GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Columbus Blue Jackets: Team Lars v. Team Palmieri - Episode Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't even think we've won more than 8 games in 3 years where he's allowed 3 goals in. And in half of those, he didn't allow the third goal until well after the game was decided in our favor. Like that Ottawa game a couple months ago being the most recent.

I looked it up just to see how good you were lol...and you're very close actually, Cory has nine wins allowing 3+ goals as a Devil to be exact including the two you mentioned (the Ottawa game and the Flyer opener).

Correction: Actually you're on the freaking money, one of the 3+ games was a game he came in relief of Marty where Cory actually allowed none after Marty got pulled. So it's really eight games.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Didn't get to watch tonight, was it as bad as I think it was?

Typical Devils vs Blue Jackets.

It's actually not even in the slightest bit boring. There hasn't been one boring meeting between these two teams all year. In fact, it's worth tuning into just to see exactly HOW our team will lose the game against them.

First game we collapsed in a span of 2 or 3 minutes. Playing a scoreless contest over 50 minutes into the game, before grenading and allowing 3 goals in like 2 minutes or something.

Second game we lost because a linesman told a referee to reverse a call and waive off a goal, because the referee obviously wasn't paying attention and doing his job himself.

Third game was a complete and total no-show.

Tonight was a no-show for the first 17 or 18 minutes, then a battle back to tie the game from down 3-0 after a brutal Kinkaid softy. The allowing 2 goals in 11 seconds, like 30 seconds after tying it. Can't make this **** up. It will be fun to see just how we lose tomorrow night's game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I looked it up just to see how good you were lol...and you're very close actually, Cory has nine wins allowing 3+ goals as a Devil to be exact including the two you mentioned (the Ottawa game and the Flyer opener).

When you say 3+ goals, that includes 3 or more goals, right? Not more than 3 goals?

I can remember a couple last year. One against LAK and Toronto. In both games, the game winning goal from us was scored long before he allowed the third goal. We had the games in the bag already and goals were scored with minutes left in regulation or just seconds left. I'm pretty sure we beat Buffalo 4-3 the first time this year, and he allowed a third goal with their goalie pulled with under a minute left in the game. Maybe even under 30 seconds.

The one game that sticks out that we after he allowed 3 was against the Wild in his first season. He allowed a brutal softy in the 3rd period and we won in 4-3 in OT. I remember constantly referencing at one point that this had been the only game in which he allowed more than 2 goals and we won with him in net.

Didn't he allow a third goal late against Detroit before Christmas? We were up 4-2 and he allowed a third goal with minutes left in regulation. That was when we jumped out to 3-0 in the first few minutes.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
When you say 3+ goals, that includes 3 or more goals, right? Not more than 3 goals?

I can remember a couple last year. One against LAK and Toronto. In both games, the game winning goal from us was scored long before he allowed the third goal. We had the games in the bag already and goals were scored with minutes left in regulation or just seconds left. I'm pretty sure we beat Buffalo 4-3 the first time this year, and he allowed a third goal with their goalie pulled with under a minute left in the game. Maybe even under 30 seconds.

The one game that sticks out that we after he allowed 3 was against the Wild in his first season. He allowed a brutal softy in the 3rd period and we won in 4-3 in OT. I remember constantly referencing at one point that this had been the only game in which he allowed more than 2 goals and we won with him in net.

No I was including the couple of four-goal games he won (one against Detroit in his first year and the Ottawa shootout this year).

This year: at Ottawa 5-4 (SO), at Buffalo 4-3, at Detroit 4-3, Ottawa 6-3
Last year: at Philly 6-4, at Toronto 5-3, at LA 5-3
2013-14: Minnesota 4-3 (OT)

You remember most of these offhand :laugh:

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Saw the highlights. Why won't they break up Larsson and Greene? I guess Hynes just wants to mail the rest of the season in.

Saw the awful soft goals and soft defense. Moore has to be cut this offseason. He's a bum. Danis should never sniff the NHL again and Kinkaid needs a miracle this offseason to make it out of camp next year.

Severson and Merrill need a new D coach. I continue to pound the table for this.

Too much sleepwalking in too many games this season. I'd hate to start pointing fingers at the leadership on the team. It's a bad habit.

Saw Colin White was at the Middletown fundraising game for the paralyzed kid. What's he doing tomorrow?

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Correction: Actually you're on the freaking money, one of the 3+ games was a game he came in relief of Marty where Cory actually allowed none after Marty got pulled. So it's really eight games.

It's sad that I remember this, but I think it's kind of pathetic that we hardly win when he allows 3 or more, and we've just won 2 in the last 2 weeks in games that Kinkaid allowed 4 goals in. And we've won 2 games in 3 years where Cory has allowed 4 goals.

No one can convince me it's about stickhandling or Kinkaid speeding up the game either. Keith frickin Kinkaid's stickhandling does not result in more goals for.

In fact, his stickhandling is another thing in his game that has really also regressed in his game this season. He was much better last year, and even made a big save on Thursday because of a stick handling error to bail himself out. His stickhandling hasn't been a liability or anything or caused any goals against directly, but it isn't a strong part this year either.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To put the Cory numbers in context, he has 58 wins as a Devil. 50 of them he's allowed two or less goals.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean this is what happens when you bargain bin shop for back up goaltending.

It isn't pretty. But better this then the Ocho cinco contract types.

We can get away with meh back up goaltending when we aren't the worst offense in the league anymore.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No I was including the couple of four-goal games he won (one against Detroit in his first year and the Ottawa shootout this year).

This year: at Ottawa 5-4 (SO), at Buffalo 4-3, at Detroit 4-3, Ottawa 6-3
Last year: at Philly 6-4, at Toronto 5-3, at LA 5-3
2013-14: Minnesota 4-3 (OT)

You remember most of these offhand :laugh:
It's only because the event that we win games where he allows 3 or more are so rare. An eclipse of some kind happens more frequently. We've already won 2 in the last 2 weeks where Kinkaid allows 4 goals, and we won that game against Vancouver in which he allowed 3 goals earlier this year. Just like when I said play him against St Louis over Colorado if we have to play him one, cause Colorado is the more winnable one anyway. And we lose 4-2 because he allows two softies and we score 2. Then we get shutout 2-0 by Colorado when Cory plays.:shakehead:rant:
Saw the highlights. Why won't they break up Larsson and Greene? I guess Hynes just wants to mail the rest of the season in.

Saw the awful soft goals and soft defense. Moore has to be cut this offseason. He's a bum.

Severson and Merrill need a new D coach. I continue to pound the table for this.

Too much sleepwalking in too many games this season. I'd hate to start pointing fingers at the leadership on the team. It's a bad habit.

Saw Colin White was at the Middletown fundraising game for the paralyzed kid. What's he doing tomorrow?

I actually don't hate Moore as a number 6 or Merrill as a #5.

They constantly look like bozos out there, but I keep having to remind myself that Helgeson and Warsofsky are likely warming up in the bullpen if we don't have them. And that's not even counting Schlemko being injured, like he was tonight.

Helgeson just isn't good enough, would have rather have seen Schlemko in tonight. He's MUCH better. Though he was injured and it was obviously a game time decision, because I thought he was supposed to play this morning.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Saw the awful soft goals and soft defense. Moore has to be cut this offseason. He's a bum. Danis should never sniff the NHL again and Kinkaid needs a miracle this offseason to make it out of camp next year.

Larsson and Greene played together pretty much the whole game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To put the Cory numbers in context, he has 58 wins as a Devil. 50 of them he's allowed two or less goals.
That's amazingly horrific. How many games have we won in which non Cory Devils goaltenders allow 3 since he's been on the team. I'm pretty sure there was 8 with Marty in 2013-2014 alone. Something about that number 8 sticks out. Including the Florida win in which he got the decision, but Cory finished out. Although I don't think Kinkaid had any wins last year in which he allowed 3 or more.
I mean this is what happens when you bargain bin shop for back up goaltending.

It isn't pretty. But better this then the Ocho cinco contract types.

We can get away with meh back up goaltending when we aren't the worst offense in the league anymore.

The problem with those goaltenders like Ocho Cinco and Montoya is that they fluctuate from year to year. I'm hoping Kinkaid is a backup goaltender that fluctuates from year to year. I call them box of chocolate goaltenders, because you never know what you're gonna get from those guys.

Though I said a couple weeks ago after the Pittsburgh blowout that a non backup won't shock me for next year. This might be a run for Kinkaid to see if he should get more starts next season, or if he should get any at all. I've been low on him all season, and even I'm shocked at how he's performed. I didn't expect it to be this bad. I just hope it's not Wedgewood, good chance he's worse in the NHL than Kinkaid, because he certainly has had the significantly worse AHL career thus far.

devilinthedetails

Dec 26, 2011
Since the middle of February, the teams defense has not been very good. Starting with the game on 2/14, the goalie stats are pretty much the same:

Cory
Record: 1-7
GAA: 3.443
Save %: .868

Keith
Record: 5-2
GAA: 3.292
Save %: .887

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Larsson and Greene played together pretty much the whole game.

Right. The question is why won't they break them up to at least make Merrill and Severson look better. Scratching them at this point won't allow them to regain their confidence, but playing them with the worst defenseman on the team and an AHLer is a waste of their mental state. At least playing them with an anchor will cover up some of their mistakes and get them some valuable in game coachng.

They're not making the playoffs so why not. Is it because they don't trust Larsson to anchor a pairing?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Since the middle of February, the teams defense has not been very good. Starting with the game on 2/14, the goalie stats are pretty much the same:

Cory
Record: 1-7
GAA: 3.443
Save %: .868

Keith
Record: 5-2
GAA: 3.292
Save %: .887

Cory's play has dropped off considerably, but there's no way that he's not the far and away better goaltender.

Not every goal Kinkaid has allowed has been bad, but there's at least 1 bad one per game. And he goes two games without one (San Jose and LA), he just allows a pair of bad ones at another point to make up for it.

Pretty hilarious how Cory's 1-7 and Kinkaid is 5-2. Shows we score A LOT more goals for him. Or at least over that stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad