GDT: New Jersey Devils at Washington Capitals-2/8/14

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Later than usual start, 8 eastern.

Looks like the Caps are going to just enough during this four game homestand to stay within striking distance of the top 8. Not sure that is a good thing given the way this team has looked.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Later than usual start, 8 eastern.

Looks like the Caps are going to just enough during this four game homestand to stay within striking distance of the top 8. Not sure that is a good thing given the way this team has looked.

Same as the last few years and the beginning of the BB era. Mad push for the playoffs at the last moment, early exit. Over 15 years GMGM has spent about 12 icing a middling or bad team.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
same as the history of the franchise. right? you guys both forgot about the part where the caps grab a stranglehold on the series with a 2 game lead before they lose.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
same as the history of the franchise. right? you guys both forgot about the part where the caps grab a stranglehold on the series with a 2 game lead before they lose.

Long term history of the franchise is irrelevant to the current situation which is GMGM's rebuild having shown a pretty clear pattern of upward momentum through the Prez Cup season and then steadily declining over a few years to a point where they may once again be out of the top 8.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Chuck Gormley @ChuckGormleyCSN
#CapitalsTalk Adam Oates on facing Devils: '(We) better be ready tonight or you’re going to get walked all over.'

Knute Rockne like talk from Oates.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Long term history of the franchise is irrelevant to the current situation which is GMGM's rebuild having shown a pretty clear pattern of upward momentum through the Prez Cup season and then steadily declining over a few years to a point where they may once again be out of the top 8.

I am honestly not sure how much of that decline has to do with the decline of the quality of the team or the reality proven to the best players on the team that the regular season doesn't matter beyond qualifying for the playoffs.

I think they have cared only marginally. Sometimes not at all. I think they care in the playoffs. Before that, I am unconvinced.

Where McPhee is concerned, he clearly has decided that he wants to see the young defensemen play. I think that seeing Orlov, Carrick, Schmidt, Schilling and Wey all play has been part of the plan rather than the back up of a failed plan. As a proponent from the start of more veteran defensemen, I am not a fan of this direction. I am convinced, however, that its on purpose.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
You're so delusional. You should contact Leonsis and see if he can get you a job in PR.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
Where McPhee is concerned, he clearly has decided that he wants to see the young defensemen play. I think that seeing Orlov, Carrick, Schmidt, Schilling and Wey all play has been part of the plan rather than the back up of a failed plan. As a proponent from the start of more veteran defensemen, I am not a fan of this direction. I am convinced, however, that its on purpose.

I don't see how you can say this. It was nice seeing Schmidt play in the earlier part of the season but he hasn't really seen NHL action since December. Don't know what you're talking about with Schilling. Wey was an injury call-up, and Orlov didn't start playing until he publicly asked out. It's anyone's guess as to why he's in the lineup- because he's a core part of the "plan", a lack of better options, or because we're still looking for takers.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am honestly not sure how much of that decline has to do with the decline of the quality of the team or the reality proven to the best players on the team that the regular season doesn't matter beyond qualifying for the playoffs.

I think they have cared only marginally. Sometimes not at all. I think they care in the playoffs. Before that, I am unconvinced.

Really? So back in July, when McPhee and Company were at the whiteboard, strategizing on how to integrate new players this season, the plan all along was to rotate in more than half of the AHL D corp that had never (or barely) played in the NHL?

Sorry, not buying it. This reeks of a guy taking stock of what he's got in the cupboards, either for trade or future integration to fill players he's considered trading away.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I don't think it's any one thing. The roster is slightly worse, the coaching is slightly worse, the attitudes are slightly worse, and other teams are working hard to get BETTER while we coast on a Presidents Cup reputation from 4 years ago. It becomes a given that a last minute push can ensure a playoff spot from which management publicly states anything can happen, despite the actual numbers showing you need to be one of the top 3 seeds to have a decent chance at the Cup.

As for the defensemen, that's just depth utilization due to injury same as any other team in the league.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

On purpose? Oh God.

Tell us where in McPhee's master plan winning comes in.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Really? So back in July, when McPhee and Company were at the whiteboard, strategizing on how to integrate new players this season, the plan all along was to rotate in more than half of the AHL D corp that had never (or barely) played in the NHL?

Sorry, not buying it. This reeks of a guy taking stock of what he's got in the cupboards, either for trade or future integration to fill players he's considered trading away.

what about taking stock of what he's got in the cupboards goes against the idea that the plan was to use two young players most of the time and see what 2 or more of the others had to offer as injuries allow? its all the same thing. I didn't stipulate any specific motivation. You did that just fine, though

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't see how you can say this. It was nice seeing Schmidt play in the earlier part of the season but he hasn't really seen NHL action since December. Don't know what you're talking about with Schilling. Wey was an injury call-up, and Orlov didn't start playing until he publicly asked out. It's anyone's guess as to why he's in the lineup- because he's a core part of the "plan", a lack of better options, or because we're still looking for takers.

part of how I can say that is based on the idea that McPhee didn't go into the season with 4 nhl defenseman plus an injured veteran and have no plan whatsoever.

I know its a easy cheap shot to say that he had no plan. I am looking at what they've done trying to understand it.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
And+now+for+the+second+hole+_7548bd8bd5dca23500c2ea832c70639d.jpg

Brave Sir Robin

Jul 7, 2011
Looks like we'll have Backstrom - Wellman - Fehr - Beagle down the middle yet again. Wtf was GMGM thinking when he gave away Perreault so that Wilson could play 5min/game?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Looks like we'll have Backstrom - Wellman - Fehr - Beagle down the middle yet again. Wtf was GMGM thinking when he gave away Perreault so that Wilson could play 5min/game?

Wilson has nothing to do with the move.

Oates though Fehr was a center. He promptly looked stupid as **** purely based upon Fehr's play.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wilson has nothing to do with the move.

Oates though Fehr was a center. He promptly looked stupid as **** purely based upon Fehr's play.

So despite all the talk about making space for Wilson on the roster, the move had nothing to do with Wilson? What are you basing that on other than your Fehr comment? What reason was there to move MP85?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
So despite all the talk about making space for Wilson on the roster, the move had nothing to do with Wilson? What are you basing that on other than your Fehr comment? What reason was there to move MP85?

Uhh because Perreault is a center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad