New Jersey Devils General Discussion (Team/Player/Trade Rumors/Speculation/News)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Whatever...Urbom's value was probably a 4th or 5th. Who cares?

He just turned 22. You don't know his worth.

At the same point, Fayne wouldn't have been worth a 7th rounder.

Chara looked like a big, slow worthless dufus at 22 when he came up with the Isles and then looked decent at 23 and only started looking like anything when he got to Ottawa.

Not saying that Urbom is going to be Chara but you get my point.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Not even an Urbom fan, but this was lousy PUTRID asset management. Slice it any way you want, but we gave away a top-5 defensive prospect.

Does Harrold have incriminating pictures of Lou AND PD?

I don't see how anyone could possibly disagree.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
anze_kopitar.jpg

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Anybody think this is Lou calling in a favor to WSH? They claim him, send him to the minors and we get 1st shot at it???

I don't know what the penalty for collusion is - but I don't think I want to lose another draft pick.

The Caps are carrying 7 Dmen, but one is a rookie and the other is a first year. Both are under 6 foot. The rookie is 19 and has options.

I'm sure Urbom sticks as a 7th Dman on their roster, if he isn't starting as the 6th.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He just turned 22. You don't know his worth.

At the same point, Fayne wouldn't have been worth a 7th rounder.

Chara looked like a big, slow worthless dufus at 22 when he came up with the Isles and then looked decent at 23 and only started looking like anything when he got to Ottawa.

Not saying that Urbom is going to be Chara but you get my point.

so unless a player is 23+ you dont know their worth? thats a silly statement.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Caps gave up six goals the other night, there's no way they claimed Urbom as a 'favor'.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
From a prospect perspective yeah
, ok...but he isn't NHL material no matter how many wish the opposite.

Tiny guys have made it before. It's a longshot but I'm going to give him at the very least this year to get his act together.

I tend to agree with you that his prospects are slim. He's one guy where I think we have a decent, representative sample on what kind of player he is.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

not really a big deal

cant wait to hear the *****ing though

We gave away a free asset that was only 22 years of age. With all the depth we presently have up front, I would've waived Gionta over Urbom.

IMO, there's no way Gionta would've been claimed and if so, well more power to little Gio for landing a spot on another roster. We would've simply started Josefson at his place, not lose a beat and kept Urbom on top of that.

At the end of the day, I still don't know why we just didn't waive ****ing #28 and if the only reason is because Pete wants a righty/lefty tandem, well that's a stupid reason I just don't understand :rant:

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
I think we and the organization have seen enough of Urbom to know what he will be.

I don't want to get into the Urbom think because we're approaching the dead horse with bats right now.

All I'm going to say is that it's very hard for some to accept the idea that a 22 year old kid has failed given that he's never had an opportunity to play consistently at this level nor has he maxed out his potential at 22.

Some people are uncomfortable because other guys have become superstars despite their unimpressive showings early on.

All some of us are asking is "why are you so quick to pass judgement on a 22 year old's career?"

Can't we all agree to table the Urbom issue?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
so unless a player is 23+ you dont know their worth? thats a silly statement.

How is that a silly statement?

Players don't develop their bodies until they hit their early 20s.

Players don't get enough playing time against elite competition (oh gee, that one game last year and two preseason games aside)

Players improve their skills by practice and through coaching.

Maybe the braintrust didn't think Urbom was worth it.

Oates (who had just as good a look at him) sure as hell did and will put him into their starting lineup.

At 22 years old, do you give David Clarkson $5m a year?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya this seems pointless since Lou could of just did this Sunday and he most likely would of snuck through, unless he legit wasn't sure Elias was going to be playing, or is doing Urbom a favor so he can go play somewhere.

Lou doesn't seem to bothered by it at all though.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We probably could have used Urbom next year when Fayne walks.:rant:

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
I don't see how anyone could possibly disagree.

At some point you have to see what you got with these guys. And not these stupid little one game stints in meaningless games at the end of the season. No point in even drafting defensemen if youre going to let them rot because they're not vets. At one point those vets were in the same position. What if we didn't ever give any Greene a shot and just gave him a game here and there then sent him back?

Mind-numbingly stupid situation that could've been avoided...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I really don't think Urbom is or will become anything special and we do have the defensive depth that he most likely won't be missed.

That said it is silly to lose him for nothing. If Lou really thought he had no future here he could of traded him for something, anything really. And if he wanted to waive him he had to know there was a better time to sneak him down.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I think we and the organization have seen enough of Urbom to know what he will be.

I think Lou gambled... and lost, period. There's no way to justify the move other then Lou tried to pass a fast one and he's the one that got burned.

Waive #28 or Harrold but not Urbom. If someone picks up #28, we're throwing a gif party and if someone claims Harrold, we insert Fayne in the lineup (wich everyone wants to see other then our HC) and we have Urbom as our #7

Anyways, what's done is done but I'm not a fan at all of the move Lou just made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad