GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Washington Capitals - 7:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The odd man rushes will calm down when they stop flubbing all their passes
Ya for as strongly as i am arguing that the break downs were the real culprit last night. Its not something im overly concerned about. Id say its near impossible to give up that many odd mans game in game out.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Not sure why the Defense and Schmid both being bad last night is not possible. I have some faith Marino will figure his game out cause he did last year, and if not Nemec can hopefully get called up to take some minutes. Even Luke on the right side seems to work and maybe he can play higher up if necessary.

Schmid we have no answer internally for 2nd/3rd goalie right now. Erik Kallgren is probably worse, a trade and Schmid going back to the AHL would probably have to happen.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yeah, and the response to this from the more talented Devils skaters was to stink it up just as bad in front of him. I wonder if they were saying the same thing on the bench "Yo Akira, I know we make way more millions than you do and are expected to be top tier players, and you're at best an average joe goalie with not even 100 NHL games under your belt who looks shaky right from the first shot, but can you be the one to step it up and play well for the rest of the game? We just don't feel like it tonight, sorry bud!"
The response to him shitting his pants and getting pulled after period 1 was to score 4 consecutive goals.

Reactions: Hisch13r

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Not sure why the Defense and Schmid both being bad last night is not possible. I have some faith Marino will figure his game out cause he did last year, and if not Nemec can hopefully get called up to take some minutes. Even Luke on the right side seems to work and maybe he can play higher up if necessary.

Schmid we have no answer internally for 2nd/3rd goalie right now. Erik Kallgren is probably worse, a trade and Schmid going back to the AHL would probably have to happen.
Dude, we've had this discussion, this is the internet and more importantly HF boards. Pick a side and ignore everything else. Those are the rules, get with it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
this is kind of the point though right. We have a young goalie who is looking shakey. What are our options?

Play better d in front of him and hope he settles down.

Or

Make a trade for who knows what.

The response to him shitting his pants and getting pulled after period 1 was to score 4 consecutive goals.
And them proceed to give up that lead via two more breakdowns.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010

Both are in fact possible and that's what happened. The difference is that some people think it's reasonable to expect the (maybe) average goalie who has like 50 games of NHL experience to bail out the top skaters in front of him who's response to said goalie looking shaky is to shit their pants in their own end.

Yeah and then they shit their pants again to start the third period, with a different average goalie in net.

How can we expect more from those guys than the goalie who's barely played in the NHL and hasn't even proven anything yet? Very reasonable.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Breakdowns occur. That’s why giving up a goal every time there’s a remotely dangerous chance kneecaps a team’s chances of winning. You have to make some saves.
How many breakdowns is acceptable? I would argue last game the number of breakdowns, especially to the capitals, is unacceptable.

Just saying “you have to make some saves” really does seem like handwaving away the volume of breakdowns last night.

There could have been some saves and there also could have been half as many breakdowns.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
How many breakdowns is acceptable? I would argue last game the number of breakdowns, especially to the capitals, is unacceptable.

Just saying “you have to make some saves” really does seem like handwaving away the volume of breakdowns last night.

There could have been some saves and there also could have been half as many breakdowns.
I thought the number of failed clears was egregious last game. I’m not sure how many of those actually ended up as dangerous chances on frame though.

Reactions: glenwo2

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

We had almost twice the number of scoring chances and high danger chances that the Caps had.

People will discredit the numbers but while the D needs to be cleaned up and you want to limit the chances on your goalie, the Caps goalie who was playing in his first NHL game made some big saves while facing more scoring chances and high danger chances, including 3 breakaways.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
We had almost twice the number of scoring chances and high danger chances than the Caps.

People will discredit the numbers but while the D needs to be cleaned up and you want to limit the chances on your goalie, the Caps goalie who was playing his first NHL game made some big saves while facing more scoring chances and high danger chances.
I call bullshit on this. I was at the game, lower bowl, watched every second of it. The only time we were getting more scoring chances was in the second period, and quite unsurprisingly their no name goaltender was not able to come up with enough big saves.

There is no way in hell we got twice as many scoring chances than the caps in periods one and three.

This is just wild stuff. How could any hardcore hockey fan who didn’t just start watching the sport like yesterday, question if what we saw yesterday was bad hockey?

It was bad hockey. Against an inferior opponent no less. How can this be up for debate, because some xG stat says otherwise? That’s just ridiculous.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Seriously, people are twisting themselves into pretzels here. Just make a save...how about just not allow a million two on ones in the same game? More than one thing can be true at the same time, the goaltending can be bad and the D can be bad in the same game. Kind of explains a loss to a lottery team, no? How about giving a professional effort for more than twenty minutes last night? They looked like the '80's Oilers in the second period and the other two periods they got a combined eight shots on net.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We had almost twice the number of scoring chances and high danger chances that the Caps had.

People will discredit the numbers but while
the D needs to be cleaned up and you want to limit the chances on your goalie, the Caps goalie who was playing in his first NHL game made some big saves while facing more scoring chances and high danger chances, including 3 breakaways.
Im not an anti numbers guy in general but yeah….

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

People will discredit the numbers but while the D needs to be cleaned up and you want to limit the chances on your goalie, the Caps goalie who was playing in his first NHL game made some big saves while facing more scoring chances and high danger chances, including 3 breakaways.
People need to stop with this...all the scoring chances they had literally came in one period of play when they were giving Game 7 in a playoff series desperation effort after they embarassed themselves in the first period against a bad team, then ran out of steam in the third period as a result or got their momentum sapped by the early goal.

And I don't take any metric seriously that says scoring chances were 2-1 last night, unless we had like fourteen scoring chances (at least thirteen in the second period) which...maybe and they only had seven which I doubt since basically every goal was a legit scoring chance, whatever you think of the quality of the goal allowed. And Vitek stopped several scoring chances in the second period as well.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yes. It is absolutely bad hockey.
1698355467155.jpeg

Cue the screeching.

We played poor by our standards and still win the game more often than not with a modicum of goaltending.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
View attachment 758286

Cue the screeching.

We played poor by our standards and still win the game more often than not with a modicum of goaltending.
This is akin to saying nobody can disagree with this metric because it’s perfect, or at least so strong that watching the entire game still leads to no possibility of argument.

Not that the coach is a perfect metric but the coach that has criticized the goalies in prior games instead eviscerated the skaters for poor defense in his post game.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
View attachment 758286

Cue the screeching.

Posting this is becoming borderline parody. Please stop. I was in person noticing in real f***ing time how shitty they were playing.

“If we got a modicum of goaltending”….when the entire group of skaters (who are all better and more proven at their respective positions than the goalie) are out there playing absolute shit hockey in their own end, focusing your ire on Akira “I haven’t proven jack shit yet” Shmid is really goddamn absurd.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
This is akin to saying nobody can disagree with this metric because it’s perfect, or at least so strong that watching the entire game still leads to no possibility of argument.

Not that the coach is a perfect metric but the coach that has criticized the goalies in prior games instead eviscerated the skaters for poor defense in his post game.
I’m actually not particularly interested in talking about this anymore lol. We had way more scoring chances than the other team, by the numbers and by my eyes. The goalies stunk, by the numbers and by my eyes.

It’s lazy analysis, just slap down someone else’s chart or stat and it’s gospel
I missed where someone posted that and presented it as definitive analysis? You’re free to watch the game again and track it yourself. I doubt you’ll be left with the conclusion that Washington outplayed us.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Seriously, people are twisting themselves into pretzels here. Just make a save...how about just not allow a million two on ones in the same game? More than one thing can be true at the same time, the goaltending can be bad and the D can be bad in the same game. Kind of explains a loss to a lottery team, no? How about giving a professional effort for more than twenty minutes last night? They looked like the '80's Oilers in the second period and the other two periods they got a combined eight shots on net.
Do u have something against pretzels?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Posting this is becoming borderline parody. Please stop. I was in person noticing in real f***ing time how shitty they were playing.

“If we got a modicum of goaltending”….when the entire group of skaters (who are all better and more proven at their respective positions than the goalie) are out there playing absolute shit hockey in their own end, focusing your ire on Akira “I haven’t proven jack shit yet” Shmid is really goddamn absurd.
Yeah, that isn’t what occurred. The hell were you watching if you think Jack, Toffoli, Meier, or Luke played “absolute shit hockey”?

The game was made almost impossible to win because we didn’t get any saves. We can play like that most nights and still battle for the playoffs. We get goaltending like that, and we’re in the basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad