Speculation: New Jersey Offseason IX - The Summer of Shero Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I got thinking of Harrold earlier....

If used correctly, he's an ideal 5/6. Not flash, but can move the puck, put up OK points. Not a massive liability IF USED CORRECTLY.

I think he soured on us becauseDeBoer kept putting him in situations above his actual use. Remember when he played on the wing? He actually looked like a good 4th liner.

I'd take Harrold back for 900k. He wasn't complete trash, just used wrong.

While I don't disagree, on the flip side he would likely block Santini and/or Jacobs and I'd rather just see them at this point than Harrold. Granted, he wasn't as terrible as we've made him out to be, just wayyyy overused by Deboer.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I got thinking of Harrold earlier....

If used correctly, he's an ideal 5/6. Not flash, but can move the puck, put up OK points. Not a massive liability IF USED CORRECTLY.

I think he soured on us becauseDeBoer kept putting him in situations above his actual use. Remember when he played on the wing? He actually looked like a good 4th liner.

I'd take Harrold back for 900k. He wasn't complete trash, just used wrong.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
If Santini can't beat out a depth defenseman he's probably not ready for the NHL. Not that I want to bring Harrold back anyway.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Obviously getting ahead of myself but I just looked up the Free Agent class of 2017, and there are some decent names in there that I think would make some sense for the Devils.

Forwards

Justin Williams - Mr. Game 7.

Alex Steen - getting up there in age but he's a great player.

Patrick Sharp - He's a sniper. Probably not a fit in NJ but his 3 cups can't be ignored.

Jarome Iginla - A 1 year deal would be nice as we aren't so deep at RW.

Patrik Berglund - At the right price he could be a decent bottom six option. A fall back plan though for sure.

Ales Hemsky - Eh, but he's not bad.

No thank you to any of them. Not wanting to waste roster spots on aging forwards.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I liked Harrold when we had him! People on here were way too hard on him. He also helped the 2012 playoff squad. I don't want him back though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I liked Harrold when we had him! People on here were way too hard on him. He also helped the 2012 playoff squad. I don't want him back though.

He wasn't that bad of a #7 defenseman.

Certainly better than Mark Fraser and I really don't think he was as bad as Helgeson either.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

This just made me laugh so hard. I was so expecting a completely positive post but then at the end... But I don't want him back... :laugh:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That goal he scored against the Blue Jackets was probably our nicest goal we scored that season.

That along with that goal he scored against Detroit.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
That goal he scored against the Blue Jackets was probably our nicest goal we scored that season.

That along with that goal he scored against Detroit.

I was at that Detroit game. It was the only game I got to see live all year. Heart-wrenching loss but I remember trashing Harrold before the game and then he scored what I think was the first of the season. :laugh:

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Is there any chance Shero is waiting to see if we are in on vesey to finalize anymore signings?
Along with D, we could use another RW

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
No thank you to any of them. Not wanting to waste roster spots on aging forwards.

I wouldn't mind some of them on very short deals if we're waiting for some young players to develop. A guy like Sharp might come in on a 2-year deal to provide some veteran leadership and hold a spot until a Speers or Bastian is ready.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Is there any chance Shero is waiting to see if we are in on vesey to finalize anymore signings?
Along with D, we could use another RW

I don't see another RW coming in unless it's a PTO. We're looking at Palmieri, Bennett, DSP, and maybe Lappin down the right side. Anyone brought in would be injury insurance.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Oh god no to Harrold.
The guy is in his 30's , is 5 foot nothing , gets crushed all over the ice....
I was so happy when we finally got rid of him.
Sure there are worse players out there but not many lol.
Waaaaaaaaaaay rather try out Wiz Quincy or Jackman than a career AHL caliber midget that can't clear out the front of the net or take a hit .
Waste of a contract and roster spot even at league minimum.

Also the only worthwhile UFA's on that list are going to be signed by their teams, Burns and Oshie. The rest are too old and past their prime or way over rated .MDZ- do whatever it takes ..... he was run out of town by the rags. He is not that great.

Rest are decent if it was 2002. Williams? Iginla?....... Yes Iggy is a future hall of fame player but we have kids in our system that would be more effective for far less $$$.
If people haven't noticed.... Devils play a very fast paced pick pursuit style game now...... And you guys think Iginla Williams etc are desirable players???

Last edited:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Sign hudler and or pirri to 1-2 year deals. Call it an off season and roll with it

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
People really need to start accepting the fact that Shero traded for Beau to play him, not put him on the 4th line for an older UFA.

His career high is 49 games played to bank on him making a full season would be poor management. Still need another Rw maybe even 2

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I wouldn't mind some of them on very short deals if we're waiting for some young players to develop. A guy like Sharp might come in on a 2-year deal to provide some veteran leadership and hold a spot until a Speers or Bastian is ready.

They have enough veteran leadership. rather let the younger guys develop up in the NHL than fill a spot with another soon to be over the hill player like the team has been doing for a while now.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I generally agree that we should avoid contracts to older players out of their peak. Especially scorers with mediocre defense.

But a guy like Sharp or Iginla, if cheap enough, can have a great effect on younger players. Their reputations are cemented and they have had careers that outlasted everyone else in their draft classes. Regardless of the talent level they have, the preparation they put in is a big lesson to any kid coming up.

Signing one guy (next year) like that is not the worst thing. But then again the same is true for Vernon Fiddler on a cheap contract, so hey...

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I generally agree that we should avoid contracts to older players out of their peak. Especially scorers with mediocre defense.

But a guy like Sharp or Iginla, if cheap enough, can have a great effect on younger players. Their reputations are cemented and they have had careers that outlasted everyone else in their draft classes. Regardless of the talent level they have, the preparation they put in is a big lesson to any kid coming up.

Signing one guy (next year) like that is not the worst thing. But then again the same is true for Vernon Fiddler on a cheap contract, so hey...

If we're going to bring a veteran in, it may as well be Elias if healthy.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
His career high is 49 games played to bank on him making a full season would be poor management. Still need another Rw maybe even 2

But Lappin looks poised to fill that spot when needed.

Also a LW flip in a pinch.

Do we have a 4th line rw penciled in?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If we're going to bring a veteran in, it may as well be Elias if healthy.

I think he's talking about the 2017-18 season. But yes, I agree that if a veteran is being brought in this year, I want it to be Elias and only Elias.

In my opinion, I don't want any more forwards signed, unless their name is Elias or Vesey.

Don't need to sign any more forwards.
1RW - Palmieri
2RW - a C or LW that moves to the RW (Boucher, Zacha, or Cammalleri, preferably Cammalleri)
3RW - Bennett
4RW - DSP

My ideal forwards:
Hall - Henrique - Cammalleri/Bennett
Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri
Elias - Zacha - Cammalleri/Bennett
Kalinin - Fiddler - DSP
Extra: Josefson, Pietila

IF Vesey somehow makes it to NJ (the Fitzgerald and Kerfoot connection may go a long way) then Pietila goes down to Albany, Kalinin becomes an extra, Vesey takes (earns) either Bennett or Elias spot in the lineup, and whoever's spot he EARNS plays 4LW.

by the way - I asked Pittsburgh fans if Bennett can play both wings, and they said yes - He is a RW/LW. He plays both (Most NHL wingers can do both)

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I think he's talking about the 2017-18 season. But yes, I agree that if a veteran is being brought in this year, I want it to be Elias and only Elias.

In my opinion, I don't want any more forwards signed, unless their name is Elias or Vesey.

Don't need to sign any more forwards.
1RW - Palmieri
2RW - a C or LW that moves to the RW (Boucher, Zacha, or Cammalleri, preferably Cammalleri)
3RW - Bennett
4RW - DSP

My ideal forwards:
Hall - Henrique - Cammalleri/Bennett
Boucher - Zajac - Palmieri
Elias - Zacha - Cammalleri/Bennett
Kalinin - Fiddler - DSP
Extra: Josefson, Pietila

IF Vesey somehow makes it to NJ (the Fitzgerald and Kerfoot connection may go a long way) then Pietila goes down to Albany, Kalinin becomes an extra, Vesey takes (earns) either Bennett or Elias spot in the lineup, and whoever's spot he EARNS plays 4LW.

by the way - I asked Pittsburgh fans if Bennett can play both wings, and they said yes - He is a RW/LW. He plays both (Most NHL wingers can do both)
I don't know about Bennett specifically, but I think a lot of people have convinced themselves that playing an off-wing is easy because they don't want to bring in any more forwards. If it was that easy it would be done more than it is done.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't know about Bennett specifically, but I think a lot of people have convinced themselves that playing an off-wing is easy because they don't want to bring in any more forwards. If it was that easy it would be done more than it is done.

this I agree with

I think Cammalleri CAN do it and has done it before, but I am not sure I really want any other player to do that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad