GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Tampa Bay Lightning: Early Minimalist Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The last two games they got progressively worse as the game went on.

Good thing is if we win the next one we can hear Steve say "only 1 game from NHL .500"

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Much better team game. The missed goal by Bennet game to haunt us. Also, thought it was a weak defensive effort by Greene on Tampa's third goal. However, can't complain to much. Where still ahead of Boston, Detroit and the Isles. When we get healthy, Speers back to junior and Wood to Albany. Like to see Santini even if they carry 7 defensemen. Mix and match the 4th, line. Not happy, yet not raged as I was the last game.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers fan here. Watched the Devils game because of my interest in Hall. Hall IS notoriously a slow starter, like he's absolutely horrible in the first 5-10 games. BUT he didn't look bad tonight, he had some really nice passes as usual. I would say he's underrated as a play maker. If this is him in game 2, I would say he will be MUCH better soon.

His wrist shot is still pretty ineffective though. He can't really snipe. And he's not going to deke through anyone either. But he WILL drive offense on a line, a combination of power and speed and being in the right place.

I don't think he'll ever be Kovalchuk level, just doesn't have the skill. But he can play to a Parise or higher level for sure.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Hall looked pretty good this game. He had 3 or 4 beautiful passes to set up quality chances, had a couple scoring chances himself, and should've had an assist on the goal that was taken away. He doesn't deserve to be crapped on yet.

Cammy and Lovejoy were the worst players on the ice though. And Henrique/Palmieri looked like trash too. And I honestly didn't notice Zacha once. Not once. He needs to be with skilled players. And Zajac can't be with Hall. Absolutely zero offensive ability save for a lucky goal here or there.

PA and OV2 did some nice things too.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He was way too soft in some situations tonight, dont mind him sitting down for that and knowing he has to be better.

Agreed, in fairness to Hynes, Zacha this game did not look very effective at all in the time he was out there. You almost didn't really see him stand out at all.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Hall is going to be a nice upgrade, but he's not in Kovalchuk's class, when we got Ilya. Not even close.

Offensively, Kovalchuk was one of the top 5 players of his generation. There are many great players that aren't even close to Kovalchuk offensively, I don't think it's fair to expect anyone outside of maybe 6 guys in this league to match him.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't mind a loss like that. In fact, it was better than getting a point against Florida while being awful.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Oilers fan here. Watched the Devils game because of my interest in Hall. Hall IS notoriously a slow starter, like he's absolutely horrible in the first 5-10 games. BUT he didn't look bad tonight, he had some really nice passes as usual. I would say he's underrated as a play maker. If this is him in game 2, I would say he will be MUCH better soon.

His wrist shot is still pretty ineffective though. He can't really snipe. And he's not going to deke through anyone either. But he WILL drive offense on a line, a combination of power and speed and being in the right place.

I don't think he'll ever be Kovalchuk level, just doesn't have the skill. But he can play to a Parise or higher level for sure.

Do we expect play to flow through him (as a pivot/passer down low), a guy who thrives on transitions/rushes/oddmans, or is he more a guy who will find time and space and plot goals just by being in the right place/right time?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't understand the concern about Hall at all. What were you guys watching? He was setting up guys left and right, and if Palmieri finishes the one late in the game, we'd be raving about how good he was. He was playing Travis Zajac and PA Parenteau...what do you want? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad