Speculation: New Jersey Offseason IX - The Summer of Shero Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Pitt fans also said that Bennett was less effective on the left side when he was switched.

Camm has a history with it so i wouldnt be opposed. But i also dont believe they are going to bring back Elias next year. I think he might get a PTO but i think they will go a different route.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I used to be all for switching a guy but I'd like DSP and Bennett to get legit top 6 shots. DSP is more than a 4th liner. Technically he was 59th in RW points last season in under 65 games. That's pretty good. Bennett might actually be a good player when he's not injured too so I'd rather wait and see.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Rather sign another defenseman than forward at this point, to be honest.

I don't really see a spot for a d-man either.

These guys are definitely going to play.

Greene, Sev's, Moore, Lovejoy.

I think you have to give Merrill another shot, and I really want to see Santini get a shot.

That's your 6 imo.

Then you have Auvitu, Mozik and Helg on the sidelines.

Outside of a big move where we trade for a legit first pairing d-man, I'm cool with going with what we have and see how these younger/newer guys pan out.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I used to be all for switching a guy but I'd like DSP and Bennett to get legit top 6 shots. DSP is more than a 4th liner. Technically he was 59th in RW points last season in under 65 games. That's pretty good. Bennett might actually be a good player when he's not injured too so I'd rather wait and see.

Ya, DSP and Bennet are penciled in as the mid 6ers. Lappin on the outside waiting for oppurtunity.

Those are question marks, but like with the question marks on D, let's see if these guys can fill those spots. We have options.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

I think you have to give Merrill another shot, and I really want to see Santini get a shot.

That's your 6 imo.

Outside of a big move where we trade for a legit first pairing d-man, I'm cool with going with what we have and see how these younger/newer guys pan out.

I personally would like another stay at home vet defenseman in the mold of a Lovejoy to stabilize the younger guys, and I wouldn't be opposed to Santini starting in Albany. I think our defense will be fine (because I think Lovejoy gets underrated), but I wouldn't mind shoring it up. I'd just prefer another defenseman signing to another forward acquisition this off-season.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

That's your 6 imo.

Merrill hasn't proved much and ATM, we either have him or Moore on our 2nd pairing and that's a frightening thought right there. Santini will get his shot but I'm not counting on him playing all 82 games, as a rookie.

Adding a legit 2nd pairing left hand defender should be priority #1 for Shero cause we have a abundance of forwards who are knocking on the door.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

That's your 6 imo.

No offense, but I can't imagine how anybody could be satisfied with our defense at the moment. Santini, while a solid prospect, is still a rookie. Merrill, IMO (and others), is barely an NHL defenseman. None of the injury fill-ins are proven at all. Plus, if you had to guess, how many goals would you project from the entire defense? 15? I think our defense needs way more work than the forwards do right now.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
ideally, we need a LHD who can play on the PP. that would balance out the lines perfectly

Greene-Severson
XXXX-Lovejoy
Moore-Santini
Merrill

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
No offense, but I can't imagine how anybody could be satisfied with our defense at the moment. Santini, while a solid prospect, is still a rookie. Merrill, IMO (and others), is barely an NHL defenseman. None of the injury fill-ins are proven at all. Plus, if you had to guess, how many goals would you project from the entire defense? 15? I think our defense needs way more work than the forwards do right now.

I mean I think there's a huge divide on how people view our defense. A lot are okay with it and a lot are very concerned. I'm okay with it. It's better than last years depth when we iced Warsofsky and Helgeson. And it's not like Larsson anchored his own pairing.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

That's your 6 imo.

I don't think these are guys we should be relying on to play important minutes. These should be guys that fill in in the event of an injury. And we'll inevitably have one or two of those. At this point I think it's pretty much a necessity to bring in someone.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I'm all for acquiring a PMD for the left side. We need more offense from the backend. I feel confident in our ability to stop goals, just not driving play.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
As of now, we have good balance on our 1st and 3rd pairing with Greene-Severson and Moore-Santini. Lovejoy is a SAH d-man, so adding someone with more mobility would be ideal for our 2nd pairing. If Hynes decides to put Moore with Lovejoy, I'll be extremely nervous when Merrill-Santini will be on the ice.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Merrill hasn't proved much and ATM, we either have him or Moore on our 2nd pairing and that's a frightening thought right there. Santini will get his shot but I'm not counting on him playing all 82 games, as a rookie.

Adding a legit 2nd pairing left hand defender should be priority #1 for Shero cause we have a abundance of forwards who are knocking on the door.

I think it all goes back to: What is the plan for this season. If it's to compete for the cup, then yeah, merrill or Moore as 2nd pairing is bad idea.

But if it's to continue getting better while still allowing the oppurtunity for young guys to prove themselves then I see no issue.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I mean I think there's a huge divide on how people view our defense. A lot are okay with it and a lot are very concerned. I'm okay with it. It's better than last years depth when we iced Warsofsky and Helgeson. And it's not like Larsson anchored his own pairing.

I'm not sure thats true at all. To start the year:

Greene
Larsson
Schlemko
Severson
Merrill
Moore

vs.

Greene
Severson
Lovejoy
Merrill
Moore
??

give me last year's D over this year's easily.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not sure thats true at all. To start the year:

Greene
Larsson
Schlemko
Severson
Merrill
Moore

vs.

Greene
Severson
Lovejoy
Merrill
Moore
??

give me last year's D over this year's easily.

Schlem was not signed at this point last year, and no one was excited when he was brought in to camp. In hindsight we might look back and say he was a solid option, but at the time no one was thinking that.

And putting Santini in place of those question mark's changes the equation dramatically.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I think it all goes back to: What is the plan for this season. If it's to compete for the cup, then yeah, merrill or Moore as 2nd pairing is bad idea.

But if it's to continue getting better while still allowing the oppurtunity for young guys to prove themselves then I see no issue.

The plan should be (and I think it is) to put the best team on the ice without mortgaging the future. Merrill's growth shouldn't be much of a consideration.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

I honestly think that we're one top #4 d-man away from being relevant. We're currently a bubble team, so stabilizing our top #4 would put us with teams like Detroit, Rangers, etc for a wildcard spot.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Schlem was not signed at this point last year, and no one was excited when he was brought in to camp. In hindsight we might look back and say he was a solid option, but at the time no one was thinking that.

And putting Santini in place of those question mark's changes the equation dramatically.

I like Santini more than most people I would say, but that still doesn't mean I have confidence in a rookie playing big minutes

There can always be another signing, of course. I am just not sure who that would be and how much that they'd actually help. I like Wisniewski but he is a righty and who the hell knows if he is healthy.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think this is where I currently stand:

Hall-Henrique-Bennett (I am not crazy about this)
Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri
Boucher-Zacha-DSP
Josefson-Fiddler-Kalinin

Greene-Severson
Moore-Lovejoy (don't love this either)
Merrill-Santini

PP

Hall (front of net)
Palmieri-Henrique-Cammalleri
Severson

DSP (front of net)
Zacha-Zajac-Boucher