GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Vancouver Canucks 10PM EST: Groundhog edition

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Our forwards are slow, lame, and uncreative.

I'm convinced this team CAN be creative. I think Pete's system saps any creativity from the players. Watch the first three games of the year. They were damned exciting to watch, after that...well...barf

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
First post in this thread AND I didn't bother to watch the game at all tonight.

Why?

Because I knew what the result would be. The only question was by how much?

It's sad when your favorite team becomes so damn predictable.

yep, same here....

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

I love Helgeson even more now after how he totally punked Dorsett with the left hand jersey punch/glass rubout moves there. It was like rubbing a dog's face in poop or something.

Bad Dorsett! BAD! Leave Zidlicky alone. Seriously - why would he be starting stuff with Zids anyways - he was helping Vancouver all night.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
I really like Helgeson's game, the dude just smashes and rag dolls guys around the net and doesn't get caught running around. He doesn't take dumb penalties and stepped up to take that turd Dorsett to task. His positioning for the most part is solid, blocks shots and his skating isn't too bad either.

Pleasantly surprised with him, I'd like to see Pete give him some more minutes especially when we're pinned in our zone at the end of the game with the lead and the other team is taking liberties crashing the net. We'll just throw Zids out there instead.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Didn't watch this game, the only highlight I've seen (and want to watch) is Helgeson's fight. Not like I expected a win anyway but at least a goal or two would be nice. If I see Harrold playing next game I will not be happy. It's not even about him playing, it's that because he's in the lineup it's only natural for Deboer to turn to him more than he should. And as a consequence Larsson and Helgeson, even though Seth doesn't get much anyway, lose ice time to that stiff.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Harrold wasn't terrible, he was just paired with Zidlicky who was. When they were on the ice. not even against he Sedins, Vancouver dominated possession and play was hemmed in our own end.

Harrold is an OK fill in as a 7th D but we young guys that we could also use in that role. How could Merrill now have missed 10 games already? Didn't think the injury was that serious. Hope he's back Friday along with Gelly and the Harrold/Zidlicky pair sits but this is Deboer so tat will NEVER happen.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Prepare to see more of this.

ZidsTurnovers_zps421b9eff.jpg

EA Sports GM

Apr 2, 2013
Vancouver
Just wanted to say, Jagr was unreal out there. Can't believe the strength and speed he plays the game even at his age. What an incredible guy, it's going to be sad when he retires.

Camille the Eel

On the first goal it looked like Vancouver changed lines and the goal scorer was a man who came on the ice from the bench - Zidlicky was trailing him or at a distance where you couldn't pick him up; and the slap-pass from the opposite point had lots of room to cross the ice - it's an odd play with the Devils very soft and lots of open space and a guy on the right point making a shot pass from the point and the scorer approaching the opposite corner of the net down low with lots of room. Lots of room.

If you watch the tape of the game, Vancouver was the aggressor from the first. They were the attacking team and the Devils re-active. Occasionally a shift would change that but overall the flow would re-establish with Vancouver having the puck and on the attack and the Devils scrambling to react and defend and at most counter attack.

Cangelosi and Daneyko keep saying how low the Devils energy is. But it's possibly also a difference in talent and speed.

We are very soft between the blue lines, particularly just outside of their zone - they have plenty of room to organize and skate with speed coming into our end.

If we are going to bring in Harrold, first game of the year, you have to expect it will take time for him to adjust to the speed of the game and to coordinating with Zidlicky. So do you play him again against Detroit? Or is this, like starting Clemmenson, just giving a start to someone who is on the trip and who's been practicing hard. That too is of course defensible, even praiseworthy in a coach in the name of being fair.

This is way too long. But ultimately if you don't score a goal, you aren't going to win games. The occasional defensive lapses were probably not really the problem last night. It looked like last year's team, only maybe less dynamic offensively if that is possible.

What is wrong with Elias? He no longer looks like himself.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I really like Helgeson's game, the dude just smashes and rag dolls guys around the net and doesn't get caught running around. He doesn't take dumb penalties and stepped up to take that turd Dorsett to task. His positioning for the most part is solid, blocks shots and his skating isn't too bad either.

Pleasantly surprised with him, I'd like to see Pete give him some more minutes especially when we're pinned in our zone at the end of the game with the lead and the other team is taking liberties crashing the net. We'll just throw Zids out there instead.

agreed, still a little bit raw i think...but looks to have a bright future ahead and bring a dimension that is prolly gonna be lacking among the current defensive prospects. the young dmen and schneider are about the only positive things at future-wise.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
for those of you who stayed up to watch yet another travesty last night (i feel for you), who all played well (aside from schneider)?

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
for those of you who stayed up to watch yet another travesty last night (i feel for you), who all played well (aside from schneider)?

I thought Zubrus played well

but that's when you know it's bad, when Zubrus is one of your best players.

blech.

this team stinks

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought Zubrus played well

but that's when you know it's bad, when Zubrus is one of your best players.

blech.

this team stinks

Bernier and Gionta too.

The rest of the team minus those 3 and Cory, were mediocre at best.

Larsson and Josefson were alright.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm sure it's been noted.

But Harrold played 19 minutes of ES compared to Larsson's 13.

Zidlicky who without question was the worst player on the ice last night played 22 minutes of es.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If it wasn't 12:30 AM eastern time (when I'm quite low on energy), I would have smashed my tv after seeing Harrold and Bernier out there with the goalie pulled. Luckily we didn't get a power play in this game. If I had seen such a gruesome sight at about 10:30, I would have been breaking things.

Harrold sucks. He BETTER not be in next game, unless someone on D has a bad case of Thanksgiving food poisoning.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I honestly think Pete needs to stop releying on Zids so much. Outside of Hulk, all the kids have offensive upside and will make less mistakes then Zids.

Plus I'm not sure Zids can take the minutes workload anymore. He isn't Jagr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad