GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Washington Capitals: 1,000 Games of Travis Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
The defense imploded this weekend! Vats was atrocious in both games, Murray with the spin-o-rama penalty, PK is umm, Kulikov had some terrible giveaways, and this was probably Sevs worst game. Most of the veterans are still struggling. I’m happy Palms broke out offensively, but he has caused a lot of dumb turnovers. Goose!? I love Zajac but he should be living the dream on the “4th” line. He gets a pass for most likely having the best F/O percentage and (1,000)!!

I hope people realize “youthful exuberance” is the reason why the Devils have a winning record.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
The defense imploded this weekend! Vats was atrocious in both games, Murray with the spin-o-rama penalty, PK is umm, Kulikov had some terrible giveaways, and this was probably Sevs worst game. Most of the veterans are still struggling. I’m happy Palms broke out offensively, but he has caused a lot of dumb turnovers. Goose!? I love Zajac but he should be living the dream on the “4th” line. He gets a pass for most likely having the best F/O percentage and (1,000)!!

I hope people realize “youthful exuberance” is the reason why the Devils have a winning record.

being passionate is one thing and thats why we're all here but get a grip

…..although, a good vent can be cathartic at times.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s familiarity and experience and talent. When Salvador talks about 2010-11, that unit was bolstered by bringing in Talinder and Volchenkov the season before. Both those guys were on their top PK units and top PKers.

Murray isn’t in the same league as they were in terms of PK, but he and Severson are the most
used pair because of their comparative experience and success. We don’t have anyone other Zajac and Zacha who are historically great at PKing. And unfortunately they never PKed together and they aren’t particularly great together.

The lack of experience is compounded by absence of a real pre-seasons camp, including pre-season games, and time for actual practices.

I don’t see how his point conflicts with criticisms about the coaching either. I would throw Nasreddine in woodchipper, I’ve wanted him fired since forever, but it’s a PK including rookie forwards, non-PKers and all new defense pairings. Plus we didn’t bring specifically high end PK vets, Murray’s the closest to that he’s not Volchenkov. You can want it to better but still accept that it’s hard for the players and coaches to put it all together right now.

Nevermind we were missing some players for the short camp we did have.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I agree, but I'd counter with a flurry of 'most important things':

Lindy Ruff's system has helped Severson become a #1, allowed a rookie Ty Smith to flourish - and Fitz's signings stabilized our defense...

oh, and MacBlack is a star too.

Very impressed with the skill level of Ty Smith he can really handle the puck, with a lot of confidence too...Impressed with the way Ruff lets them go back out after a mistake learn and improve on it that will boost the confidence levels of the younger players....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad