GDT: New Jersey Devils vs Chicago Blackhawks - M*A*S*H Part 2 / 7:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We have not shot on-3 on-3 until we get younger. Half our forwards would have heart-attacks.

As I've said, Pete would probably play 2 defenseman and 1 forward in 3 on 3 instead of 2 forwards and 1 defenseman. Because it's safer to not lose than it is to try to win.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
All things considered, it is still an awful game.

Really don't see how a SINGLE positive can be taken out of that, minus Kinkaid playing well.

You're lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

i agree...while given the team iced they gave it an effort its a testament to where this club is not at the forward position..

the positives you take out of this game is the strong play of our young defensman... mike sislo can fill a 4th line role in the nhl it appears so thats good...maybe a 3rd liner if he gets more of a chance. severson played well and merrill had a fantastic game

but we are not in the same league as chicago....injuries or no injuries.. as much as i was pulling for them to win and such you still have to take a step back and realize that we are screwing ourselves over if we hover around 3rd place and give the false hope of anything with this team... granted I'm rooting for them they need young talent it is nice to see them ice a team with at least nhl speed so much more fun than watching elias, zubrus etc. slog down the ice

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
hey droppin in...Kinkaid looked very solid, would never have guessed from his play that it was his first start.

Liked what i saw in merril and severson(?). Jagr has some stuff left and its a treat to watch. Good luck the rest of the way

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
hey droppin in...Kinkaid looked very solid, would never have guessed from his play that it was his first start.

Liked what i saw in merril and severson(?). Jagr has some stuff left and its a treat to watch. Good luck the rest of the way

Thanks for the compliments. For some reason the organization is very cautious when it comes to Kinkaid.... but I think we were all pleasantly surprised last night.

Merrill and Severson are the real deal when it comes to our future on defense with Gelinas, Larsson, Helgeson, and Santini not far behind.

Jagr is fun to watch... but I don't this team is going to win anything with Jagr on the first or second lines. We have absolutely no depth. When we are healthy, we are just a team of grinders that cycles pretty well. Zajac, Elias, Cammalleri, Larsson, Gelinas, Brunner, Clowe, and Zubrus were out of the lineup last night.... but with them all in I doubt the Devils win that game anyway. We have a stubborn GM who doesn't know when it's time to let go of the middle-aged third liners.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
As did i, one of the best Devils performances in quite some time. They played hard, were largely good defensively against one of the best teams in the NHL, and Kinkaid was fantastic. A point out of that game when you compare the forward lineups is absolutely a huge victory for this team, not to mention we lost in the stupid shootout gimmick, there's no shame in that.

The Devils showed up tonight, can't fault them.
What this guy said. It was a good game and a good effort. Atleast this time the building wasn't tough...

Kinkaid looked extremely solid against one of the best teams in the league and I hope he gets more starts this season. Maybe Cory can finally get some rest and have some peace of mind knowing there is a legitimate backup behind him. Although I don't like to voice my opinions about players based on one game, Kinkaid definitely earned himself some starts with the way he played.

Merrill played monster minutes and Greene was a beast. Zidlicky and Harrold continue to climb up the rankings in my 'hate list'. How in the hell are they not scratched or benched? Seversons minutes should be cut. He is good but you can definitely see he can't handle the workload he is given. Helgeson was ok, occasional mistakes from him but they shall be forgiven; he is just a rookie. Probably the most physical player we have. I like the grit he brings to this team.

Offense was kind of dry but the bottom six looked solid. I'm not expecting much from the geezers we have so I hardly am disappointed. Ghost Ryder should have scored on his chance though.

Last edited:

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
"Ghost Ryder" should be given the Brunner treatment. The guy is garbage when he's not scoring... and he has no goals in his last 15 games, 4 goals in 28 games this season, and 2 goals in 36 games to finish up last season. That's 6 goals in 64 games for a guy that doesn't hit, is slow on his feet, and is not very good defensively.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I agree, Merrill and Severson were both VERY impressive last night.

I didn't even realize Helgeson played until just now, when I went to check the gamesheet to see how much Gelinas played. :laugh:

I also really liked what I saw from Josefson, but it bothers the hell out of me that he's so allergic to points. But then again, this whole team is allergic to points. Also thought Stephen Gionta had a very good game. He played over 17 minutes!

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
What this guy said. It was a good game and a good effort. Atleast this time the building wasn't tough...

Kinkaid looked extremely solid against one of the best teams in the league and I hope he gets more starts this season. Maybe Cory can finally get some rest and have some peace of mind knowing there is a legitimate backup behind him. Although I don't like to voice my opinions about players based on one game, Kinkaid definitely earned himself some starts with the way he played.

Merrill played monster minutes and Greene was a beast. Zidlicky and Harrold continue to climb up the rankings in my 'hate list'. How in the hell are they not scratched or benched? Seversons minutes should be cut. He is good but you can definitely see he can't handle the workload he is given. Helgeson was ok, occasional mistakes from him but they shall be forgiven; he is just a rookie. Probably the most physical player we have. I like the grit he brings to this team.

Offense was kind of dry but the bottom six looked solid. I'm not expecting much from the geezers we have so I hardly am disappointed. Ghost Ryder should have scored on his chance though.

Hahaha Ryder as Ghost Rider would be a great avatar.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
"Ghost Ryder" should be given the Brunner treatment. The guy is garbage when he's not scoring... and he has no goals in his last 15 games, 4 goals in 28 games this season, and 2 goals in 36 games to finish up last season. That's 6 goals in 64 games for a guy that doesn't hit, is slow on his feet, and is not very good defensively.

The idea to keep him in over Brunner is simply mindblowing to me. No idea what anyone sees in him, and that's despite his ok numbers and the fact that he leads the team in EV points.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The idea to keep him in over Brunner is simply mindblowing to me. No idea what anyone sees in him, and that's despite his ok numbers and the fact that he leads the team in EV points.

If anything, this is an embarrassment to the rest of the team.

Brunner was treated so harshly... he's definitely never going to suit up in NJ again.. Ryder has been just as bad.

Once again, everyone can ignore that this is another failure of Lou... Two bargain bin signings to replace Parise, Kovalchuk, and Clarkson's production.

I honestly wish Clarkson was still here. Did Lou really sign Clowe for six years and one concussion away from permanent hospitalization instead of ponying up an extra 300k per season for Clarkson?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
creates chances, is actually learning other aspects of the game, and show more effort than brunner, relatively speaking

I don't know where you see any effort or "learning," because I see the same unreliable player that, after 2 years, still can't do the only thing he was brought here to do.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
There really isn't a case for either of them to be with NJ the way they have played. Much like Ray Ferraro said in the game against Toronto after PDB was tearing Brunner a new one for 'not moving his feet in the defensive zone'; "He plays more of a 40 foot game than anything else". And that is just spot on. Brunners hockey IQ is lacking and that is why he got waived. Ryder can atleast occasionally make a pass but man he is lethargic. When not shooting the puck, even if he is carrying it, he is a friggin ghost. Hence the nick name Ghost Ryder. I could never believe he has 14 points if I didn't take a look at his statistics.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Brunner was treated so harshly... he's definitely never going to suit up in NJ again.. Ryder has been just as bad.

Once again, everyone can ignore that this is another failure of Lou... Two bargain bin signings to replace Parise, Kovalchuk, and Clarkson's production.

I honestly wish Clarkson was still here. Did Lou really sign Clowe for six years and one concussion away from permanent hospitalization instead of ponying up an extra 300k per season for Clarkson?

I dunno about Clarkson, he's tied with Ryder for points and making almost 2m more per year for way more years. It'd be nice to have a guy just ripping shots at every opportunity (kinda like Brunner...), but Clarkson makes this team worse in the long run, IMO.

And it's hard for me to blame Deboer. His team was desperate for forwards with any semblance of skill the past two seasons, so he signed and re-signed Jagr, gave Clowe a bad deal, brought in Cammalleri, and signed a bunch of guys to low-risk, short-term deals, hoping he'd find the next 11-12 Sykora. Unfortunately it hasn't really worked, but like...Gaborik's been injured, Vanek was always going to Minnesota, Callahan wouldn't be playing the way he is without Stamkos, Iginla's old, Brad Richards wanted a contender, Stastny wanted a contender, Hemsky's been crap, Michalek's been crap, I just don't really see an obvious better move.

I think the Devils are best off right now developing their young D and working to surround them with quality forwards over time. Having a lot of guys on short-term deals helps that.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

To be fair, while it was a gamble, Clowe was a much better player than Clarkson. Neither deserved the contract they got and I would have rather stayed away from both, but at the time if you had to pick between Clarkson and Clowe the choice of which player was better was pretty obvious.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
To be fair, while it was a gamble, Clowe was a much better player than Clarkson. Neither deserved the contract they got and I would have rather stayed away from both, but at the time if you had to pick between Clarkson and Clowe the choice of which player was better was pretty obvious.

Clowe last season looked great when he was healthy.... but he's not going to be healthy and we knew that going in.

I liked the element and identity Clarkson brought to the team.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
There really isn't a case for either of them to be with NJ the way they have played. Much like Ray Ferraro said in the game against Toronto after PDB was tearing Brunner a new one for 'not moving his feet in the defensive zone'; "He plays more of a 40 foot game than anything else". And that is just spot on. Brunners hockey IQ is lacking and that is why he got waived. Ryder can atleast occasionally make a pass but man he is lethargic. When not shooting the puck, even if he is carrying it, he is a friggin ghost. Hence the nick name Ghost Ryder. I could never believe he has 14 points if I didn't take a look at his statistics.

Actually that's 3 more points than I realize Ryder had. :laugh: It's just hard for me to validate ripping any one of Brunner, Ryder, and Havlat more than the others. Maybe Brunner was playing out-of-system too often or something.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Did Ryder just flat out shank that shot midway through the game point blank or was it tipped?

Sad that in a game that only needed one of Ryder, Henrique or Havlat to bury their golden chances afforded them that they struck out collectively while the toolbox had to take care of the scoring with Tootoo, Bernier and Gionta carrying the offense.

Kinkaid really did deserve that win.

Ryder is quickly sliding into Brunner territory when you look at just goals and his tendency to fumble scoring chances and only pickup pts via assist mostly (and several of those "assists" have been him losing the puck only to luck out when a Devil picks it back up before it becomes a turnover and then score or make a pass giving Ryder the secondary assist).

for example: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=2014020378-717-h

Henrique saves his bacon there or it's a failed scoring attempt without even a shot on goal.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Josefson hasn't been great lately, but last night he just got eaten up

He is a nice guy to have for this team as a filler, but it's at that point now where we can't expect much from him

He'll make a great play or two, blow by a guy but otherwise remains invisible on a nightly basis when he's in. He had a great start to his season this year those first few games, but he's been back to what we've been used to with him

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Did anyone else notice how Dano was in the booth last night? There were like 4-5 times he just completely zoned out mid sentence and went silent and Steve had to find the words he was looking for haha.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I know everyone is bagging on Ryder and rightfully so for his production, he needs to bury those chances.

Everyone seems to forget sure goal he saved back checking on that 2 on 1. You never saw that from him last year. This is an area where I've seen the most improvement from him, he's been much more responsible in our own end. I the end though he's a sniper brought in to score so yeah he's been sucking lately.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Clowe last season looked great when he was healthy.... but he's not going to be healthy and we knew that going in.

I liked the element and identity Clarkson brought to the team.

I agree. I HATED the Clowe signing. But I don't want want Clarkie on his contract either. I don't want either of them. I'd take Clarkson back at a very reduced rate though. He did bring a certain element that no one else brings. That Marchand element.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad