersey? - they were for the Olympics I remember that for sure). I don't think - for the most part they'll go European Hockey on us (or European Sports period).

But the way i see it is this.
If bringing in more money and they have to have a small (again. small) advertisement on the sweater, and it insures that the league can continue to function at the rate they are - vs. no ads and it could hurt the game - then I would vote for the small ad. because I'd rather have viable hockey vs. none. (i was going to write diminished but then I am a strong advocate for contraction :laugh: )

i just see it like this.
before no one wanted to have ads on the boards - but there are ads on the boards. and it doesn't distract from the game at all like people said.

no one wanted ads and stuff on the ice. but there are ads on the ice. and it doesn't distract from the game at all.

no one wants ads on the jerseys... but there are already ads on the jerseys. I think what people should be stressing is that they don't want it to be walking advertisements - which - i don't think they'll do, but this small 2 inch patch doohicker which is already tracking in the NBA (and I've heard the NFL might do it, i think) - shouldn't be an issue.

I also don't think that it would affect Jerseys. I know people who buy KHL jerseys and they don't have ALL the ads (if any) it's just a blank sweater.

I do believe you have to pick and choose your battles.
if they want the ad - fine. allow them the ad.
draw the line on where it is, how big it is, and how many.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Generally speaking, if i can surgically remove the ad after i purchase the jersey (as in, if it is a crest on top of the jersey instead of being a part of the fabric), then OK.

If not, then i'll go to the pirated market or buy a pre-ad one online somewhere or just not buy one.

...but i'll still watch hockey.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
They can do whatever they want to ruin their products. What they can't do if force me to buy their products or attend their games.

The last three lockouts should have shown us how little they value the opinions of the fan base.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
Honestly speaking, the way the footy jerseys look in the EPL doesn't bother me one bit. That nonsense shown above from the NLA...garbage. I can't even tell what team it is.

Hockey to me is a passion, to most owners it's a business. That's not news to us. I'm actually surprised it took this long.

I LOVE my Leafs, but ever since the lockout, I've boycotted actually going to a game or buying anything Leaf related. I'll support the team by watching them on TV and voicing my opinion in forums such as this one, but the owners can get their profits from corporate sponsorship.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Don't see the big deal.
I imagine ads will eventually come and will be league mandated. The evil MLSE won't just take it upon themeselves.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

Totally agree. I find Raptors games a bit much personally. Way too much going on, and at a certain point it distracts from the game itself.

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
One of the reasons iv'e never been able to get into European hockey has the jersey's always made them look really minor league. Just seems to throw tradition out the window and distances fans from immersing themselves into "their" teams cultures imo.
I'm also not a fan at all of corporate naming rights to arenas . It was so much more special to me al the old arena names . I'd be curious what the players themselves think on both counts. Also curious how they view modern arenas as in are they all just viewed pretty equally.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I don't have a problem with jersey adds at all. If I were able to choose, I would pick the soccer style with one large add than the Euro hockey style with tons of little ones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad