News Article: New ML$E boss wants to focus on fans... proceeds to say he's "fine" with jersey ads

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
They can do whatever they want to ruin their products. What they can't do if force me to buy their products or attend their games.

The last three lockouts should have shown us how little they value the opinions of the fan base.

Yes the last 3 work stoppages have been lock-outs not strikes. But owners locked out to get the upper hand. If they did not lock-out then the players would have the right to strike. (which they would have). Players would then be in the driver's seat as they could have played the entire 82 game schedule then called a strike prior to the play-offs. So it is OK to blame the owners but the players were just as greedy and didn't give a rat's ass about the fans either.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Let's rename a couple trophies while we're at it. Hopefully one of our rookies can win the Subway Fresh award next year.

Does it really matter what string of characters is used to label a trophy? How many people know who Art Ross or Dr. David Hart or Lady Byng are? Complaints about things like this always feel like "Wah! Wah! Wah! They're changing something. My poor widdle bwain can't deal with it" to me.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Does it really matter what string of characters is used to label a trophy? How many people know who Art Ross or Dr. David Hart or Lady Byng are? Complaints about things like this always feel like "Wah! Wah! Wah! They're changing something. My poor widdle bwain can't deal with it" to me.

Pretty sure that says more about you than anything. I don't care if they change the name of a trophy to something hockey-related, constant advertisements and product placement just make the product feel cheap and less enjoyable for me. There's more than enough of it in the game as it is.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto

It's tradition and people don't like change; the fact that they are speaking out against it is what matters because the alternative is people having no voice in the matter and there are much broader implications to that.

There are no 3rd party advertisements on jerseys today-- that is what I'm used to so adding even a little advertisement on a jersey is a change that I do not appreciate and my biggest concern is how much of the jersey space will be sold to 3rd party advertisers and where will it end. After a while people can get used to a little Canadian Tire patch on a Sens jersey but the next step could be that the Sens logo is a patch on the jersey and the Canadian Tire symbol is on the forefront, for example's sake.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
No logos?

I wonder if anyone has looked at their hockey gear and considered that they are advertising for:

Bauer on the skates
CCM on the helmet
Easton on the stick or gloves or pants

Or the rink you play in that advertises for local business along the rink boards, or even the score clock.

Jersey ads are already here for the manufacturer and are going to come for a bigger audience.

I'd be more concerned with ticket prices and the inflationary secondary ticket market.

There's a big difference between a Bauer logo on a pair of skates

There's a big difference between an Easton logo on a stick

There's a big difference between an Adidas logo on a jersey

There's a big difference between the Maple Leafs logo on a jersey

Than a ****ing McDonalds logo on a jersey. Or a Canadian Tire logo on a jersey. Or a Chevrolet logo on a jersey.

Do you see advertisements on the skates besides the manufacturer? How about the stick? Helmet? No, you certainly don't.

Things that belong vs things that don't belong.

I don't want to see anything besides the team and jersey manufacturing logo on a jersey. That's all that should be on a jersey. That's it.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

It matters. And the fact you can't see why it matters says more about you than anything else.

What would you say if someone decided to change the name of Canada to Hamperland or something? It's just a string of characters used to label a piece of land.

Wah! Wah! Wah! They're changing something!...I'm sure this is how you'd respond.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
There's a big difference between a Bauer logo on a pair of skates

There's a big difference between an Easton logo on a stick

There's a big difference between an Adidas logo on a jersey

There's a big difference between the Maple Leafs logo on a jersey

Than a ****ing McDonalds logo on a jersey. Or a Canadian Tire logo on a jersey. Or a Chevrolet logo on a jersey.

Do you see advertisements on the skates besides the manufacturer? How about the stick? Helmet? No, you certainly don't.

Things that belong vs things that don't belong.

I don't want to see anything besides the team and jersey manufacturing logo on a jersey. That's all that should be on a jersey. That's it.

Pretty much this.

Tradition and history mean a great deal to a lot of us. The league isn't hurting for money. It's simply to drive profits even higher.

Nothing more than another example of the greed that people who already live in excess, mind you, can't control. This idea should be battled tooth and nail, until the bitter end.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
I was against advertisements on boards, I was against advertising on the ice. Now when I see a game on TV (junior etc.) with no board advertising it looks naked and bush league. If they advertise on sweaters we will get over it eventually.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I was against advertisements on boards, I was against advertising on the ice. Now when I see a game on TV (junior etc.) with no board advertising it looks naked and bush league. If they advertise on sweaters we will get over it eventually.

Some might, but there's a large group of us who will not.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I'm with you. No need to worry about meaningless things that you have no control over.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I guess I am old school. Hate the idea even though I know it's going to happen. Having said that, I also hated Sportsnet getting exclusive rights to the NHL a few years ago. Wasn't wrong there either.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
If jersey ad profits knocked down ticket prices or concession stand prices then maybe, but we all know that won't happen. So shove that **** up your ass.

When is enough enough? When is a certain amount of revenue or profit enough?

NBA just got an abysmally large television deal so much that absolutely ludicrous amounts of money are going to be given to players to make it up to the CBA threshold...and yet they're still adding jersey ads. When is it enough?

ticket prices have VERY LITTLE to do with Leafs profits or league profits. Ticketmaster and companies like Ticketmaster are screwing everyone.

Prince had gone on record to say concerts would still cost 20-50 bucks if it wasn't for ticketmaster. He said Ticketmaster is evil, and hes right.

tickets go on sale at 10am and are sold out immediately. Meanwhile Stubhub has the same tickets you want on sale the night before. ticketmaster is a joke.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
What is your plan to battle it to the bitter end?

There are many avenues. Start by using the Liverpool supporters' reaction to ticket increases for next season. Fans acting (rationally) en masse can go a long way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad