GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Boston Bruins: Preseason Finale, The Zacha Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
No no, you got it wrong. He must mean bottom 6 players cause Yegor is a 4th liner, didnt you know.
Yegor isnt a 1st liner that's for sure. Think his traits would require him to play in a top6 role, dont think he fills any need in bottom 6 lines. He just isnt good enough to warrant a spot in a contender top6. Is fine in the interim for the Devils I suppose and there's always the one in a thousand chance that he becomes something he currently isnt.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
He’s fine. He just doesn’t bring much to the team, I think most people think he could be replaced pretty easily. He has close to zero offensive abilities, he’s fine at best defensively. The only thing is faceoffs and that he throws his weight around along the boards.

Crazy enough, faceoffs and throwing weight around are skills we lack. So glad we have Haula.

Haula man....so necessary

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Yegor isnt a 1st liner that's for sure. Think his traits would require him to play in a top6 role, dont think he fills any need in bottom 6 lines. He just isnt good enough to warrant a spot in a contender top6. Is fine in the interim for the Devils I suppose and there's always the one in a thousand chance that he becomes something he currently isnt.
I find Sharangovich to be a very special player. He possesses a wicked effortless wrist shot that noticeabley finds the back of the next. Often great 1st lines have a mixture of uniqueness like a playmaker, a power forward and a shooter. Sharangovich is no Bobby Holik but he might surprise us. He just turned 24 years old.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So I read through most of this thread and then I look at the box score and the commentary and box score doesn't seem to match as far as goaltending is concerned?

" Blackwood sucks go away forever backup boy". 15 saves on 16 shots .938 SV%

"V-Tech #1!!! Better get all the starts, he's our savior!!!" 12 saves on 14 shots .857 SV%

I didn't see a single second of this game...but the commentary is pure whackiness in relationship to the box score????

Reactions: mdj12784

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
So I read through most of this thread and then I look at the box score and the commentary and box score doesn't seem to match as far as goaltending is concerned?

"V-Tech #1!!! Better get all the starts, he's our savior!!!"

12 saves on 14 shots .857 SV%

I didn't see a single second of this game...but the commentary is pure whackiness in relationship to the box score????
Blackwood's last 2 years are FAR WORSE than Vanecek's and that holds more weight. And that's a very strong sample size.

Vanecek was also CONSIDERABLY better this preseason and won every game he played in. .928% to .905% this preseason. .908% to .897% since the start of 20-21. And that includes Blackwood's first 5 games of 20-21 before he really fell off the rails. As I keep saying, Blackwood is an .893% over his last 55 regular season games played going back to February of 2021.

The goal Blackwood allowed was not a good one. Another leaky goal just like on Thursday night.

He looked shaky the entire 1st period, bobbling routine pucks, shoddy puck play, just absolutely fighting it.

And once again, the opposing team's announcers were critical of him and noticed how shaky he was playing in the 1st period.

Vanecek came in during the middle of the game and allowed 2 goals in the final few minutes, one of them a 6 on 5 goal where the goalie had already been out for over a minute and we were pinned in our almost that whole time.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Palat frequently played on the first line in Tampa and Yegor just scored more goals than he ever has in a season. I don’t think Sharangovich is a true 1st line talent, but lines are all about fit.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

"V-Tech #1!!! Better get all the starts, he's our savior!!!" 12 saves on 14 shots .857 SV%

Well yeah, you didn’t see Blackwood fumble easy pucks in front of him that on another night end up in his net. He looked like he was trembling coming of a three day uppers bender. Incredibly shaky and unsure of himself.

Reactions: glenwo2 and JimEIV

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Blackwood did look a bit shaky in the first, letting up rebounds on soft shots from far out. But I thought he settled in and don't blame the goal he let up on him, though many on here do. Vanecek looked good yesterday too, one of the goals he didn't really have a chance on and the other probably could've been saved but Boston had a lot of pressure up to that point.

My theory is that a lot of people are just tired of Blackwood and want a change. So every small thing that could be looked at as a mistake is critiqued hard. Whereas Vanecek has way more leeway. I think if Vanecek lets in that first goal there aren't as many people complaining.

Reactions: JimEIV

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Blackwood did look a bit shaky in the first, letting up rebounds on soft shots from far out. But I thought he settled in and don't blame the goal he let up on him, though many on here do. Vanecek looked good yesterday too, one of the goals he didn't really have a chance on and the other probably could've been saved but Boston had a lot of pressure up to that point.

My theory is that a lot of people are just tired of Blackwood and want a change. So every small thing that could be looked at as a mistake is critiqued hard. Whereas Vanecek has way more leeway. I think if Vanecek lets in that first goal there aren't as many people complaining.
agreed, i thought he settled in nicely. i think part of the harsh criticism came from the fact that the notoriously objective jack edwards made a negative comment on the broadcast.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I am tired of Blackwood and want a change. Because he's been an absolute no-count player for the last 55 regular season games he's plsyed. One of the very worst at the position over that time. The most important position in the game.

Vanecek should have more leeway, he's been the way better goalie for the last 2 years and he was the better goalie this preseason.

Yeah, if Vanecek let in that first goal I would have said it wasn't good, all the same. But he deserves more benefit of the doubt due to his play the last two years vs Blackwood's play the last two years. Would I have complained as much? No, because as I've said, Blackwood has been one of the very absolute worst players at his position since February of 2021 and Vanecek hasn't. And Blackwood hasn't really done much between this preseason and his last 2 games to end the year (after he came back from injury) for me to believe that he's gonna be much better.

Reactions: glenwo2

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Based on the line-up against the Bruins the intended line-up for the opening night with everyone healthy should look like this (the injury replacements):

Sharangovich - Hischier (Haula) - Bratt
Palat - Hughes - Holtz
Tatar - Haula (Mercer) - Mercer (Zetterlund)
Wood (Boqvist) - Mcleod - Bastian

Siegenthaler - Hamilton
Graves - Marino
Smith - Severson

Extras: Boqvist, Zetterlund, Bahl

I could Zetterlund instead of Bastian.
I agree with this except I think it is gonna be Zetterlund instead of Bastian if all healthy. At the morning skate yesterday Bastian and Geersten were rotating in and out in Tatar’s 3rd line spot while the 4th line was Wood-McLeod-Zetterlund.

And if Hischier is hurt it looks like Haula slides up and Boqvist slides into his spot.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
no we trade him to arizona for jon gillies :scared:
Judging by him getting the start in the preseason finale last night (which even Vejmelka dressed for) I think they really need him.

They're counting on him for the tank, and last year they came up just short of winning TANK WARS.

He'll help assure that won't happen this year.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Judging by him getting the start in the preseason finale last night (which even Vejmelka dressed for) I think they really need him.

They're counting on him for the tank, and last year they came up just short of winning TANK WARS.

He'll help assure that won't happen this year.
Basically the best suited for the job at hand.

Kind of cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad