Post-Game Talk: New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers 12/27/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
i just watched the devils goal... holy hell.. so many things wrong here:

1. Tanner Glass
a. Glass is the LAST forechecker to come back and backcheck... Why? Because he took himself OUT of position to lay a hit, which slowed his momentum, and left him behind the devils goal line
b. Glass's inability to recover from going out of position led to him being the final backchecker... which I would be OK with if he was covered and this wasnt happening so often...
c. When Glass finally does get back, he covers absolutely nobody, and instead proceeds to glide through the high slot (where the play has already proceeded past), and then wave his stick in the AIR (when there was no saucer pass thrown), finally proceeding straight into Hank...
d. Not one defensive play was made on that play... If Glass instead does not take himself THAT far out of position to make the check and remains skating, he is at least another 30 feet up the ice towards his own zone, which could then give Klein the ability to step up and help John Moore, while Glass could then tie up Ruutu, and put his body in the way of the play in the defensive zone, which could then negate the entire play...

2. John Moore
a. why in the **** are you pinching there? There's no threatening offensive opportunity, there's no forward supporting your position immediately behind you, and finally, there is a rushing devils player shooting up towards your blue line... you CANNOT pinch there
b. What kind of recovery is that on the puck? if you're going to pinch, you need to be able to get back and defend the play

Glass's ineptness of constantly forcing checks, followed by having the skating skills of Ryan Malone cost that goal... I'll put some blame on John Moore for making a stupid pinch, but again if Glass is not forcing a check 200 feet from his own goalie, and about 5-6 skating strides from the puck, that goal does not happen, period...

He NEEDS to be benched... that's absolutely pathetic.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Literally the only thing Tanner Glass can do once in a while is hit somebody, nothing else. What's surprising is that AV is not Torts. He seems to not be this ridiculous proponent of "jam", he's a proponent of possession hockey and rolling 4 lines. Why is he so stubborn in this instance? He's not dumb. He's stubborn. It's just inconsistent with everything I know about him. Is he really that terrified of young players?

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Besides the goal, I thought John Moore played a very good game. He looked like the best skater out there.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Besides the goal, I thought John Moore played a very good game. He looked like the best skater out there.

I like John Moore myself, but unfortunately his only asset is skating...

I sometimes feel like he'd be better served as a 3rd line forward player... his skating is his biggest asset, followed by his huge frame... He's got wheels similar to McDonagh and Kreider, not too far off from Hagelin...

Far fetched, I know... but I would give it a practice run or two.. lol :p

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Literally the only thing Tanner Glass can do once in a while is hit somebody, nothing else. What's surprising is that AV is not Torts. He seems to not be this ridiculous proponent of "jam", he's a proponent of possession hockey and rolling 4 lines. Why is he so stubborn in this instance? He's not dumb. He's stubborn. It's just inconsistent with everything I know about him. Is he really that terrified of young players?

He's consistent with his tools that he is familiar with... I can understand why, but when you have the choice of playing a kid who has scored 3 goals in 8 games vs a slow skating 4th line pylon who is a -10 with 1 assist in THIRTY+ games, the choice should be easy...

Someone suggested that there could have been some showcasing going on tonight... I wonder if there were scouts at the game, because that would make a ton of sense...

John Moore and Lee Stempniak packaged together should bring back a cost controlled, puck posession 3rd line center

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
rofl

h8ersgonnah8nhlcom.png

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He's consistent with his tools that he is familiar with... I can understand why, but when you have the choice of playing a kid who has scored 3 goals in 8 games vs a slow skating 4th line pylon who is a -10 with 1 assist in THIRTY+ games, the choice should be easy...

Someone suggested that there could have been some showcasing going on tonight... I wonder if there were scouts at the game, because that would make a ton of sense...

John Moore and Lee Stempniak packaged together should bring back a cost controlled, puck posession 3rd line center

Do coaches ever actually play inferior lineups to showcase someone? That seems like a fairy tale of fans.

And he could have played Stempniak AND Miller, with no Glass.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

I agree. He was pretty good. The whole team played well. Just wish they could have put-away the devs a little earlier :)

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Everyone keeps going on about the "3rd period collapse" and due to isolation effect think the Rangers are the only team that does it.

This is the new NHL, every team does this now when holding a lead in the 3rd, it's how coaches want their teams to play. Also no player wants to make a risky play and mess it up and be benched for causing a goal against, nobody wants to do too much or try anything flashy so they just play it safe for the whole period.

Also refs try to help the other team back into it. The amount of **** they let the Devils get away with was ridiculous, considering the softies they called in the 1st period.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
8 in a row is fantastic. very proud of this team. say what you want about the opposition but 8 in a row is very rare and shows the signs of a very good team coming together. the rest of the league is taking notice of this team. we have mojo now.

i did say a few weeks back, when everyone was freaking, that the west coast trip was big. i did say at that time that a streak was needed and possible with a trip to bond and build chemistry. it happened.

i said back then that i liked this team as it is and that i thought they were good enough to win. i like the defense alot and thought the forwards needed to be tweaked. i think we need a vet 3c and perhaps some more size and grit in the top 9. i still say that. defensively, i like us alot.

now to last night and specifically john moore. he pinched and made a mistake resulting in an odd man chance that found net. **** happens. poor decision but hes trying to be assertive and make plays ion the neutral zone. he didnt need to there. again, **** happens.

other than that one play, i thought moore was excellent last night. skating hard and fast, playing physical, winning battles, being engaged offensively and looking confident for having been sat the last 4 games.

YOU CANNOT erase a game full of good with one bad play. thats not hockey.

we win with him and we win without him. he is not any sort of problem. hes a 6th man. enough already with the JM h8te.

very proud of this team. we are hitting stride now and gaining confidence. i like where were at.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
8 in a row is fantastic. very proud of this team. say what you want about the opposition but 8 in a row is very rare and shows the signs of a very good team coming together. the rest of the league is taking notice of this team. we have mojo now.

i did say a few weeks back, when everyone was freaking, that the west coast trip was big. i did say at that time that a streak was needed and possible with a trip to bond and build chemistry. it happened.

i said back then that i liked this team as it is and that i thought they were good enough to win. i like the defense alot and thought the forwards needed to be tweaked. i think we need a vet 3c and perhaps some more size and grit in the top 9. i still say that. defensively, i like us alot.

now to last night and specifically john moore. he pinched and made a mistake resulting in an odd man chance that found net. **** happens. poor decision but hes trying to be assertive and make plays ion the neutral zone. he didnt need to there. again, **** happens.

other than that one play, i thought moore was excellent last night. skating hard and fast, playing physical, winning battles, being engaged offensively and looking confident for having been sat the last 4 games.

YOU CANNOT erase a game full of good with one bad play. thats not hockey.

we win with him and we win without him. he is not any sort of problem. hes a 6th man. enough already with the JM h8te.

very proud of this team. we are hitting stride now and gaining confidence. i like where were at.

I remember you saying that.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I thought Step, Zucc, Boyle and Hank played really well last night. Stempniak and Moore also did the best of the chance they got. Fast is picking it up, creating a few chances every game it seems. Goes to the net etc.

I also thought all Ds were solid, Klein is putting forth quite the year.

Real smart move by AV to use the depth he has. It's a long year, we are going to need it.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Stempniak is cheap and an asset . He's not getting dealt . Miller obviously should play . Glass will sit next game . I think.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
12-5-3 @ home. Gotta like the Rangers finally having a home team advantage. Hopefully that % keeps up throughout the season.

Nice to see Stepan developing into a #1C. I remember watching him in the WJ's and thinking that the Rangers really got a steal with that pick. I'd take him over ROR, who a lot of people wanted to trade for, any day of the week.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
12-5-3 @ home. Gotta like the Rangers finally having a home team advantage. Hopefully that % keeps up throughout the season.

Nice to see Stepan developing into a #1C. I remember watching him in the WJ's and thinking that the Rangers really got a steal with that pick. I'd take him over ROR, who a lot of people wanted to trade for, any day of the week.

Stepan is becoming a true number one center. If you don't watch him every night you may not believe it but he's getting there. Maybe he's there already after the year he's having ?!
His work ethic is consistent and his back checking and defensive play is superb . Even seems like his skating is getting better especially when back checking.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
He is a 6th defenseman. I just think Hunwick has played like a better 6th defenseman.

Agreed from the small sample size this year I like hunwick better. I thought Jmoore was a good pickup in the gaborik trade but he seems to never have developed consistency . I guess he's a 6th dman but still feel hunwick has played better

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Everyone keeps going on about the "3rd period collapse" and due to isolation effect think the Rangers are the only team that does it.

This is the new NHL, every team does this now when holding a lead in the 3rd, it's how coaches want their teams to play. Also no player wants to make a risky play and mess it up and be benched for causing a goal against, nobody wants to do too much or try anything flashy so they just play it safe for the whole period.

Also refs try to help the other team back into it. The amount of **** they let the Devils get away with was ridiculous, considering the softies they called in the 1st period.

All and all we're still almost unbeatable when taking a lead into the 3rd. Unless we're playing the Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad