GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Washington Capitals: 1,000 Games of Travis Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Sal is definitely right with us having a bunch of new PK players. I'm sure it doesn't help that they probably haven't had time to practice it as much as they might during a "normal" season.

Reactions: glenwo2

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

200.gif

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
If there’s ever a season to excuse special teams it’s this year. It’s also the other 6 teams or whatever that didn’t make the bubble. Special teams is a one to one in input/output with practice. Throw in a new coach and yeah they’re not going to just click right away. There’s only so much they can practice given the timeline. It looks like they’ve focused on 5 on 5. These games are practically practice for hischier right now.

also the caps are a horrid matchup. A team of absolute professionals with skill and size. They took advantage of this team but also realize they got punched in the teeth a few times.

I have no complaints with how this game ended up. Especially if they come out and dominate this week.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If there’s ever a season to excuse special teams it’s this year. It’s also the other 6 teams or whatever that didn’t make the bubble. Special teams is a one to one in input/output with practice. Throw in a new coach and yeah they’re not going to just click right away. There’s only so much they can practice given the timeline. It looks like they’ve focused on 5 on 5. These games are practically practice for hischier right now.

also the caps are a horrid matchup. A team of absolute professionals with skill and size. They took advantage of this team but also realize they got punched in the teeth a few times.

I have no complaints with how this game ended up. Especially if they come out and dominate this week.

This match-up should start to switch our way in the future as our speed will give them problems.

But we need more experience and special teams to find its way since the Caps always have a dangerous PP.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
This match-up should start to switch our way in the future as our speed will give them problems.

But we need more experience and special teams to find its way since the Caps always have a dangerous PP.

for sure. We can go the slow route of gaining experience by playing 400 games of a young lineup together and deal with the growing pains. Or the fast route and try to acquire the right veteran presence and player in their prime. I think we’re taking the slow route since shero left and I’m ok with that.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I love Sal but cmon that list is a joke, how many games did Anderson and Mermis actually play. We're obviously missing Greene and Coleman but after that it's pretty much what we have now, even missing those guys there's no way in hell an NHL PK should be this horrifically bad even if we trotted out Cam f***ing Janssen on the top unit.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017

this was the turning point of the game.

have no idea what Johnsson is doing here and also why oshie wasn’t called for a penalty.

Reactions: Jack Be Quick

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA

this was the turning point of the game.

have no idea what Johnsson is doing here and also why oshie wasn’t called for a penalty.

i actually think it was before then. The shift they scored the 2nd goal on was a bad read by Vatanen. He blindly passed it to a corner where i think it was Sheary was clearly already occupying. If he had more awareness and shot it stronger on the wall / held onto it and waited for a team mate to help, they wouldnt have gained possesion so quickly and gotten that shot from the point.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
i actually think it was before then. The shift they scored the 2nd goal on was a bad read by Vatanen. He blindly passed it to a corner where i think it was Sheary was clearly already occupying. If he had more awareness and shot it stronger on the wall / held onto it and waited for a team mate to help, they wouldnt have gained possesion so quickly and gotten that shot from the point.
Yeah I didn’t like that possession either but thought the play I referenced was a huge momentum shift. Devils could have gained the zone comfortably with Washington on their heels. Instead they had a miscommunication maybe? Turned the puck over and got called for a penalty that was a result of that turnover.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I love Sal but cmon that list is a joke, how many games did Anderson and Mermis actually play. We're obviously missing Greene and Coleman but after that it's pretty much what we have now, even missing those guys there's no way in hell an NHL PK should be this horrifically bad even if we trotted out Cam f***ing Janssen on the top unit.

The bottom of that list is questionable, but I think his general point of those top PKers having experience (both individually and working as a unit) is very valid.

Reactions: JK3 and BurntToast

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Ironically the last time our PK was this bad was the season Deboer kept throwing a washed up Salvador over the boards for every penalty kill.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It’s familiarity and experience and talent. When Salvador talks about 2010-11, that unit was bolstered by bringing in Talinder and Volchenkov the season before. Both those guys were on their top PK units and top PKers.

Murray isn’t in the same league as they were in terms of PK, but he and Severson are the most
used pair because of their comparative experience and success. We don’t have anyone other Zajac and Zacha who are historically great at PKing. And unfortunately they never PKed together and they aren’t particularly great together.

The lack of experience is compounded by absence of a real pre-seasons camp, including pre-season games, and time for actual practices.

I don’t see how his point conflicts with criticisms about the coaching either. I would throw Nasreddine in woodchipper, I’ve wanted him fired since forever, but it’s a PK including rookie forwards, non-PKers and all new defense pairings. Plus we didn’t bring specifically high end PK vets, Murray’s the closest to that he’s not Volchenkov. You can want it to better but still accept that it’s hard for the players and coaches to put it all together right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->