GDT: New Jersey Devils 2 @ Philadelphia Flyers 5 - Oct. 20, 2018

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia
I don't what is being blathered about right now because I can't see it but I just want to reassure everyone that Sanhiem has played really well since I'd say the Sharks game. Last 2 games have been money, especially

To elaborate: Only an idiot dinosaur would look at goal based metrics without taking context into consideration. Those that claim Sanheim played poorly before being sent down prior to magically turning it around thanks to "earning it/learning a lesson?" are jabronis with antiquated hockey opinions.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Funny that Sanheim can't PK until he masters 5v5 and PP... Hagg didn't even master the AHL before he got PK time.

Sanheim is better in all 3 zones, so no reason he can't play more. Problem is Hak loves horrible players, so Hagg is bulletproof.

Christian Folin can't even keep upright on his skates any better than I can, and he got PK time. I have been saying this for about three seasons - we need a dead bird back there. It's the one thing we haven't tried.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
To elaborate: Only an idiot dinosaur would look at goal based metrics without taking context into consideration. Those that claim Sanheim played poorly before being sent down prior to magically turning it around thanks to "earning it/learning a lesson?" are jabronis with antiquated hockey opinions.

I'm not from Philadelphia, but even I know that this is the correct use of the term "jabroni" and that Hakstok is a jabroni who needs to be jabronied the **** out of Dodge.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
TK was 4th in ES minutes last game. He's not treated like trash.
What limits his minutes is PP2 (and he's not a good PP player right now, so forget PP1) and not playing on the PK.

Sanheim is playing well, but again, he plays on PP2 and not on the PK right now, so that limits total minutes.

Nor do I want them force feed, if you have a young kid making progress, gradually increase the heat on the frog, over the season if they can handle it they'll graduate into larger roles over time.

The "old slow" players hardly play, Weise 9:33 ES, Lehtera 8:53.
MacDonald only played b/c they thought he was playing his way into game shape, when it became obvious there was no shape to play himself into, his minutes were reduced, then he was benched.

Well TK went from the first line to the third, from G and Couts to Weal and Lindblom. At least put him with his buddy Patrick and Lindblom. That’s a solid mutidementional line.

It again isn’t just that the old players are playing and getting limited minutes although 10 minutes isn’t too bad, it’s that they are getting time over guys that can make a difference like misha. He was hardly given a shot. Give him time to settle in and absorb everything going on for the first time. Don’t yank him after a few games of making it. That destroys confidence.

This team needs an aggressive coach to fit this team.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Well TK went from the first line to the third, from G and Couts to Weal and Lindblom. At least put him with his buddy Patrick and Lindblom. That’s a solid mutidementional line.

It again isn’t just that the old players are playing and getting limited minutes although 10 minutes isn’t too bad, it’s that they are getting time over guys that can make a difference like misha. He was hardly given a shot. Give him time to settle in and absorb everything going on for the first time. Don’t yank him after a few games of making it. That destroys confidence.

He’s also a creative player and this is a system that doesn’t endorse creativity under a coach that doesn’t seem to endorse youth.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

You're assuming it was about TK, Voracek got off to a horrible start so he was moved UP to G and Couts, he had played with them before, you might remember?

TK went to Lindblom and Weal because Patrick was injured. You know, one of those inconsequential details?

Lindblom - Weal - TK has been our best line the past two games, maybe you might want to ride that combo as long as it's working, then replace Weal with Patrick at that point. And if you can get Weal going at C, he might move to 3C, Vorobyev eventually to 4C and Lehtera to the bench.

Right now that is our 2nd line for all intents and purposes, and should probably play as much ES as the 1st line.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why should it hurt TK? He's playing with young, high energy teammates, whether it's the "new" Weal or Patrick at center.
This group forechecks more aggressively than Couts and Giroux, and that fits TK's game.
TK is a lot stouter now, and goes into the dirty areas without fear, and has become one of our best forecheckers.

Hakroach

Veteran Presence
Jan 4, 2005
Helsinki
TK has been the Flyers best forward this season for me.

Done absolutely everything right and every single line he has played on has been pretty much the Flyers most dangerous in the game he has been on it.

800.jpeg

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I miss the days when I’d count down the minutes until the games started. I use to do that in 06-07 our worst season in franchise history but we were still exciting to watch... Carter, Richards you could see the budding talent.. I don’t enjoy even watching this team.
This team isn’t fun at all. What’s the point?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just hate that we have no identity.

Are we a fast, push the pace team? No.
Are we a big, heavy hitting, grind it out team? No.
Are we a solid defensive team who counters for offence? No.
Are we an all out offense team looking to just outscore our defensive issues? No.

We are just...meh. We are....exactly what Haks personality is. Meh.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Are we an all out offense team looking to just outscore our defensive issues? No.

It really is sad.

Also, have we ever had the same lines for top 9 for at least 10 games straight under this Hak ?

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TK has been the Flyers best forward this season for me.

Done absolutely everything right and every single line he has played on has been pretty much the Flyers most dangerous in the game he has been on it.

You're not implying he's responded to hard coaching, cut back on the questionable cross ice passes, back checks instead of cherry picking, worked hard in the offseason to get stronger, and is now playing a complete game? Because that would mean he's "developing."

Must be like Ghost, he became a two way player through pure osmosis, because I've been told coaching had nothing to do with Ghost becoming defensively responsible, learning to use the body, reducing his turnovers, etc.

Of course, Sanheim playing a more disciplined game this year is Ghost redux.

The promising so far this season has been the progress by most of the young players, even Hagg.
Just have to get Patrick back on the ice to continue his development.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You're not implying he's responded to hard coaching, cut back on the questionable cross ice passes, back checks instead of cherry picking, worked hard in the offseason to get stronger, and is now playing a complete game? Because that would mean he's "developing."

Must be like Ghost, he became a two way player through pure osmosis, because I've been told coaching had nothing to do with Ghost becoming defensively responsible, learning to use the body, reducing his turnovers, etc.

Of course, Sanheim playing a more disciplined game this year is Ghost redux.

The promising so far this season has been the progress by most of the young players, even Hagg.
Just have to get Patrick back on the ice to continue his development.

Is it flawless coaching to reward TK with laughably low ice time?

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Doing the doubleheader today with this game and then the Sixer game.
Hoping to do a lot of these since we have so many afternoon games this season (ugh).

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

We are in transition.

I'm starting to think that Hextall is going to make a big move at some point, because you can see the future identity watching Lindblom - Patrick (Weal) - TK play, high energy, skilled two way play (Weal is deficient in the "two way" part).
Guys like Misha, Rubtsov, Frost will give you that package at center, Farabee, O'Brien, at wing.

Current players and prospects who don't fit that mold may soon be gone.
It won't surprise me if the team in April is quite different than the one we're watching now.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
TK is perfect proof of top prospects improving no matter how bad their coaching is.

He just needed time to gain experience and learn what he could and couldn’t get away with. The potential was always there and he just needed the time to reach it.

That’s why it’s such a joke that these young guys play so little. Obviously, first off, it’s stupid because it hurts the team, but also because all it does is slow their development.

We see the same thing with Sanheim. Even though the coaching is holding him back, he’s still improving on his own and looking really good. Just imagine how far along he’d be, and how much it’d help the team, if he was actually used properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad