GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Pittsburgh Penguins 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
right, and having one or two strictly offensive forwards are OK.

not everyone needs to be a grinder.

Strictly offense? Problem is that has a tendency to be code words for can't or won't play defense...and that will always be unacceptable here no matter who is in charge.

And playing the right way has nothing to do with "grinding".

GhostofKenKlee

Is Bergeron a Grinder? Toews?

Yeah, Pando and Madden don't live here anymore.

ZBC, are you advocating more tailgunners? Because the ones we had didn't exactly thrive anywhere.

kiwidevil

We have Ryder and Jagr, Brunner too. They are exclusively for offense and they've worked great. . . . . . .

It's hard to have a team identity when you are saying to two, three guys. "Hey, you guys just float around half way, but the rest of you better work your ***** off!"

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We have Ryder and Jagr, Brunner too. They are exclusively for offense and they've worked great. . . . . . .

It's hard to have a team identity when you are saying to two, three guys. "Hey, you guys just float around half way, but the rest of you better work your ***** off!"

How hasn't Jägr worked out?:shakehead

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Is Bergeron a Grinder? Toews?

Yeah, Pando and Madden don't live here anymore.

ZBC, are you advocating more tailgunners? Because the ones we had didn't exactly thrive anywhere.

Ilya Kovalchuk didn't thrive anywhere?

Scott Gomez didn't thrive anywhere?

Petr Sykora didn't thrive anywhere?

Alexander Mogilny didn't thrive anyhwere?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The Devils have taken chances on plenty of guys like that already (or at least perceived to be good offensively). What do you call, Jagr, Havlat, Gomez and Ryder?

:laugh:

all of those guys are at the tail-end of their careers....do I really need to explain this to you?

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
:laugh:

all of those guys are at the tail-end of their careers....do I really need to explain this to you?

That's not how you posed the question.

right, and having one or two strictly offensive forwards are OK.

not everyone needs to be a grinder.

This suggests that the Devils never target a player unless he is perceived to be a great two way player. Obviously none of those guys are, also they were what was available to NJ. It's not like they had a ton of choice.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good point. The teams thriving.

That's a ridiculous notion, with all due respect.

Jägr has been arguably the only signing that's worked out for us in the last two years. Camm too, though still early and he's injury prone. Jägr also leads this sorry ass offensive team in points.

Just because the team sucks, means he wasn't a good signing?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
That's not how you posed the question.

This suggests that the Devils never target a player unless he is perceived to be a great two way player. Obviously none of those guys are, also they were what was available to NJ. It's not like they had a ton of choice.

well, I thought people here would be able to understand what I meant....

we suck now. basing anything off of our team now is pointless.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jagr is not the issue though. Jagr has played very for the Devils.

Agreed.

According to that logic, Schneider, Zajac, and Greene extensions are all bad too. We haven't made the playoffs since.

Add the Elias re signing too.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Jagr is not the issue though. Jagr has played very for the Devils.

Jagr was a terrific story last year and was really good for us.

He's been only okay this year. He's looked lethargic at times and very inconsistent with puck control and taking too penalties this year. I don't want to dump on the guy, but you kind of ask for trouble trying to put too much on the shoulders of a 42 yr old forward to be your offensive dynamo.

Last night was the best he's looked in over 3 weeks to almost a month. We'll see if he can hold up until we trade him.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Jagr was a terrific story last year and was really good for us.

He's been only okay this year. He's looked lethargic at times and very inconsistent with puck control and taking too penalties this year. I don't want to dump on the guy, but you kind of ask for trouble trying to put too much on the shoulders of a 42 yr old forward to be your offensive dynamo.

Last night was the best he's looked in over 3 weeks to almost a month. We'll see if he can hold up until we trade him.

I'm hoping the same, got to admit that I'll miss the guy though. Hard to root against a guy that's always happy like he is.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
That's a ridiculous notion, with all due respect.

Jägr has been arguably the only signing that's worked out for us in the last two years. Camm too, though still early and he's injury prone. Jägr also leads this sorry ass offensive team in points.

Just because the team sucks, means he wasn't a good signing?

It's too early on Cammalleri. This year is pretty much lost so I don't feel right going one way or the other. He definitely showed his good side for us early.

Cammalleri is stilll a risky bet though due to his knack for missing games based on his size and style of play, his streakiness, and the fact that he's still got 4 years coming to him as he approaches his mid 30s.

The re-signing of Salvador and Zubrus however to me was/continues to be unforgiveable. I didn't want either player back even on 1 year deals. When I saw the money and term for both I nearly was sick.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What exactly did you mean if it wasn't "The Devils only target grinders"? It doesn't count if it's on the current team? Or that you had no point?

I never said "the Devils only target grinders"...you should probably go back and read what I said. I said its OK to be something OTHER than a grinder, which is a different point.

people talking about "teams of the past had all two way players!" are completely wrong. Scott Gomez, Petr Sykora, Alexander Mogilny, Ilya Kovalchuk were all integral parts of very good to great teams and they were not two way players.

in an ideal world- SURE you want every player to be good defensively. but its not realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad