GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Anaheim Ducks 7:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Beggars can't be choosers though, especially when things could be just as bad next season. Not sure what Toronto would be asking for but I'm willing to bet Lou calls them. There aren't many other options.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Isn't Cammalleri technically a sniper, lol?

I was thinking the same thing, oh cranky Patty.

This team is a mess, we really don't have many assets at all to flip. Even the kids on D really aren't worth much, still raw and unproven. I think at best you might get an unproven prospect for one of our unproven D.

We're going to need a hell a lot more than a few scoring wingers, like a real #1 center, hell I'd take a #2 center. I'd rather have Madden over Zajac at this point. I have a bad feeling we're going to see a revolving door of reclamation projects, castoffs and over the hill has beens for a few more years.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Beggars can't be choosers though, especially when things could be just as bad next season. Not sure what Toronto would be asking for but I'm willing to bet Lou calls them. There aren't many other options.
Right but it didn't work in Toronto when he was younger why would it work here when the Devils have the same center problems they do. and then you look at what the Devils have to give up probably severson and our top 10 pick. And then we have a hole on the right side of our defense and no great forward prospect, and having to give up 8 mil in cap space.

The whole forward core needs to be blown to bits but it really won't happen so hopefully the Devils win the lottery or something.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

We shouldn't be begging for a guy like Kessel. Really, no one should except for a few teams that don't have nearly enough cap space because they actually have good enough players and strong enough leadership that they could make it work. Kessel won't fix anything. NOTHING. His production will go down because he will have even less to work with than he does in Toronto. There isn't strong enough leadership to keep him in line and it would cost big time futures which the Devils are in no position to give up. If Lou trades for Kessel he's lost the plot to the point of no return. He will put this team back another 5 years at least and probably (hopefully) be gone before he can even begin to turn it around.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I love Patty but I forget as someone said in another thread...he's been damn cranky and really outspoken and he doesn't have room to talk...he's been terrible this year, whether father time or no interest...It wouldn't surprise me if he asked for a trade which may be best for both parties...

We aren't going to be good next year and he has maybe one more year left. Trade him to a contender where he can be on the 3rd line(which is what he is on a deep talented team) with one more shot at a cup...

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
On Kessel: I don't want to trade for him because I shudder to imagine the assets the Devils would have to give up to get him, and in my opinion anything traded for him would be overpayment. He's not going to be a long-term solution for this team, so paying through the roof to acquire him will just create more issues down the road and likely won't fix the current problems as much as needed. I'd rather stink next year and have another shot at drafting a good forward than trade for Kessel. I say that as someone who doesn't support a tank. Long-term Kessel isn't the answer. Don't want him here, especially not at the price Toronto would be asking.

kiwidevil

We don't need snipers we need a few players to create a few things.

In fact, if Elias' skill hadn't seem to just fall off a cliff this season, we'd be in a better position. So Elias should actually take some blame himself for once.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Isn't Cammalleri technically a sniper, lol?

He's a goalscorer but I don't know if I'd describe him as a sniper any more than I would Parise. He scores his goals much the way Parise did, with superior hand-eye on deflections and off rebounds with his patented knee to the ice one-timer.

But yeah Patty's sounding more and more like he's got one foot out the door. I don't think he's gonna be moved in the offseason, but next deadline could be very sobering if the Devils are out of it again.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Beggars can't be choosers though, especially when things could be just as bad next season.

That kind of philosophy is what got us Clowe to replace Clarkson. A desperation signing attempting to replicate a unique skillset. Much like getting Kessel would be a desperation trade where we'd have to expend assets, and this big contract we can't shelve on IR. More often than not desperation moves prove to be wasted moves.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
He's a goalscorer but I don't know if I'd describe him as a sniper any more than I would Parise. He scores his goals much the way Parise did, with superior hand-eye on deflections and off rebounds with his patented knee to the ice one-timer.

But yeah Patty's sounding more and more like he's got one foot out the door. I don't think he's gonna be moved in the offseason, but next deadline could be very sobering if the Devils are out of it again.

I've been telling my friends for awhile I would not be shocked at all to see him traded this offseason just to give it one more go at a cup. He seems very fed up with losing at least based on his recent interviews.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I've been telling my friends for awhile I would not be shocked at all to see him traded this offseason just to give it one more go at a cup. He seems very fed up with losing at least based on his recent interviews.

Might depend on what Lou does in the offseason. I'm sure Patty'll want moves to improve the team now and if Lou can't deliver then yeah there might be a behind the scenes trade request.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
Might depend on what Lou does in the offseason. I'm sure Patty'll want moves to improve the team now and if Lou can't deliver then yeah there might be a behind the scenes trade request.

I think the only thing that would make him push more for offseason rather than at the deadline would be I'd guess he would want to have his family settled for the season and be able to go to training camp with whoever a new team would be.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Build the team the right way.

Don't derail that with quick fix fools gold gun jumping lunacy (kessel).

We could draft 3 talented forwards this June and all could be NHL ready by 2016-17.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

We could draft 3 talented forwards this June and all could be NHL ready by 2016-17.

I don't think we're keeping all three picks myself...but I also don't think Lou's gone completely around the bend where he'll take on a nutball contract for someone the Leafs would leave on someone's doorstep in a fruit basket if they could.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
That kind of philosophy is what got us Clowe to replace Clarkson. A desperation signing attempting to replicate a unique skillset. Much like getting Kessel would be a desperation trade where we'd have to expend assets, and this big contract we can't shelve on IR. More often than not desperation moves prove to be wasted moves.
I agree but people are going to be complaining either way because were in such a tough position. We either trade for Kessel and he goes bust or we sign Justin Williams and Mike Fisher and they have like a combined 20 goals at the All Star break and people are ripping each other's faces off about how Lou sucks at signing UFA's, lol. I'd have more confidence in them if the forward drafting was better.

Drafting 3 forwards who will be NHL ready within a year is a lot to ask out of Conte and the scouting department.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think we're keeping all three picks myself...but I also don't think Lou's gone completely around the bend where he'll take on a nutball contract for someone the Leafs would leave on someone's doorstep in a fruit basket if they could.

Sounds that some bad loses got people in such a fuss they think Lou will do anything.

Lou is going to trade for a forward, but it won't be Kessel, and he won't trade the 1st unless its for someone younger and better then Kessel

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Stay the course. Don't give up what little assets we have on a piece like Kessel or we will suck for years.
Cap room is a huge commodity, poach who we can during the off season. And keep our picks and young D.

No thanks on Kessel unless we get him for next to nothing (which isn't going to happen)

Not much else to do but go after Williams Fisher Frolik Vermette and hope a cap strapped team like Boston or Chicago has to dump a forward.(Sharp Saad? Saad is a pipe dream as the Hawks would let a lot of players walk to be able to sign Saad before they would risk losing him)

Kick the tires on Thorton , Marleau , any possible players that the Sharks may unload as part of a culture change there. (Thorton has a NM clause so very doubtful he goes anywhere)

Maybe toss a rediculous offer sheet out on Tarasenko Nyquist Toffoli Pearson ... Doesn't seem like Lou's style , BUT is the only way we are getting a stud young player in the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad