Eklund Rumor: New Jersey interested in Gaudreau

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Way too much coming from NJ.
lol no it's not. The comparable trade for Johnny isn't hall because johnny still has 2 full seasons of team control at a hell of a discount. The comparable trade (still not really comparable) is Blake Coleman.

2 1sts and Gusev is the price from NJ.

Someone will beat that, I have no doubt in my mind. Look at how desperate Buffalo is getting for example.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Its not on Hall, he is a great talent-but something drags those teams down, he is the common factor.

He’s relied on too much or given too much responsibility. That’s how it was in NJ at least. Every time he was on the ice the team mentality seemed to be “get the puck to Hall”. That’s why they played better as a team when he left.

As you said he needs to be in a secondary role and I think he’ll succeed. The question is is he will to take that role.

Honestly if there’s no bad blood between Hall and current Oil management I think he’d be great there. A top 6 with McDavid, Drai, and Hall? Scary.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
Has Hall been on a team that has had two good toplines or was it his line was miles better than any other.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
lol no it's not. The comparable trade for Johnny isn't hall because johnny still has 2 full seasons of team control at a hell of a discount. The comparable trade (still not really comparable) is Blake Coleman.

Someone will beat that, I have no doubt in my mind. Look at how desperate Buffalo is getting for example.
Nobody is beating two top 10 firsts and Goose and I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay that anyway. I like Gaudreau but the Devils aren't in a position to give up all of that for him, yet.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the Devils traded Adam Larsson by himself for Taylor Hall who had FOUR years left on his deal at the time of the trade and was younger than Gaudreau is now.

so yeah, lets not say "THIS IS THE DEFINITIVE PRICE!!" It just makes you look bad.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
the Devils traded Adam Larsson by himself for Taylor Hall who had FOUR years left on his deal at the time of the trade and was younger than Gaudreau is now.

so yeah, lets not say "THIS IS THE DEFINITIVE PRICE!!" It just makes you look bad.

Lol relying on a historically bad trade as a basis isn't a good idea. I'm countering this belief johnny will go cheap. Our only motivation to trade him is for a good deal, so it is going to take more than one 1st and some toss ins.

Even so- your example is pretty good. A recent top 4 pick with ample team control could suffice as the basis for a johnny trade. Do the Devils have one of those kicking around? 2 you say? Are you willing to trade us Hughes or Hischier? No? Well I guess we are right back to where we started lol.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
No one said he would go cheap....but potentially two top 10 first round picks and a good winger in Gusev is not "cheap"

Lets just say that if Gaudreau is traded, you're going to likely be disappointed in the return. Wingers who are approaching UFA status are not going to garner some star-studded package in return.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
No one said he would go cheap....but potentially two top 10 first round picks and a good winger in Gusev is not "cheap"

Lets just say that if Gaudreau is traded, you're going to likely be disappointed in the return. Wingers who are approaching UFA status are not going to garner some star-studded package in return.

We literally just traded Hall (in the last year of his contract) and Blake Speers for

1st round pick
3rd round pick
former 1st round pick Merkley
former 2nd round pick Bahl
former 3rd round pick Schnarr

That's a pretty solid return. Bahl has legit top 4 potential and Merkley and Schnarr could both still develop into players.

The fact is, we could trade Gaudreau for a similar package as we did for Hall in the case where Gaudreau is uninterested in re-signing (I think odds are favorable he'd want to stick around though).

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
We literally just traded Hall (in the last year of his contract) and Blake Speers for

1st round pick
3rd round pick

That's a pretty solid return. Bahl has legit top 4 potential and Merkley and Schnarr could both still develop into players.

The fact is, we could trade Gaudreau for a similar package as we did for Hall in the case where Gaudreau is uninterested in re-signing (I think odds are favorable he'd want to stick around though).
Johnny’s last contract negotiation was ugly. He must hate the Flames brass. Wouldn’t be shocked if he wanted out.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Lol relying on a historically bad trade as a basis isn't a good idea. I'm countering this belief johnny will go cheap. Our only motivation to trade him is for a good deal, so it is going to take more than one 1st and some toss ins.

Even so- your example is pretty good. A recent top 4 pick with ample team control could suffice as the basis for a johnny trade. Do the Devils have one of those kicking around? 2 you say? Are you willing to trade us Hughes or Hischier? No? Well I guess we are right back to where we started lol.

NJ apparently has an analytics group that the owners want to have more say in things than less say. I'm skeptical any analytics person worth their salt will suggest that giving away top picks for one extra year of a better offensive player (JG as opposed to NG) is good from a statistical point of view. The timelines don't mesh. If the stats pundits are to be believed, they are counseling that aging curves are catching up with players sooner. NJ already has one example in Schneider and may have moved on from Hall to avoid handing out a 7 year deal to a 29 year old player. Why revisit that with JG when you could have just kept Hall?

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

My3Sons

Sponsor

1st round pick
3rd round pick

I don't think any team in the league would trade a high first round pick for all those pieces if the upcoming first rounder isn't included and also throw in the team's top current offensive player. Saying someone is a former whatever pick doesn't matter at a certain point and I think Merkley is past his expiration date on that issue.

Reactions: mcjim

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Johnny’s last contract negotiation was ugly. He must hate the Flames brass. Wouldn’t be shocked if he wanted out.

Oh I'm certain of that, though I know a lot of it was directed towards Burke (as he was quite involved / heavy handed in that negotiation).

Unsure if those sentiments have changed though.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I don't think any team in the league would trade a high first round pick for all those pieces if the upcoming first rounder isn't included and also throw in the team's top current offensive player. Saying someone is a former whatever pick doesn't matter at a certain point and I think Merkley is past his expiration date on that issue.

Essentially it's trading a first for the added chance to extend Gaudreau before he hits UFA (with the added advantage of him getting comfortable with the team).

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

1st round pick
3rd round pick

The initial reaction to that trade was that the Devils went the "quantity over quality" route.

The pieces look better now because Merkley actually played really well, Bahl continued to ascend, the Yotes collapsed and the pick has a chance to be much higher than expected at the time it was secured

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Back in reality.... the Devels are going to suck for at least another 3 years, they're rebuilding. Wasting picks to acquire Gaudreau, just to lose, is less than pointless. You have two smaller, very young, high skilled centers that players will have no problem giving an extra shot or two. Take on Lucic, to protect the kids and we'll give you our 2020 1st for your trouble. The Devils continue rebuilding, heading to the draft with potentially 4 picks in the top 15. The Flames free up the capspace to acquire another top 6 player, to compete now.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Burke wasn't the GM, but he was the president of hockey operations for the flames when Gaudreau was signed.
Agreed. But Triliving was in the negotiations and the owners needed to approve. I remember Johnny got shafted. He’s done with that organization as soon as he can. 2022.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Is Calgary rebuilding? Why trade their best point producer (who is clearly in his prime) for futures?

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
Is Calgary rebuilding? Why trade their best point producer (who is clearly in his prime) for futures?

Gaudreau had an excellent year in 2018-19 but a mediocre year in 2019-20. One of the more interesting possible reasons given was that he switched stick companies and was not comfortable with the new brand of stick. Maybe. One would think a $6.75 million-dollar player would be able to deal with a new stick if he is worth that much. I know watching him both live and on TV that passes would bounce off the blade of his stick or he would whiff a lot of shots last year. Might be something to it.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Gaudreau had an excellent year in 2018-19 but a mediocre year in 2019-20. One of the more interesting possible reasons given was that he switched stick companies and was not comfortable with the new brand of stick. Maybe. One would think a $6.75 million-dollar player would be able to deal with a new stick if he is worth that much. I know watching him both live and on TV that passes would bounce off the blade of his stick or he would whiff a lot of shots last year. Might be something to it.

As a Canuck’s fan (and in-laws all retired out here:help:) of course I hate the Flames. But I love watching Johnny play. Think he’s a special player, and would love him on Horvat’s wing. Can’t afford him though. :(

My3Sons

Sponsor
Essentially it's trading a first for the added chance to extend Gaudreau before he hits UFA (with the added advantage of him getting comfortable with the team).

Im not sure NJ should be doing that yet. H They don’t have any semblance of a core yet. Maybe if Nico takes the next step and Hughes and Bratt and Smith improve and MBW is the real thing they will have the luxury of trading a potentially important piece of the future for an older player like JG. Great player but just not sure NJ is ready to do that yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad