GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Tampa Bay Lightning: Early Minimalist Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I just don't think you understand exactly how good Parise was when he was with us.

I do. I watched him closely as it killed me how good he was because NJ traded with us (Edm) to select Parise. I died every time knowing Parise should have been an Oiler but instead we traded down and selected one of the only busts in the 2003 draft. No im well aware. I remember Parise finishing top 10 in scoring. I remember him dominating for 4-5 years. I remember him still being good after losing speed after his knee injury and changing his game and still being good.

I still say Hall is better (offensively). Hall plays like a young Parise. No fear. Fast. Skilled. Dominant. Gritty. Goes to dirty areas. Crashes the net hard. Wills his team. You guys will see it. I'm confident of it

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I forgot about Kalinin. Maybe put him in Josefson's spot then. That fourth line would be big and strong down low, although they might not produce much offensively.

Yeah, agree.

Fiddler and Kalinin would be a tough duo. Speers has been good, I'd let him play his 8 games then send him back to SSM. Not much to gain playing 4th line minutes as 19y old.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
FFS guys, it's two games in a gauntlet of 10 games.

tumblr_mfatydnTy61r2m60oo1_500.gif

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
It may take awhile for this team to get going. There are a LOT of new faces on the team, including THREE on the back end. Hynes is also attempting to implement his more aggressive system which is likely a shock to the players who played under skeletor last season.

I do think the Wood/Speers experiment should be over soon and a new 4th line erected with Kalinin and Josefson on Fiddler's wings. I would feel much more comfortable with that group in the D zone. Send Speers back down to juniors ASAP and let him develop.

Despite the issues, this team hung with two legitimate cup contenders down in Florida. Two losses is two losses but there are positives. Hall, Henrique, and Cammy won't go pointless forever!

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Kalinin and DSP had a good thing going last season at some point.

Wouldn't mind seeing Zacha between those two because they were very good down low and the boardwork. Maybe they could be useful in digging out pucks and space for Zacha to fire on net.

If Zacha outgrows the role, then we move him up and move someone else down.

I guess this would be some sort of 3rd line.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They played better then game 1, which is the most important thing.

We do need a 90 minute effort though. PP got better, but definitely isn't there yet.

Some of our key guys are still shaking off preseason cobwebs. Palms and Camm especially who had some great set ups and kept missing the net.

I don't believe that is typical for them so not to worried.

The defense as a unit looked pretty good and they were getting involved offensively.

The breakout needs to get crisper, but it was improved.

You can see this working if they tighten up.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

Wouldn't mind seeing Zacha between those two because they were very good down low and the boardwork. Maybe they could be useful in digging out pucks and space for Zacha to fire on net.

Zacha and Cammy meshed well in the preseason. No idea why Hynes broke them up.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Yeah that was a real snipe. Answer my question. Do you think he's capable of more than 30 points at ES? If not, how is that not gonna tank Hall's production? If yes, show me a shred of evidence that led you to that conclusion.

So you're saying your opinion on Zajac being on that line was determined prior to what you saw today? Why are you bringing it up in a game where he played well then? It seems odd after Hall and Zajac showed chemistry.

By the way, how's Jagr faired with all those other centers he's had vs his time with Zajac? Jagr had one of his best statistical seasons since coming back from the KHL with that bum Zajac. Zajac will not be dragging anyone down.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
DSP was the stand out low point for me.

He just wasn't meshing and really wasn't doing anything helpful. His one job should be getting to the dirty areas and throwing up screens and none of that was happening.

If he isn't screening the goalie, he shouldn't be on the PP.

The surprising bright spot is Fiddler. He looks like a solid 4C, and he also looks like a PK beast.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
DSP was better ES than last game though..... I agree he shouldn't really be on PP, but i think because Tampa has huge D men, they needed a big body there to at least attempt to get a dirty rebound goal.

Hedman 6'6"........

I would say in terms of impact Henrique/Cammy being more shadows of their better versions, is worse for us. Palms missed those shots at the end, too, although my memory has him buzzing a bit earlier in the game.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I really want Boucher back in the lineup. He's better than Bennett.

You can have both Boucher and Bennett in the lineup once we stop with the preseason mentality of experimenting with kids that aren't ready, at least not in Speers' case. Heck just send Speers down, move Bennett back to the right and voila there's your spot for Boucher - IF he isn't totally in management's doghouse.

If anything Kalinin might get back in the lineup before Bouch does.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Sounds good to me.

Hall Zajac Parenteau
Cammalleri Henrique Palmieri
Boucher Zacha Bennett
Josefson/Kalinin Fiddler DSP

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You can have both Boucher and Bennett in the lineup once we stop with the preseason mentality of experimenting with kids that aren't ready, at least not in Speers' case. Heck just send Speers down, move Bennett back to the right and voila there's your spot for Boucher - IF he isn't totally in management's doghouse.

If anything Kalinin might get back in the lineup before Bouch does.

I'm glad I wasn't the first to say it.

I don't think Speers and Wood have been bad, they've just been used in roles where they're just merely bodies. And it's not that I think they should be used in a role greater than that right now, because there clearly isn't any room for them to be in those kinds of roles, without having to scratch other guys that shouldn't be scratched.

I'd rather use guys who merely are nothing but ''Bodies'' in that role. Guys like Josefson and Kalinin, because that's all those guys are and most likely, all they'll ever be. I think Speers and Wood are legit prospects.

And if we're making a lineup change on Tuesday, it's time to give Boucher a look and not throw Josefson back in there. Because when Josefson was injured late last season, our PP wasn't a total dumpster fire. That's because we had someone else playing in that spot, someone that looked to be fairly good at it. Boucher was the guy that we were using there.

Yeah, I know, he's slow and has no speed. But he's like 22 or 23 years old. It's not like he's frickin 41 year old Brett Hull, whose been sitting out of hockey for over a year because of a lockout.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Speers made a lot of nice little plays tonight. The macro game may end up getting him sent back, but it's not the greatest move to start him out here and then send him down right away.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Sounds good to me.

Hall Zajac Parenteau
Cammalleri Henrique Palmieri
Boucher Zacha Bennett
Josefson/Kalinin Fiddler DSP

Yes PLZ.

Would be nice.

I think the Wood and Speers experiment should be winding down. It's gonna become a waste real soon. I'd rather use the guys that are just bodies there, guys like Josefson and Kalinin. Those two are legit prospects and it's a waste to use them in a role like that. The problem is that there is no way to use them in a greater role than that either. Or else Zacha, Bennett, whoever, someone like that might be sitting.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know who the majority of those people are.

Not even Katy Perry? I know you're married and all but still.;)

I mean, I don't like her music or anything but I don't really mind it either. If not just because I find her voice very sexy, but I don't buy her albums or listen to her music in my free time.

Lauren Cohan is mainly known as starring in the Walking Dead. I've barely seen any movies with Chloe Grace Moretz, that lame Carrie remake from a few years back. I just think she's just really beautiful, she's only 19 though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Please no Kalinin on the 3rd line, he's not good enough at offense. 15 or 16 points in 78 games? That's just like putting Josefson on the 3rd line, maybe even worse.

There's no reason right now for guys like Josefson or Kalinin to be on the 3rd line. If injuries start happening, that's one thing.

That's a sure fire recipe for once again having a terrible 3rd line and taking away from Zacha and DSP's production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad