New KHL Webcast Subscriptions

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
As I just said in the GDT, the webcast from Helsinki is still not working for me here, 30+ minutes after the start of the game. :shakehead The other 4 games are streaming fine, so it's not my Internet connection.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Now also the stream from St. Petersburg collapsed. :( Ak Bars game still running fine.

So, a bad first full game day for KHL.ru after all. I can only hope and pray the Slovan game later tonight will stream fine. (Otherwise, some paying customers would likely want to have their money back.)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Now also the stream from St. Petersburg collapsed. :( Ak Bars game still running fine.

So, a bad first full game day for KHL.ru after all. I can only hope and pray the Slovan game later tonight will stream fine. (Otherwise, some paying customers would likely want to have their money back.)

Hmm, pretty strange because I watched exactly KHL TV, and it's working right now. Or do they have different translations for Russia and abroad?

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Stream from St. Petersburg is now back up after about 5 minutes of not being available. Sigh. (And no, it's not the Internet signal, this is a fiber line.)

Still nothing from Helsinki at the start of the 2nd period. Even the thumbnail still shows a scene from the game in Astana, even in a different browser. I hope this is not some sort of blackout of the Helsinki game for viewers outside of Russia! :amazed:

It used to be the same Russian stream for all KHL.ru viewers regardless of location in previous seasons.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Stream from St. Petersburg is now back up after about 5 minutes of not being available. Sigh. (And no, it's not the Internet signal, this is a fiber line.)

Still nothing from Helsinki at the start of the 2nd period. Even the thumbnail still shows a scene from the game in Astana, even in a different browser. I hope this is not some sort of blackout of the Helsinki game for viewers outside of Russia! :amazed:

It used to be the same Russian stream for all KHL.ru viewers regardless of location in previous seasons.

Watching Hartwall Arena right now, it's still a break.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
55 minutes after game start, stlll no stream from Helsinki. Here is what I get to see, no matter which browser or device I try. (I tried 3 different iPads.) As you can see, the photo from the Astana game is still there below "Jokerit vs. Minsk" heading and beside Jokerit game highlights, and no, it's not my browsers' cache, as explained. The highlights work, but the live stream does not. After pressing the Play button, error messages pop up, as shown in the second screenshot. The other webcasts currently in progress are showing fine, except for that outage from St. Petersburg. :shakehead

KHL-ru-snafu.png

KHL-ru-snafu2.png

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Wow....... the Slovan stream is accessible, but it freezes every few seconds (both picture and sound), and is unwatchable. :help: :help: :help: Switching from HD to SD does not help.

I'm shocked, because Slovan's games used to run fine in KHL.ru webcasts in previous seasons. :amazed: :amazed: :amazed:

I hope that today's webcast disasters only apply to Day 1 of the new KHL season. Otherwise, I'd have to cancel my subscription and demand money back... :shakehead

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
How do you change the buffer? I can see no setting for it. Or do you mean rewind a bit? That doesn't help.

I stress I purchased the KHL.ru subscription because it worked excellently for me on my mobile devices (iPad, iPhone...) in previous seasons. I'm not interested in it if it doesn't work on iPad, iPhone, Android, etc.

Ironically, it's the 2 games I was most interested in today that do not work: Slovan and Jokerit. The other 6 games seem to be running fine. Is that perhaps because there is more interest in those "European" games here in Central Europe? A bottleneck of some sort, maybe? :amazed:

The Jokerit game is now running for me, but only on a desktop computer via Firefox. The mobile stream on iPad is still broken as before.

The Slovan stream is constantly freezing and buffering everywhere: on the iPad and on the desktop computer via Firefox, too.

Worst of all, the rewind functionality I praised so much doesn't work, either. I rewound something like 5 or 10 minutes so that there is sufficient time for the stream to "arrive"... but the same buffering and freezing occurs that way, too. And there are additional skips, so that the stream tries to "catch up" with the live game, skiping 10 or 15 seconds at a time here and there, so that the 5 or 10 minutes are slowly reduced to nothing.

Right now, Slovan apparently scored, but I haven't seen the goal due to the freezing and buffering. :rant: :rant: :rant:

I'll be looking for a KHL.ru tech support email address... If this doesn't improve on the following game days, this subscription makes no sense, and canceling it and getting money back (good luck with that...) would be the only option. :(

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Apparently another goal by Slovan... missed it as well. I'm only getting bits and pieces of the game, 10 or 15 seconds for every minute or so (happens both HD and SD, both via iPad and regular computer), but the Russian announcer is saying that Slovan is leading 2-0.

I found a tech support section in the Account settings on KHL.ru, so I'm sending them a message to let them know that neither the Jokerit game nor the Slovan game were watchable today. :cry:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Apparently another goal by Slovan... missed it as well. I'm only getting bits and pieces of the game, 10 or 15 seconds for every minute or so (happens both HD and SD, both via iPad and regular computer), but the Russian announcer is saying that Slovan is leading 2-0.

I found a tech support section in the Account settings on KHL.ru, so I'm sending them a message to let them know that neither the Jokerit game nor the Slovan game were watchable today. :cry:

You should ask your internet supplier as well. Yeah, if other streams seem to work, it's mostly the site's problem. But sometimes different channels work differently even on the same site. I've heard about such problems on Twitch.Tv

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Yeah, if other streams seem to work, it's mostly the site's problem.

Absolutely. It's improbable it has anything to do with my provider. The stream from the St. Petersburg game right now is running smoothly, great picture quality, too. But the mobile stream from Helsinki is just as dead as before. And the Slovan stream has now completely collapsed as well. No more buffering and freezing -- after launching the stream, I get around 30 seconds from the beginning of the game, and then the stream goes completely dead. Rewinding or fast-forwarding doesn't work either. It's neither live, nor delayed live, just a dead stream.

So, today was a nightmare for this KHL.ru subscriber. I can only hope this won't be repeated on future game days. Similar problems, especially at the beginning of a new season, sometimes also occur in NHL Game Center and on HockeyStreams.

I have now submitted the report to KHL.ru tech support, struggling with my Russian. Hopefully someone will take a look at it. :help:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Absolutely. It's improbable it has anything to do with my provider. The stream from the St. Petersburg game right now is running smoothly, great picture quality, too. But the mobile stream from Helsinki is just as dead as before. And the Slovan stream has now completely collapsed as well. No more buffering and freezing -- after launching the stream, I get around 30 seconds from the beginning of the game, and then the stream goes completely dead. Rewinding or fast-forwarding doesn't work either. It's neither live, nor delayed live, just a dead stream.

So, today was a nightmare for this KHL.ru subscriber. I can only hope this won't be repeated on future game days. Similar problems, especially at the beginning of a new season, sometimes also occur in NHL Game Center and on HockeyStreams.

I have now submitted the report to KHL.ru tech support, struggling with my Russian. Hopefully someone will take a look at it. :help:

If you aren't the only customer with such problems then I think they will try to fix it, but if it's only you then it can be complicated. And don't they have an English speaking support?

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
An interesting thing has just happened, as if in answer to the bug report I sent. ;)

Anyway, the Slovan stream on KHL.ru has just come back to life, it's running very smoothly on the iPad now, 2nd period underway (I missed the 2 goals by Slovan, but got to see 2-1 by Medveščak). ;)

When you look at the webpage now, the "HD" label for the Slovan game has disappeared. In the player, too, you can no longer switch between HD and SD broadcast. If what I'm watching now is SD, it looks very nice.

It appears someone managing the KHL.ru webcasts noticed that the stream wasn't working previously, they removed the HD functionality from the site for this game, and now it works. (And Slovan has just scored, 3-1.) :)

Also -- although this may be a coincidence -- the Slovan stream came back to life just after the game in St. Petersburg was completed and stopped streaming. I was not watching them both at the same time, of course, but it's a fact that as long as the game in St. Petersburg was underway, the Slovan stream wasn't working, but now it is. Perhaps there is an overall limit on capacity of KHL.ru streaming servers, many people were watching the St. Petersburg game, and as soon as that game was over and they went offline, the Slovan stream started working because of some released streaming capacity? :amazed: Just a theory as to what might be happening.

PS: Before the stream resurfaced, I, a paying KHL.ru subscriber, had actually started looking for pirate streams online, having no other option left, and it's only today I've discovered that the preferred "pirate hockey" site allhockey.ru has apparently gone bankrupt since last season. My hope is never to need to visit a site of that type again, after shelling out €89 for the KHL.ru subscription.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
An interesting thing has just happened, as if in answer to the bug report I sent. ;)

Anyway, the Slovan stream on KHL.ru has just come back to life, it's running very smoothly on the iPad now, 2nd period underway (I missed the 2 goals by Slovan, but got to see 2-1 by MedveÅ¡čak). ;)

When you look at the webpage now, the "HD" label for the Slovan game has disappeared. In the player, too, you can no longer switch between HD and SD broadcast. If what I'm watching now is SD, it looks very nice.

It appears someone managing the KHL.ru webcasts noticed that the stream wasn't working previously, they removed the HD functinality from the site for this game, and now it works. (And Slovan has just scored, 3-1.) :)

Also -- although this may be a coincidence -- the Slovan stream came back to life just after the game in St. Petersburg was completed and stopped streaming. I was not watching them both at the same time, of course, but it's a fact that as long as the game in St. Petersburg was underway, the Slovan stream wasn't working, but now it is. Perhaps there is an overall limit on capacity of KHL.ru streaming servers, many people were watching the St. Petersburg game, and as soon as that game was over and they went offline, the Slovan stream started working because of some released streaming capacity? :amazed: Just a theory as to what might be happening.

PS: Before the stream resurfaced, I, a paying KHL.ru subscriber, had actually started looking for pirate streams online, having no other option left, and it's only today I've discovered that the preferred "pirate hockey" site allhockey.ru has apparently gone bankrupt since last season. My hope is never to need to visit a site of that type again, after shelling out €89 for the KHL.ru subscription.

Allhockey.ru isn't a streaming site, it's a general hockey one. But if you change "all" on "on" and ru on tv though... And it works perfectly.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Thank you for the correction, Kshahdoo. The odd bird that I am, a paying subscriber, I'm not quite up-to-date regarding those sites. ;) I seem to recall it used to be a .ru domain earlier on, but then they switched to .tv.

I now have evidence that the fault was on the side of the KHL.ru stream, and had nothing to do with my Internet connection. (I'm not sure if my optical fiber line is 100 Mbps or 250 Mbps, but it's one of the two.) Guess what... even if you now launch the stream of the Slovan vs. Medveščak game from the archives:

http://video.khl.ru/events/207413

... it's buggy in exactly the same way (in exactly the same moments) as it was when they streamed it live! :amazed: That is, even in the archived stream, there are the exact same hiccups, constant buffering and freezing and skipping during the 1st period, as they were there live. Which goes to show that the stream itself was faulty, and not its transmission to me, because it would be impossible to reproduce exactly the same hiccups 10 hours later. In the archives, just as it was live, the game only becomes watchable around the start of the 2nd period.

Also, as I mentioned, during the 1st period of Slovan game, while watching it live, there was the switch from HD to SD broadcast, but the stream was unwatchable even after switching to SD. From approximately the 2nd period onwards, the HD switch disappeared (it's also missing in the archives), and the game became watchable in acceptable quality.

As to the Jokerit vs. Minsk game, it's posted to the archive just as it was shown live, as well: it starts with the final 5 minutes of the game in Astana. Whoever posts those games to the archives (perhaps it's fully automatic) must be praised for speed -- there seem to be no wait-times in the archives this season -- but they also don't seem to be checking what exactly they're posting to the archives. In the archived stream, now also on the iPad, the stream switches to the game in Helsinki after a few minutes. When watched live, though, the coverage from Helsinki was only available in the Adobe Flash stream (on regular computers). The mobile stream (MOV or MP4 or HTML5, I guess) from Helsinki was never shown live today, and it instead kept generating the error message captured in the iPad screenshot above.

I also received a prompt reply from KHL.ru tech support, but it did not resolve the issue. It reminded me of my experience with KHL.ru tech support from 2 years ago. Namely, whenever I asked them about some specific problem, they politely and promptly replied, but in the most general terms, without really addressing the specific issue I was asking about. The same thing happened today. Perhaps I should have emphasized that it was simultaneously that I was able to watch the other streams, while those from Bratislava and Helsinki were not working. And so, the reply I got from tech support today was that my Internet connection speed on the iPad was probably insufficient, with links to KHL.ru's general Help webpages, etc., so I learned nothing about how the issue can be resolved -- although I made it clear in my query that the 2 specific streams weren't working properly on a regular computer, either, not just on the iPads.

Another problem with reporting issues to KHL.ru tech support is that there seems to be no easy way of getting back to them. You receive a reply from them via email, but apparently that's it. If their reply didn't resolve the issue, you seem to have no way of letting KHL tech support know about it. In your profile on the KHL webpage, there is a list of issues submitted by you, going back several years, but only the issue areas are shown: you can't display any of the previously reported issues in order to review them (let alone update them!), re-read tech support's replies, etc. All you can do is submit a new query, even if the previous query is still unresolved. :shakehead I think back in 2012 I tried posting a follow-up question as a reply to the email I received, but received no further reaction -- the reply-to address of those emails is generic, and perhaps any replies sent to them via email do not even reach the proper recipient. I'll give it another try next time, though, should it become necessary.

As to Russian versus English, the English webpage for webcasts was for the first time ever launched only a few days ago, so in previous KHL seasons, I thought it safer to talk to KHL tech support in Russian. It takes me considerably more effort to type in Russian than in English, but I don't mind practicing. ;) Although there are bound to be errors in my Russian, I'm still confident I'm capable of clearly describing the issues I'm reporting to a Russian-speaking tech support staff.

Well, let's forget about this nightmarish Day 1. :) Perhaps none of these issues will reoccur for the rest of the season. As mentioned, similar "opening the season" hiccups are not unknown for NHL Game Center and HockeyStreams, either. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It appears is there was so much traffic they couldn't handle on the first day. One would think they should of tested the bandwidth in the pre-season, but hopefully this will get better as there will be less games at the same time and they will probably add more servers.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Well, the NHL and NHL Game Center definitely had this same problem when the recent lockout-shortened season was suddenly launched in February 2013. On the first game day, everything was so out-of-whack that not even the scores on NHL.com were displayed as text! :D The situation calmed down over the next few days.

As to "fewer games at the same time", I'm not so sure. Yesterday Thursday, there were "only" 10 KHL games, and KHL.ru was showing 9 webcasts. As far as I could see, 7 of those webcasts were fine (apart from a brief outage from St. Petersburg, but the HD picture quality from there was amazing otherwise), and only the 2 webcasts from Bratislava and Helsinki were problematic (not throughout the games, or only on the mobile platform).

Tomorrow Saturday, though, 12 KHL games are on the schedule, 10 of them are due to be webcast on KHL.ru, and they seem even closer together time-wise than yesterday's games, so the situation could be even more critical tomorrow. Let's hope for the best. :)

(PS: 13 games/10 webcasts next Monday, too...)

ult

Sep 21, 2009
About Novosibirsk, they will need some time to sort out some infrastructure issues and start broadcasting in HD, according to the head of KHL TV. But it will happen soon. So yeah, there is that, please don't yell at me, Faterson!

http://tv.khl.ru/news/43668/

About Lada. Here is what they have to say:
"По ситуации с трансляциями.
КХЛ в отличии от ВХЛ зарабатывает на продаже прав от трансляции, следовательно на Youtube матчей нет и не будет (кроме разве что финала плей-офф).

У нас на данный момент сложилась парадоксальная ситуация. Компания ВАЗ ТВ и клуб не могут договориться кто должен платить деньги за трансляцию для местного ТВ в лигу. Телевизионщики кивают на клуб, клуб кивает на телевизионщиков...

По регламенту съемка всех матчей производится полностью. Трансляция на видеокуб арены шла сегодня в полном объеме. Нам же остается пока только ждать разрешения этой ситуации, либо надеяться на КХЛ ТВ и "Россию 2"."

VAZ TV and HC Lada can't decide who's gonna pay for broadcasts (local TV channel should pay to KHL for tv rights), both think that the other one should do it, but they had cameras on the game and the live feed was streamed on the cube in the arena.

eal

Sep 5, 2014
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you can watch KHL games online for free in the USA at laola1.tv. The games are available on-demand also. Very good LEGAL site which offers much Euro sports including handball, volleyball, etc.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you can watch KHL games online for free in the USA at laola1.tv. The games are available on-demand also. Very good LEGAL site which offers much Euro sports including handball, volleyball, etc.
"Available in: Worldwide except BLR, CRO, FIN, KAZ, LAT, RUS, SVK" ... yeah, I noticed that too when browsing their ice hockey listings. I'm fairly certain I had to use a VPN last season, as I think there was a different geo-block. Anyway, for the lazy, here's where to find their KHL games: http://www.laola1.tv/en-int/khl-kontinental-hockey-league/50.html

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Laola is nice, but my experience with them was that they offered a very narrow selection of KHL games. And, of course, there was no "delayed live"/"on-demand from archive" option in case you couldn't watch a particular game live. Although I can see they are now offering "on-demand from archive" for the few games they carry.

Magnitka vs. Slovan webcast currently in progress (break after 2nd period), and the quality today is perfect, apart from a single crash in the 1st period, but reloading the stream worked instantly. So at least for now, it looks like the huge issues on Thursday may have been a one-time anomaly.

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I again praised too soon: there was repeated buffering in the 3rd period, so the experience was no longer perfect, far from it. Well, overall you can say it was acceptable for today, but the streams really need to be more reliable than this.

(PS: The game result was more than acceptable.) :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad