Speculation: New Jersey Offseason IX - The Summer of Shero Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I'd imagine Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri and Cammalleri-Zacha-DSP being 2a/2b lines. Don't look too far into where the line is positioned in the mock lineup.

And, now that I think about it, 'sheltering' Cammy with lesser 5v5 minutes and giving him loads of special teams time could help mitigate his tendency to get injured.

I understand what you're trying to do but you don't pair up a proven 60+ point player with a rookie center unless and until you are 100% sure that guy is ready to make a major contribution. In other words you have to see Zacha do something first before considering that type of line combo.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I understand what you're trying to do but you don't pair up a proven 60+ point player with a rookie center unless and until you are 100% sure that guy is ready to make a major contribution. In other words you have to see Zacha do something first before considering that type of line combo.

This makes no sense.

It's not like the Devils have never seen Zacha play. There's a reason he was selected 6th overall. Pairing him with a 60+ point player is what you SHOULD do. Then make changes accordingly from there.

By your logic, should Zacha start on line 4 with Fiddler and Kalinin? Or should he start as a healthy scratch?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Cammalleri hasn't scored 60 points in 8 years, literally 2008-9 was the last time. I don't see any reason why they couldn't do that.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Cammalleri hasn't scored 60 points in 8 years, literally 2008-9 was the last time. I don't see any reason why they couldn't do that.

Clearly injuries are the reason. If we are assuming that he won't be healthy then the whole discussion is moot anyway.

There has been discussion of Zacha playing LW himself. Heck, he might even start the year in Albany. Regardless, you guys want to drop down what was our top offensive player before Hall and put him on the 3rd line? Ok, tell me what other team does something like that?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Clearly injuries are the reason. If we are assuming that he won't be healthy then the whole discussion is moot anyway.

There has been discussion of Zacha playing LW himself. Heck, he might even start the year in Albany. Regardless, you guys want to drop down what was our top offensive player before Hall and put him on the 3rd line? Ok, tell me what other team does something like that?

Zacha can't start the year in Albany

its either Devils or back to Sarnia

I do agree that Cammalleri won't be on the 3rd line though

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Zacha can't start the year in Albany

its either Devils or back to Sarnia

I do agree that Cammalleri won't be on the 3rd line though

Can't or shouldn't (rhetorical)?

People are getting too cute. Cammy is a Top 6 player at least to start. If injuries strike and we have to shuffle things then that's another story.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Can't or shouldn't (rhetorical)?

People are getting too cute. Cammy is a Top 6 player at least to start. If injuries strike and we have to shuffle things then that's another story.

he isn't allowed to since he is 19 and was drafted out of the CHL.

TG alluded to some loophole but I am not sure of the details of that

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

You said it yourself. His health is a major concern. That's just reality.

My post was more 'food for thought'.. we have a guy that perennially can't stay healthy. Now that we have Hall in the mix, and we're looking for Boucher to step into a larger role, is it really that absurd to suggest somewhat sheltering the oft-injured player and giving him easier minutes? ...so he, hopefully, can play a full 82?

Forget about the health issue... from a 'team development' standpoint, why would you not want a skilled veteran.. a top-2 dynamic forward for the team.. to spend time on a line with two guys getting their legs under them?

I mean, the alternative is a Boucher-Zacha-DSP third line. Which I don't think would jive. I just think it's in Boucher's best interest to play up where he's comfortable with Zajac and Palmieri... and I think it's in Zacha and DSP's best interest to play with a skilled, dynamic forward that's been around for a while.

Developmentally speaking... which has been one of Hynes' strongest motifs... this logic is sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad