Eklund Rumor: New Jersey interested in Gaudreau

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Is a deal like trading AZ’s 1st, Gusev/Bratt, and a prospect really hurting NJ? I would say not really.

It certainly doesn't help. And long term? Absolutely could be detrimental.

The devils aren't competing next year with JG, and can't sign him to an extension. Maybe the team is better. Congrats, we go from sixth worst team to ninth. So they get one worthless year of JG production and if they can't sign him to an extension, have to deal him at the deadline in year to for less than you have up to acquire him.

Lis earlier, it's the wrong year.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Hall stated he wants to go to a contender. Calgary isn't that. I think its pretty unlikely he signs there.

So count out most team as they are up against the cap . The teams that can pay Hall the going rate are not contenders . I also would count Edmonton out . No cap but Holland May be able to create too

RNH McDavid Kassian
Hall Draisaitl Yamamoto

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
So count out most team as they are up against the cap . The teams that can pay Hall the going rate are not contenders . I also would count Edmonton out . No cap but Holland May be able to create too

RNH McDavid Kassian
Hall Draisaitl Yamamoto

Honestly, depends on what he ends up wanting term wise. If the market is soft because of a flat cap and he's looking at like 8.5M as opposed to what I think he thought he was going to get, it may behoove him to take a single year deal from someone and hope the cap gets a push the following year. I don't know every teams cap situation with their ufa and rfas, but could someone like the Avs afford to pay him 8.5 for one year?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
It certainly doesn't help. And long term? Absolutely could be detrimental.

The devils aren't competing next year with JG, and can't sign him to an extension. Maybe the team is better. Congrats, we go from sixth worst team to ninth. So they get one worthless year of JG production and if they can't sign him to an extension, have to deal him at the deadline in year to for less than you have up to acquire him.

Lis earlier, it's the wrong year.

We have to start thinking like winners and stop being scared of the "what if’s".

The packaged proposed is almost similar to what we got for Taylor Hall, so no, I don’t see the big downside if ever JG decides to bolt.

If our goal is to build a contender via the draft, we’re heading into another 5 year process to get this team up and running. Our roster is very young and badly needs an injection of pure talent. Johnny Gaudreau is just that type of player.

Listen, I love Bratt but he’s nowhere close to Gaudreau. The pick would sting a little but the fact we’d still picking in the top #10 would soften that blow and we’d probably have an extra pick to work with around #17.

We have to get out of this rebuilding cycle and start adding legit talent on the cheap. There is no way in hell Calgary would even listen to such an offer if Taylor Hall wouldn’t be talked about potentially signing there as a UFA. If that’s the case and the Flames are on board, passing up on such a deal would be criminal IMO.

Let’s also view it the other way around. What if Johnny hockey has this wicked chemistry with Hughes or Hischier and wants to be the catalyst in turning this sinking ship around? We can give him the contract he wants since we have the cash and the cap space, he’s playing close to home, is with a franchise who’s looking to be on the rise with players the likes of Hughes, Hischier, Zacha, Foote, Boqvist, Smith, Bahl, Blackwood, the 6th and 17th overall picks, etc.

I hope management will be somewhat ballsy and not just sit back and wait to build a contender only by way of finishing last, or close to last, and adding picks. I’d try and make a huge splash by going hard after Gaudreau and Sergachev.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Hall had a great year in 2018 and showed a lot of heart but it’s really insulting to the rest of the team, who also played really hard to make the playoffs, to say he single handily carried them to the playoffs.

Reactions: Tkachuky

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Hall had a great year in 2018 and showed a lot of heart but it’s really insulting to the rest of the team, who also played really hard to make the playoffs, to say he single handily carried them to the playoffs.
I just disagree with the sentiment that Taylor Hall brings down all the teams he's on. He was easily Edmonton's best player through their worst years.

Then he goes to NJ who aren't any better and throws the team on his back, wins a Hart and they go to the playoffs.

Then he goes to ARZ who happen to have their starting goalie go down to start the new year and they slid a bit, but weren't out of it by any means.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
His contract will be done by the time NJ is competitive. I don’t see this aligning well
Agree and its also what would Calgary want in a trade.

NJ's main assets are draft picks and prospects. Hughes and Hischier are off the table because Gaudreau doesnt have a long term left on his deal.

Gusev or Palmieri could be used in a swap for Gaudreau but it depends on Calgary's asking price.

If they want a 1st, one of Gusev or Palmieri and a prospect, then that is probably too much for NJ to risk because in a year when Gaudreau is in the last year of his contract, NJ might have to trade him, and they are not going to recoup a similar return from a playoff team. Palmieri could easily a 1st at next years deadline so if they trade him and a 1st for Gaudreau, then it is the equivalent of trading 2 first round picks for potentially only 2 years of Gaudreau.

If Calgary would accept a younger roster player (than Palmieri/Gusev) but not as established alternative (like Zacha/Boqvist) along with a 1st round pick and a prospect (excluding Foote/Smith), then that deal is more appealing to NJ.

Reactions: Leafs87

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I just disagree with the sentiment that Taylor Hall brings down all the teams he's on. He was easily Edmonton's best player through their worst years.

Then he goes to NJ who aren't any better and throws the team on his back, wins a Hart and they go to the playoffs.

Then he goes to ARZ who happen to have their starting goalie go down to start the new year and they slid a bit, but weren't out of it by any means.

I don’t think he brings his team down in the sense that he’s a locker room cancer or has a negative attitude. At times he actually seemed like he could be a good leader.

I think he’s a very talented player who likes to have the puck but, in the case of the Devils, they relied on him to do too much. He’s always trying to make a great play which means he coughs up the puck a lot.

I don’t know if it was Hall’s departure that made the Devils play better. Maybe it’s not that they disliked having him as a teammate, maybe it’s just that the talent is being spread out instead of being put on the shoulders of basically one man.

If Hall demands that responsibility then yeah I can see him being considered a locker room cancer but it’s more likely that Hynes and Shero just used Hall more because they weren’t confident in the rest of the team. Now they’re proving them wrong.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Agree and its also what would Calgary want in a trade.

NJ's main assets are draft picks and prospects. Hughes and Hischier are off the table because Gaudreau doesnt have a long term left on his deal.

Gusev or Palmieri could be used in a swap for Gaudreau but it depends on Calgary's asking price.

If they want a 1st, one of Gusev or Palmieri and a prospect, then that is probably too much for NJ to risk because in a year when Gaudreau is in the last year of his contract, NJ might have to trade him, and they are not going to recoup a similar return from a playoff team. Palmieri could easily a 1st at next years deadline so if they trade him and a 1st for Gaudreau, then it is the equivalent of trading 2 first round picks for potentially only 2 years of Gaudreau.

If Calgary would accept a younger roster player (than Palmieri/Gusev) but not as established alternative (like Zacha/Boqvist) along with a 1st round pick and a prospect (excluding Foote/Smith), then that deal is more appealing to NJ.

Also, they just had Hall and saw that they are not one elite winger away. They need to build a good solid foundation, round up some depth and maybe take a run at Johnny as a UFA.

I personally think Hall is a better overall player so Gaudreau will likely not get them any further ahead than they were this year. On the flip side Johnny may also not want to stick around for a rebuild. He didn’t have many deep runs in Calgary.

in essence I don’t think it’s wise to rush a rebuild and especially in NJs case. If it was a 26 YO top D, sure go for it. Also makes sense if Calgary wants to dump his cap to take a run at Hall and are willing to accept a trade below his max value. Again from Calgary though it doesn’t really make sense. Gaudreau at 6.75>Hall at 8.5+

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
NJ:
Gaudreau

Calgary:
Damon Severson
Jesper Boqvist
Jeremy Groleau
2020 AZ First Round Pick (2020 Top 3 protected for AZ)

There are great prospect/pick packages from NJ, Philly, and NYR that can be made.

I'd love a 2020 1st (CAR) + Lundkvist + Buchnevich for Gaudreau from NYR.

That's way too much coming NJ. I'd accept this as a Flames fan and then run away with it.

An ideal offer would be AZ's 1st + Bratt or Gusev (whomever NJ wants to part with more) + Boqvist for Gaudreau + cond. 2023 2nd (given to NJ if Gaudreau doesn't re-sign there). If Gaudreau re-signs, then Calgary gets a 2023 2nd.

From my neutral perspective I'm not sure that top offer is that much of a haul for Calgary. Severson would have to clean up his game to even replace Hamonic. The prospects are projects. I'd probably prefer the NYR package you mentioned. Pick is a little worse but it has the better current player and better prospect.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Yeah NJ can’t afford to trade Smith or any other defender really. I’d be ok with the AZ 1st and Zacha and Goose/Bratt because we’re more stocked (not stacked) at center and wing and we probably have the three 1st round picks this year. If that offer isn’t enough I’d pass and wait to see if he wants to sign as a free agent.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You could always shift the value burden on Calgary by having conditional picks be part of a package for Gaudreau. They'd be picks down the line, but still. Calgary might agree if they are getting a free asset by signing Hall UFA

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
Well, many NJ fans want to keep Palms, plus, I don't think he would waive to Calgary. The other two mentioned are smallish wingers, but they'd be a decent fit as a middle 6 winger in Calgary. I know Gusev received a lot of flack from NJ fans originally, but it seemed like he was starting to really light it up before the break. Same as Bratt. Which one would NJ be willing to part with more? I like both of them, but it depends on your view of Gusev I suppose. Would he re-sign in New Jersey? Would Bratt be the better long term option for the rebuilding team, even though he may be the lesser valued player in comparison to Gusev?
Jumping in late here but I am very willing to move Bratt.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Allow me to disagree.
I firmly believe that Hall is the biggest demotivating player in the league.
Everywhere he has gone, he has brought the team down.
You must not have ever watched Taylor Hall play because youre as wrong as wrong can be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad