GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Tampa Bay Lightning 7:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Pete gets a lot of **** so I'm just pointing out something he should be given credit for. This is a lousy roster with little hope of getting better, but the team competes the majority of the time. Don't confuse the lack of skill for a team that doesn't give a ****.

This is why I don't understand the booing. If they weren't trying: fine. If they were doing stupid things on the ice: fine. Boo Ryder for the penalty. Boo Zids for his penalties. But to boo the team for giving up a goal in the last minute when they killed off six minutes in penalties and clearly were trying their best against a better opponent? That's dumb.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Glad Kink got the win, disappointed we got 2 points though lol.

No way we are making the playoffs , I do NOT want to finish just good enough to just miss playoffs , finish 9th-10th and end up with a ***** draft pick.

I have always supported DeBoer for the most part (I think he does a good job for what he has to work with)
BUT .... I cannot stand three things he does that makes me so angry I could club a baby seal.

1. His infatuation with Peter Harrold..... The guy is a career AHL'er. He would not get a sniff with any other NHL team in the league. He is a sawed off midget 5 foot F$&@# -all pansy that gets crushed and tossed around constantly. Gets ice time over Larsson ....
Tonight he is on the ice trying to hold a one goal lead with goalie pulled...
Of course there is going to be an epic cluster fluck war zone in front of our net...lets send out our smalles crappiest weakest Dman to clear the front of the net and protect the lead........:rant:

2.Double standards / no accountability for vets. Zids can take 762 stupid penalties in a row , all leading to goals against , and he is out for his very next shift. Gelinas takes penalty for delay of game by accidentally shooting puck over the glass while under pressure.... He is benched for a week.
Salvador gets lit up and coned on the PK (teams were actually setting up their PP to isolate and work down low on Salvador's side) , had the worst PK in the entire NHl almost with him in the lineup... And he still got thrown over the boards to start every PK. Larsson helps turn PK completely around , gets benched if he makes a bad outlet pass....

3. Overuse of Gio. He has like a 7% face off win %.
He is on pace for about 14 career NHl goals. I love his heart and brings speed on the forecheckbut he needs to be launched into outer space or put on the wing on the 4th line and play 4th line minutes.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
what teams do you see in the NHL that dog it every night?

I never said that there are teams that dog it every night. What I'm saying is that we have a team here that has a hell of a lot going against it seemingly every game it plays, yet they continue to keep a good morale and actually try to give a good effort the majority of the time. I think Pete does a really good job of keeping things together. All you have to do is look back to 2010 when this team went off the rails under Jmac. That is what total chaos looks like. I think Pete and the team deserve credit for not letting it get to that point because it can easily happen.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

No way we are making the playoffs , I do NOT want to finish just good enough to just miss playoffs , finish 9th-10th and end up with a ***** draft pick.

I have always supported DeBoer for the most part (I think he does a good job for what he has to work with)
BUT .... I cannot stand three things he does that makes me so angry I could club a baby seal.

1. His infatuation with Peter Harrold..... The guy is a career AHL'er. He would not get a sniff with any other NHL team in the league. He is a sawed off midget 5 foot F$&@# -all pansy that gets crushed and tossed around constantly. Gets ice time over Larsson ....
Of course there is going to be an epic cluster fluck war zone in front of our net...lets send out our smalles crappiest weakest Dman to clear the front of the net and protect the lead........:rant:

2.Double standards / no accountability for vets. Zids can take 762 stupid penalties in a row , all leading to goals against , and he is out for his very next shift. Gelinas takes penalty for delay of game by accidentally shooting puck over the glass while under pressure.... He is benched for a week.
Salvador gets lit up and coned on the PK (teams were actually setting up their PP to isolate and work down low on Salvador's side) , had the worst PK in the entire NHl almost with him in the lineup... And he still got thrown over the boards to start every PK. Larsson helps turn PK completely around , gets benched if he makes a bad outlet pass....

He is on pace for about 14 career NHl goals. I love his heart and brings speed on the forecheckbut he needs to be launched into outer space or put on the wing on the 4th line and play 4th line minutes.

Pretty much this. I don't think Pete is a bad coach but the few things he does that I don't like, I REALLY don't like.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'll throw the hyperbole out there. In 2-3 years we might have the best blue line in hockey.

I'm that high on this group, especially when you add Santini in.

I like your hyperbole. Gives us something to be optimistic about in the rough stretches of this season.

Santini is a sweet prospect. He'll make our blue line even stronger in the not-too-distant future. Few organizations can draft defensemen like the Devils, that I will say for our scouting staff.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I had a feeling Dano would be brutal. I wasn't impressed with him at all when he took part in the test drive towards the end of last season. He talks like he has a mouthful of marbles. Steve is average at best. The Red Bulls fans on here seem to think he's better at soccer than hockey. I can't really vouch for that since I don't get those broadcasts but it wouldn't surprise me. Deb looks like a barbag half the time and asks hilariously awful questions. The whole thing is amateur hour.

Yeah, Dano is just physically painful to listen to. He either shouts into the microphone or stumbles over his words like he's speaking through a mouthful of gravel. He also normally doesn't know what happens until he sees a replay, so he doesn't provide much in the way of insight.

Deb just looks like she rolled out of bed and forgot to brush her hair most of the time. Her interviews are so awkward. She's just belch.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
He's got 150 games under his belt counting playoffs and has looked very underwhelming thus far. Not some wet behind the ears rookie. He doesn't skate very well and doesn't have a great shot either that would make him a weapon back there.

His top end is ordinary. He just seems like the best he'll ever be is average

I think Larsson probably tops out at as a second pairing, reliable defenseman, but I don't think he'll be totally useless to us. I'm more impressed with Severson and Merrill, but at least Larsson has shown that he is an NHLer, so he's not a total bust or anything. I also like him better than Gelinas.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Breathe.

Re: Harrold - who else was supposed to be out there?

Re: Zids vs. Gelinas - not sure what you want here...Zids to be benched for a week? At least the youngsters have a chance to learn by being held accountable.

Re: Gio - see Harrold above. Gio was our *third line* center tonight.

I've liked these past two games. My issue with Pete are games like the ones in Dallas, Washington, and Philly. Even with the current line-up, this team shouldn't be giving up more than two goals a game. It's about getting the team to play with structure and poise. Pete's ability to eliminate the games where the Devils give up 4+ goals against is how I'm judging him.

lachyrm

Jun 3, 2010
Pretty much this. I don't think Pete is a bad coach but the few things he does that I don't like, I REALLY don't like.

I think it's pretty insane that Gelinas gets benched for the third any time we have a lead. The team habitually gives up two goal leads and almost never pushes it to a three goal lead. If you're always giving up the leads anyhow, may as well throw caution to the wind and put the guy who might give you a chance at extending the lead out there.

Plus, you're precluding him from being out there in big situations and rising to the occasion. I'm not talking about him being out there in the last 2 minutes or anything, but there has to be a middle ground.

Then Geli always gets shoved out there once it gets pushed to OT after sitting an entire period.

It's just emblematic of how the team is content to just hope and pray that the lead stands up, and it's clearly not working. It just grinds my gears all the way around.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kinkaid has been real fun to watch too. Didn't someone say he's like a butterfly Marty?

He's also gotten us at least a point in all his starts. He's been arguably our best player in the games he's played.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Kinkaid has been real fun to watch too. Didn't someone say he's like a butterfly Marty?

He's also gotten us at least a point in all his starts. He's been arguably our best player in the games he's played.

And he has gotten some tough teams to play against too. I've been very pleased with his performance thus far:nod:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I think it's pretty insane that Gelinas gets benched for the third any time we have a lead. The team habitually gives up two goal leads and almost never pushes it to a three goal lead. If you're always giving up the leads anyhow, may as well throw caution to the wind and put the guy who might give you a chance at extending the lead out there.

Plus, you're precluding him from being out there in big situations and rising to the occasion. I'm not talking about him being out there in the last 2 minutes or anything, but there has to be a middle ground.

Then Geli always gets shoved out there once it gets pushed to OT after sitting an entire period.

It's just emblematic of how the team is content to just hope and pray that the lead stands up, and it's clearly not working. It just grinds my gears all the way around.

Gelinas gets extremely protected ice time in general: 67% offensive zone starts. He's gradually improving his defensive game. Why do you want to push him into the deep end? Filppula, Stamkos, Drouin, Callahan, Kucherov all had 7.5 - 8.5 min of icetime in the third. Boyle, Paquette, Morrow, Brown - those guys barely got on the ice. It's basically throwing Gelinas to the wolves.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
And he has gotten some tough teams to play against too. I've been very pleased with his performance thus far:nod:

Just proves it should of been a more balanced schedule for Cory from game 1. It shouldn't of taken 20 games for the back up to play.

No other team came even close to playing their starter that much.

Hell by game 9 cory was the only starter not to get spelled a game by his backup.

That's just stupid and watching kinkaid it makes Pete look even stupider for waiting so long.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Just proves it should of been a more balanced schedule for Cory from game 1. It shouldn't of taken 20 games for the back up to play.

No other team came even close to playing their starter that much.

Hell by game 9 cory was the only starter not to get spelled a game by his backup.

That's just stupid and watching kinkaid it makes Pete look even stupider for waiting so long.

I definitely wouldn't have minded giving Cory a rest before the 20 game mark like every other team in the league did with their starter. I just think that Pete isn't very good at handling goalie situations. At least that seems to be so last season and this.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

It's one of the few things I'll give Pete credit on. He's used him against some pretty good teams, the best offensive teams we've faced of the last two weeks. He hasn't been coddled.

It was a mistake not to use him early on.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
It's one of the few things I'll give Pete credit on. He's used him against some pretty good teams, the best offensive teams we've faced of the last two weeks. He hasn't been coddled.

It was a mistake not to use him early on.

Maybe now that Kinkaid has proven his dependability to Pete through these games against good teams, Pete will be more willing to give him games so that Cory can get rest and perform better throughout the season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I definitely wouldn't have minded giving Cory a rest before the 20 game mark like every other team in the league did with their starter. I just think that Pete isn't very good at handling goalie situations. At least that seems to be so last season and this.

And 2013 too. Kinkaid is probably a better goaltender now than he was then. He might not have been ready for this league yet, but it couldn't have hurt to give him a try over a struggling Hedberg.

lachyrm

Jun 3, 2010
Gelinas gets extremely protected ice time in general: 67% offensive zone starts. He's gradually improving his defensive game. Why do you want to push him into the deep end? Filppula, Stamkos, Drouin, Callahan, Kucherov all had 7.5 - 8.5 min of icetime in the third. Boyle, Paquette, Morrow, Brown - those guys barely got on the ice. It's basically throwing Gelinas to the wolves.

There's definitely merit to that. Perhaps against a high-octane offense like the Lightning, that's for the best. In this particular case they were also killing a lot of penalties. That's all valid.

Not all situations call for it, though. You can still give him semi-protected minutes in third periods to some degree. I don't see him as an automatic goal against. He makes some glaring errors, but they don't always end up in the back of the net, as evidenced by his plus/minus.

If the team didn't give up every single lead all year long, it would be much more defensible and understandable watching the team go into a shell. The fact is, with their footspeed, it's dangerous anyhow. I maintain that he shouldn't be an auto-bench in nearly every single third period, regardless of performance.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Kinkaid went up against 3 of the best teams and offenses in the league and didn't give up more than 2 goals in regulation to any of them. That's about as impressive a start to a career as you can ask for a young goalie. The only time he should ever see Albany again is if its on a conditioning assignment. At least it seems like we found another legit goalie during this abortion of a season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Part of the problem is we always seem to be in super desperation mode. Pete handled Marty/Moose fine in 2012 when there wasn't really much pressure even early but when the team's losing like with everything else Pete goes with what he knows. Last year I'm not sure anyone would have handled THAT well though, it was kind of a unique situation. But 2013 when we were losing with Moose and early this year he definitely defaulted to play the starter at all costs mode when things got tight.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Part of the problem is we always seem to be in super desperation mode. Pete handled Marty/Moose fine in 2012 when there wasn't really much pressure even early but when the team's losing like with everything else Pete goes with what he knows. Last year I'm not sure anyone would have handled THAT well though, it was kind of a unique situation. But 2013 when we were losing with Moose and early this year he definitely defaulted to play the starter at all costs mode when things got tight.

You might be right but it's no a pattern with him. 3 years of not managing goalies right.

If last year was the only questionable situation I would give him a pass but that's not the case.

He just keeps doing dumb things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad