Post-Game Talk: New Jersey Devils at New York Rangers 12/27/14

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
"I think that the schedule has been favorable, it has not been an overbearing schedule. They have fought some teams at the right time."

-EJ Hradek on the Rangers 8 wins in a row

What a horse ****. There should be no excuses or footnotes to this accomplishment by this Rangers team. That's why the streak hadn't happened in 40 years prior - any team on any given night can get a win regardless of the standings. To break it down, the streak started against the East leading Pens, included a 3 game trip to Western Canada where the Rangers hadn't swept in a very long time and back to backs against the same team (with both goalies they faced that were in a "zone"). They also faced two rivals - the Caps who were in their own stretch of good play and Devils who just had a coaching change. Never mind that some of these games where played without their 1a center and then a few more afterwards there he was clearly still recovering from the illness. Any of these games could've been a loss and it's big, big kudos to the Rangers for putting the streak together regardless of all circumstances! Let's make it 9 now!

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
What a horse ****. There should be no excuses or footnotes to this accomplishment by this Rangers team. That's why the streak hadn't happened in 40 years prior - any team on any given night can get a win regardless of the standings. To break it down, the streak started against the East leading Pens, included a 3 game trip to Western Canada where the Rangers hadn't swept in a very long time and back to backs against the same team (with both goalies they faced that were in a "zone"). They also faced two rivals - the Caps who were in their own stretch of good play and Devils who just had a coaching change. Never mind that some of these games where played without their 1a center and then a few more afterwards there he was clearly still recovering from the illness. Any of these games could've been a loss and it's big, big kudos to the Rangers for putting the streak together regardless of all circumstances! Let's make it 9 now!

40 years prior it would not have been an 8 game winning streak. It would have been an 8 game unbeaten streak (6 wins and 2 ties).

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
40 years prior it would not have been an 8 game winning streak. It would have been an 8 game unbeaten streak (6 wins and 2 ties).

40 years ago goaltenders had a fraction of the padding they have now and it was a different game. Although I know what you are saying about the 2 ties, IMO it is apples & oranges.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
A stepan hatty against the debbies and an 8th straight win in a row is a nice early birthday present for From The Side :naughty:

Such a shame the rangers don't play on the 30th :(

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

That is true. But at the same time this is the 10th year under the current system and still the first time we managed to string 8 wins together.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All I know is, 40 years ago we had the GAG line (goal-a-game) and now Rick Nash does that pretty much by himself :laugh:

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

Hey, it's great they've won 8 games.

but for the sake of perspective -

1) most of these teams are bad or going through a rough patch. The only high-level opponents were Pittsburgh & DC. Pittsburgh was an OT victory (a tie in the old days). The Caps came back strong, and the game was only put away after we scored on a late 5-on-3 and we retained control thanks to a double minor.

2) It's apples and oranges to compare streaks now, when we have 4-on-4 OT followed by a shootout, with previous eras, when ties were allowed. Pre-1983 this would have been a 6-0-2 streak. Pre-2005 it would have been 7-0-1 - this would be a 3-game win streak.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
All I know is, 40 years ago we had the GAG line (goal-a-game) and now Rick Nash does that pretty much by himself :laugh:

That nickname came up in 1971-72 which was my first year following the Rangers. Vic Hadfield became the first Ranger ever to hit the 50 goal mark scoring two goals in the final game of the season. Jean Ratelle missed the last 15 games of the season with a broke ankle (against the California Golden Seals) and had 46 goals and was neck and next with Phil Esposito for the scoring title before the injury. Rod Gilbert had 43 goals. Those three players actually put up a lot more than a goal a game. They were a lot closer to two goals a game. Those three players wound up 3rd, 4th, and 5th in league scoring that season. Ratelle and Gilbert are both Hall of Famers.

FWIW goals are a little harder to come by these days. Having a line averaging over a goal a game is having a pretty damn good line. Nash deserves a lot of credit for the way he's rebounded from last year. Over a point a game so far is very, very good. Brassard's a little under a point a game--is toying with it. He's been very good. Zucc I'm still expecting more from. If he gets it going with his two line mates we could really have something.

Stepan is averaging over a point a game now as well. Very happy with him. IMO he's our most valuable forward.

AHB*

Stop being so mad about someone telling the truth. Outside of the Pens and Caps, we've faced a bunch of easy teams that we should be beating. Carolina sucks, we played them twice, the Devils are bottom feeders this year, Edmonton, Calgary, a slumping Vancouver. You can mask it all you want, but I just don't understand why people get all up in arms when someone tells it like it is. He didn't say, the Rangers suck this streak is nothing. He said the Rangers have been good and they've caught some teams at the right time. You're going to tell me that's false, lol?

He's not taking away from the Rangers accomplishment, he's stating a fact.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That nickname came up in 1971-72 which was my first year following the Rangers. Vic Hadfield became the first Ranger ever to hit the 50 goal mark scoring two goals in the final game of the season. Jean Ratelle missed the last 15 games of the season with a broke ankle (against the California Golden Seals) and had 46 goals and was neck and next with Phil Esposito for the scoring title before the injury. Rod Gilbert had 43 goals. Those three players actually put up a lot more than a goal a game. They were a lot closer to two goals a game. Those three players wound up 3rd, 4th, and 5th in league scoring that season. Ratelle and Gilbert are both Hall of Famers.

FWIW goals are a little harder to come by these days. Having a line averaging over a goal a game is having a pretty damn good line. Nash deserves a lot of credit for the way he's rebounded from last year. Over a point a game so far is very, very good. Brassard's a little under a point a game--is toying with it. He's been very good. Zucc I'm still expecting more from. If he gets it going with his two line mates we could really have something.

Stepan is averaging over a point a game now as well. Very happy with him. IMO he's our most valuable forward.

I know how good the GAG line was, I was joking :laugh:

Although if Nash finishes at his current pace, he'll be right up there in terms of all time great Rangers seasons.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Lundqvist's stats as of today:

26GP - 16W - 7L - 3OT - .914SV% - 2.38GAA - 5SO

I expect his numbers at the end of the season to be right around where he always is. His GAA is already there anyway. A few bad games against Tampa are also heavily pulling them down right now.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hey, it's great they've won 8 games.

but for the sake of perspective -

1) most of these teams are bad or going through a rough patch. The only high-level opponents were Pittsburgh & DC. Pittsburgh was an OT victory (a tie in the old days). The Caps came back strong, and the game was only put away after we scored on a late 5-on-3 and we retained control thanks to a double minor.

2) It's apples and oranges to compare streaks now, when we have 4-on-4 OT followed by a shootout, with previous eras, when ties were allowed. Pre-1983 this would have been a 6-0-2 streak. Pre-2005 it would have been 7-0-1 - this would be a 3-game win streak.

First-in-40 years was a reference to call it a rare feat. Call it for the first time since SO were implemented - it would still be pretty long. In my post I put circumstances to support perspective that it was significant feat completely understanding that most of opponents had not been near top of the standings.

AHB*

First-in-40 years was a reference to call it a rare feat. Call it for the first time since SO were implemented - it would still be pretty long. In my post I put circumstances to support perspective that it was significant feat completely understanding that most of opponents had not been near top of the standings.

It was a significant feat, but they also SHOULD have won a lot of the games that they did. Hradek wasn't arguing that it was insignificant, he was just saying, the Rangers have been playing good, but also caught some teams at the right time. How can you argue that?

Edmonton lost like 20 of their last 21. Calgary was on a 5 game losing streak. The Devils are reeling and just had their coach fired the day before. Carolina is one of the worst teams in the league.

You can't argue with what he said. It's a good streak, but a lot of these games are the Rangers taking care of business.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Stop being so mad about someone telling the truth. Outside of the Pens and Caps, we've faced a bunch of easy teams that we should be beating. Carolina sucks, we played them twice, the Devils are bottom feeders this year, Edmonton, Calgary, a slumping Vancouver. You can mask it all you want, but I just don't understand why people get all up in arms when someone tells it like it is. He didn't say, the Rangers suck this streak is nothing. He said the Rangers have been good and they've caught some teams at the right time. You're going to tell me that's false, lol?

He's not taking away from the Rangers accomplishment, he's stating a fact.

Arguments from the same crowd that thinks that the Rangers were lucky to be playing in the SCF last season or similar statements. H8ters gonna h8.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It was a significant feat, but they also SHOULD have won a lot of the games that they did. Hradek wasn't arguing that it was insignificant, he was just saying, the Rangers have been playing good, but also caught some teams at the right time. How can you argue that?

Edmonton lost like 20 of their last 21. Calgary was on a 5 game losing streak. The Devils are reeling and just had their coach fired the day before. Carolina is one of the worst teams in the league.

You can't argue with what he said. It's a good streak, but a lot of these games are the Rangers taking care of business.

I see your position. I'm done with this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad