GDT: New Jersey Devils at Washington Capitals-2/8/14

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
you know....I had not considered this, but RH....you make me consider it. McPhee's slip about the goaltending to Michaletti. We have all figure that was a shot at the goalies. Maybe that was a shot across the bow of the coaching. Be it Oates or Kolzig that was demanding all this change in their playing styles.

Sure enough after that comment, the goaltending has been pretty solid. So, whoever that comment was pointed at, it seems to have struck its intended target.

Its kind of an NFL Shanahan move... working the media like a master.

It just seems risky that George was depending on that to make it out to the mainstream media to get his point across. I guess if it didn't get out, he could have tried another means. Or, maybe he told Michaletti to report it out.

I question why he would not stand up for his prospects his livelihood, and confront coaches when they are radically changing how all his young tenders tend, and failing it at.

The more I think about it, it had to be Oates. If it was Kolzigs idea, Oates still bought in and should have halted it sooner.

The O in Oates stands for overthinking.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
one of the things about being an outsider is there's a lot of detail you cant know. maybe he did confront oates or kolzig or both and didn't get the result he wanted. because you cant know if this is oates overthinking or kolzig overcoaching, you also cant know what happened in the office between McPhee and his staff.

we know a little about McPhee, though. he is VERY reserved about what the media gets. I don't think he would first choose leaking to the media about something. right?

there's probably more here than meets the eye as with many things involved there in

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's another question...did Holtby initiate the conversation or did Kolzig? As txpd noted maybe GMGM's comment about goaltending costing the team 10 points (clearly NOT a careless remark, imo) wasn't really about setting the stage for a trade, maybe it was a message to Kolzig. Or at least it was taken that way. Olie sees the writing on the wall and thinks "uh oh, better cut the losses and let this guy do what he does and hope I still look good because of it". Or something.

I tend to agree with RH that this is an Oates thing. Kolzig spent his career as a true believer in Dave Prior. It just doesn't smell right that Kolzig chooses to ditch Prior's coaching immediately

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
one of the things about being an outsider is there's a lot of detail you cant know. maybe he did confront oates or kolzig or both and didn't get the result he wanted. because you cant know if this is oates overthinking or kolzig overcoaching, you also cant know what happened in the office between McPhee and his staff.

we know a little about McPhee, though. he is VERY reserved about what the media gets. I don't think he would first choose leaking to the media about something. right?

there's probably more here than meets the eye as with many things involved there in

Yeah. I'm sure it's more complicated than Kolzig makes an idiotic decision, disastrous results follow, then everyone ignores Kolzig's coaching, then everything goes back to normal.

Clearly Mcphee and Kolzig are in the right and we're misinterpreting things.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah. I'm sure it's more complicated than Kolzig makes an idiotic decision, disastrous results follow, then everyone ignores Kolzig's coaching, then everything goes back to normal.

Clearly Mcphee and Kolzig are in the right and we're misinterpreting things.

are you ok? chill.
a. I don't know what Kolzig's situation is. Does he run the goaltending dept. on his own and answer straight to McPhee? Does he work for Oates and do what Oates tells him to do? So, I've got no clue, bud.

b. Blame who you want. If Oates is calling the shots on the goaltending, McPhee hired him. If Kolzig is running the goaltending, the McPhee hired him. If Oates is telling Kolzig to coach crap, then Kolzig should quit. So, they are all wrong. And you are right. See? Its ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad