GDT: New Jersey Devils vs. Anaheim Ducks 7:00 PM MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015
Stay the course. Don't give up what little assets we have on a piece like Kessel or we will suck for years.
Cap room is a huge commodity, poach who we can during the off season. And keep our picks and young D.

No thanks on Kessel unless we get him for next to nothing (which isn't going to happen)

Not much else to do but go after Williams Fisher Frolik Vermette and hope a cap strapped team like Boston or Chicago has to dump a forward.(Sharp Saad? Saad is a pipe dream as the Hawks would let a lot of players walk to be able to sign Saad before they would risk losing him)

Kick the tires on Thorton , Marleau , any possible players that the Sharks may unload as part of a culture change there. (Thorton has a NM clause so very doubtful he goes anywhere)

Maybe toss a rediculous offer sheet out on Tarasenko Nyquist Toffoli Pearson ... Doesn't seem like Lou's style , BUT is the only way we are getting a stud young player in the short term.

Thornton & Marleau? Those guys are 35 years old. They aren't the answer.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I'm fully expecting that we'll have one more year of suckage. This offseason is step 1 in retooling the offense and next year we'll finish the job, setting ourselves up to be in a much, much better position the following season (when Kovy returns :sarcasm: )

In 2 years, the "old regime" will have moved on. The Defense will be entering their prime, and hopefully this years top pick, perhaps next years 1st, and perhaps one or two more younger players will be ready to step in.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Stay the course. Don't give up what little assets we have on a piece like Kessel or we will suck for years.
Cap room is a huge commodity, poach who we can during the off season. And keep our picks and young D.

No thanks on Kessel unless we get him for next to nothing (which isn't going to happen)

Not much else to do but go after Williams Fisher Frolik Vermette and hope a cap strapped team like Boston or Chicago has to dump a forward.(Sharp Saad? Saad is a pipe dream as the Hawks would let a lot of players walk to be able to sign Saad before they would risk losing him)

Kick the tires on Thorton , Marleau , any possible players that the Sharks may unload as part of a culture change there. (Thorton has a NM clause so very doubtful he goes anywhere)

Maybe toss a rediculous offer sheet out on Tarasenko Nyquist Toffoli Pearson ... Doesn't seem like Lou's style , BUT is the only way we are getting a stud young player in the short term.

Thorton and Marleau? No way. Just no. We need to either send a 2nd or both of them for an NHL ready prospect or keep both and draft three high upside forwards this year. No more safe picks like Quenneville.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
I think Kessel is a good player in a bad situation, the kind of trade you make when you are a playoff team that has lost in the first round a couple of years in a row and needs a push to that next level but we are not that so I wouldn't trade for him.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think Kessel is a good player in a bad situation, the kind of trade you make when you are a playoff team that has lost in the first round a couple of years in a row and needs a push to that next level but we are not that so I wouldn't trade for him.

Good post. I think it's true that Kessel would be a player to add to a playoff caliber team in the hopes of giving the offensive push to be a contender, but he's not the kind of offensive player to build a forward corps around. The Devils need to get that forward piece to build around.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
Good post. I think it's true that Kessel would be a player to add to a playoff caliber team in the hopes of giving the offensive push to be a contender, but he's not the kind of offensive player to build a forward corps around. The Devils need to get that forward piece to build around.

Agreed. Hopefully we get one this draft. It really makes you wonder what the Leafs were asking for Kessel that he did not get traded at the deadline. I know he has got a bad contract but still thought for sure somebody would trade for him.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Agreed. Hopefully we get one this draft. It really makes you wonder what the Leafs were asking for Kessel that he did not get traded at the deadline. I know he has got a bad contract but still thought for sure somebody would trade for him.

Yes, I definitely hope that we can get a forward to build around out of this draft. That would make a huge difference going forward. They don't have to be NHL ready next year, but just knowing they were in the system would be huge for the Devils' future.

The Leafs must have been asking way too much for Kessel at trade deadline. That's probably the only reason why he wasn't moved.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think everyone thought he did well and was impressed with what he brought to the table. Certainly I was happy with his performance and look forward to seeing him again.

It was easily better than any game Boucher has played this season, aside from a preseason game or two where he looked like a beast.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And please for all things holy, keep ****ing piece of **** Fraser out of the lineup next game too.

It's amazing that we play one of the best offenses in the NHL and only give up 25 shots and rarely get pinned in our end with him out of the lineup.

One of the best defensive games in like a month. **** him and sit him from here on out. Like someone else said, Fraser is like the worst thing EVER.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I've never really doubted that Matteau would be an NHL player. The question is can he develop enough of an offensive game to be a middle six forward, or is he just going to be a really solid fourth liner.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I've never really doubted that Matteau would be an NHL player. The question is can he develop enough of an offensive game to be a middle six forward, or is he just going to be a really solid fourth liner.

I liked Matteau's instincts to shoot and to drive the net. To me that indicates some offensive potential at the NHL level. I think he could definitely play on a third line or a second line at some point. Honestly, he was one of the Devils who I felt like could score (but just didn't) last night. Mostly I'm going with my gut here, but I think he can develop into a second/third line forward.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've never been high on Matteau, but he looks a lot better than Boucher now.

Looks much more NHL ready. Boucher hasn't looked good at all in the NHL this season, aside from the preseason games. He looked good at times last season, this year he hasn't been very good though. In a much smaller sample size of games of course.

He looked decent in the Kings game, that was it.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
We are so desperate for forward help we're trying to glean the slightest bit of hope for anything from these kids, ugh.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We are so desperate for forward help we're trying to glean the slightest bit of hope for anything from these kids, ugh.

I feel that way sometimes.

More particularly with guys like Graham Black (although he's been good) and Coleman and that Kujawhoeverguy.

People (even me) were very high on Wedgewood before we got Cory, although to be fair, he looked much more promising before turning pro.

Same could be said for how high people were on Eckford and Taormina and Urbom too LOL, before we got Merrill, Larsson, Gelinas, Severson.

Speaking of Urbom, the Urbom waived thread is one of the classics on here for me. Right up there with the ''Kurtis Foster MUST GO NOW!'' thread and ''Mark Fraser files for arbitration'' thread.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'd almost forgotten about Taormina and Eckford.:laugh:

It's funny how quickly you forget about guys like that. I wonder who we'll be looking back on 4-5 years from now in a similar fashion.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Deron Quint? But he played 4 games in 2000.

I guess that's him - felt like he didn't play any games at all but after reading this - it's him for sure. Wow talk about a team in chaos -forgot all about Nieds suspension too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/03/25/sports/hockey-for-robinson-a-bright-but-bittersweet-debut.html

It has been an extraordinary week for the Devils, from the 10-game suspension of Scott Niedermayer for a slash to the head of Peter Worrell, to the firing of Ftorek and then the dismissal of Quint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad