GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Tampa Bay Lightning 7:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Both Greene and Merrill are lefties, someone would have been playing out of position. Then again Pete did that on the PK with Greene to accomodate Sal with disasterous results.

He flat out said the plan was to pair Greene and Merrill before Merrill got "concussed".

Merrill played more then Greene tonight. He is second on the depth chart with Severson out.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Merrill has been getting a lot of TOI this season when I check the stats. He seems to have Pete's trust.

He did last year too. The kid does all the little things right most of the time.

His dip in play was most likely due to playing hurt for a few games until he went on IR.

He has a competent solid game and he has a lot of offensive upside that will develop over the next few years. He could still be the best of our bunch

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
Wow. Just wow tonight. Being at the game was surreal. Everyone totally showed there love for Kindaid tonight. Even Elias had some big time chants going. I can't believe we went to shootout but atleast we win for kinky. Very happy for him tonight!!! Go devils!

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Scratch Ryder tomorrow please. That penalty was a BAD one.

He deserves to be scratched this time.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
He did last year too. The kid does all the little things right most of the time.

His dip in play was most likely due to playing hurt for a few games until he went on IR.

He has a competent solid game and he has a lot of offensive upside that will develop over the next few years. He could still be the best of our bunch

Yeah, I like Merrill's game a lot. He's a very solid player, and for a young guy, he doesn't make many mistakes. (And I don't mind young defenseman making mistakes as long as they learn from them, since playing defense in the NHL is hard.) I could definitely believe that the dip in play was due to injury. That sort of injury could mess with anyone's play.

And I like the offensive upside of our young defensemen in general. I hope they can be kept together and for years we can debate who is the best among them with good points for every side:handclap:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah, I like Merrill's game a lot. He's a very solid player, and for a young guy, he doesn't make many mistakes. (And I don't mind young defenseman making mistakes as long as they learn from them, since playing defense in the NHL is hard.) I could definitely believe that the dip in play was due to injury. That sort of injury could mess with anyone's play.

And I like the offensive upside of our young defensemen in general. I hope they can be kept together and for years we can debate who is the best among them with good points for every side:handclap:

They are all also really raw still too. Merrill only has a season of NHL games at this point. Samr with Gely.

Severson is raw as hell. Hulk too and Lars is only 20.

Guys are all babies still and defense takes longer to develop. Give them 2 or 3 more years and Then watch.

goawaygary*

They are all also really raw still too. Merrill only has a season of NHL games at this point. Samr with Gely.

Guys are all babies still and defense takes longer to develop. Give them 2 or 3 more years and Then watch.

Larsson is 22. Times up for him

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Yeah, it's pretty crazy to think how young they all are, how little NHL experience they all have, and how much room they all still have to develop. In 2-3 years, we might be looking at a really strong defense corps and a fairly economical one too. The young guys on defense and Henrique are the main reasons I watch the team. They're the Devils future in my opinion, and hopefully in can be a successful future. Really we just need an impact forward, and even if we had forwards better able to capitalize on a lot of the offense the defense creates, we'd be winning more games. I really like how much role offensively our defense has had in our wins this year. It really does show how much potential they have.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Much like the team, the entire broadcasting group needs to be overhauled. The fact that an organization with as much as success as we do can have such an amateur broadcast right now is embarrassing. Deb, Maclean, Dano, and Steve need to hit the bricks. I loathe them.

Our broadcasting crew is terrible. I'd probably rather listen to nails on a chalkboard the whole game than Deb, Dano, and company. :(

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yeah, it's pretty crazy to think how young they all are, how little NHL experience they all have, and how much room they all still have to develop. In 2-3 years, we might be looking at a really strong defense corps and a fairly economical one too. The young guys on defense and Henrique are the main reasons I watch the team. They're the Devils future in my opinion, and hopefully in can be a successful future. Really we just need an impact forward, and even if we had forwards better able to capitalize on a lot of the offense the defense creates, we'd be winning more games. I really like how much role offensively our defense has had in our wins this year. It really does show how much potential they have.

I'll throw the hyperbole out there. In 2-3 years we might have the best blue line in hockey.

I'm that high on this group, especially when you add Santini in.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I really don't care how much they're paid. They're still human beings doing their jobs and there will be days when they're just not into it like anybody else doing their job. I've watched enough games and teams through the years and have seen plenty of instances where teams, especially talented ones, will straight up play like dog **** for extended stretches.

Pete gets a lot of **** so I'm just pointing out something he should be given credit for. This is a lousy roster with little hope of getting better, but the team competes the majority of the time. Don't confuse the lack of skill for a team that doesn't give a ****.

what teams do you see in the NHL that dog it every night?

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
Our broadcasting crew is terrible. I'd probably rather listen to nails on a chalkboard the whole game than Deb, Dano, and company. :(

im convinced MSG won't put any effort into the isles/devils broadcasts and thats why we got what we have now. we lucked out getting doc years ago

elias is one of my favorite players of all time and it ruled to see him turn back the clock a bit tonight, screw ya'll posers who don't "feel anything" after a game like this.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

I had a feeling Dano would be brutal. I wasn't impressed with him at all when he took part in the test drive towards the end of last season. He talks like he has a mouthful of marbles. Steve is average at best. The Red Bulls fans on here seem to think he's better at soccer than hockey. I can't really vouch for that since I don't get those broadcasts but it wouldn't surprise me. Deb looks like a barbag half the time and asks hilariously awful questions. The whole thing is amateur hour.

goawaygary*

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but 22 is still young for a defenseman. I know that Larsson was a fourth overall pick with high expectations attached to him, but 22 year old defenseman still have room to grow.

He's got 150 games under his belt counting playoffs and has looked very underwhelming thus far. Not some wet behind the ears rookie. He doesn't skate very well and doesn't have a great shot either that would make him a weapon back there.

His top end is ordinary. He just seems like the best he'll ever be is average

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad