New ISS Top 10 Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

If Kindl keeps it up, he'll end up going in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Masterovic said:
Zagrapan as number four - WOW!!

That's all I looked at.

I haven't seen this kid, but is it really worth taking the first couple of weeks on a guy and putting him ahead of the first couple of weeks on a much more 'proven' prospect like Jakub Kindl? I know he put up nice numbers in the Czech junior league and so far in the Q, but is it wise to have a kid jump so high so fast?

This reminds me a great deal of Redline putting Lauri Korpikoski very high in around March due to a good month.

leafaholix*

I'm surprised to see Anze Kopitar in the top 10. He's scoring goals in the U20 league in Sweden, but his +/- is "meh" (16:10) and his stats look like a pitchers record (11-4).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
This draft appears to be a bit weak after the top 4 or 5.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
This draft appears to be a bit weak after the top 4 or 5.

Not really. The emergence of Pouliot and Kopitar (who to be honest, I had never heard of until 2 months ago) into the top 10 only pushes great players like Durand, Bertram, Cogliano, and Setoguchi into the teens - giving this draft 2003-like depth.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
If anything, I think it is currently very similar to last year with a clear 1-2, and then a bit of a crap shoot after that. Of course, several of the other prospects in the top 3 to 30 spots will begin to show their great play thus far is not a flash in the pan (and perhaps get even better) which could solidify their position in the top 5 across all lists, but as of right now, most lists have a player in the 3 - 5 ranking that other lists don't even have in their top 10. It's a pretty big variance.

For instance, McKeen's has Zagrapan at #23 and O'Marra at #16 (both top 5 with ISS). And while both of those guys will undoubtedly rise during McKeen's next ranking (that's their Sept ranking), they may still not be in the top 5.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
If Kindl keeps it up, he'll end up going in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I think so, after watching him play again tonight (on TV anyways), I don't see the hype at all. He has terrible puck skills, fanning on shots and losing the puck just making the simplest of puckhandleing maneuvers. He also struggles with decision making, as he has a tendency to turn the puck over and isn't sound positionally. Two or three times he was caught fishing tonight and was forced into taking a penalty in one of those instances. His puck skills are more raw than Boris Valabik from what I've seen, but he obvioulsly doesn't have the freakish size, strength and aggresiveness to make up for that. IMO It won't be long until he's exposed and falls a great deal, I can't see anyone taking Kindl in the first round. From four different games I've seen Kindl in, I'm not sure of any one particular thing I like about him....

Kitchener's Patrick Davis on the hand had a great game, he may not be considered a top ten pick, but I definitely think he could be a solid first rounder. He's an allusive offensive player and was buzzing all night. His speed and puck skills make him a tough player to contend with, I think the points are going to start to pour in for Davis as the year progresses. If not for his injury last year, I'm sure he'd already be much higher on some peoples radar.

Last edited:

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
monster_bertuzzi said:
Not really. The emergence of Pouliot and Kopitar (who to be honest, I had never heard of until 2 months ago) into the top 10 only pushes great players like Durand, Bertram, Cogliano, and Setoguchi into the teens - giving this draft 2003-like depth.
I agree, this draft has some amazing depth, I think this draft will be better than '01 personally, I really like the Canadian prospects this year and it looks as though Europe is turning up some gems, generally the Europeans aren't talked about until right about now, its looking good IMO, there are going to be some late first round gems this year IMO.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
kruezer said:
I agree, this draft has some amazing depth, I think this draft will be better than '01 personally, I really like the Canadian prospects this year and it looks as though Europe is turning up some gems, generally the Europeans aren't talked about until right about now, its looking good IMO, there are going to be some late first round gems this year IMO.

I don't see it.

This is the maybe the worst draft I can remember for defensive prospects. Since the league went to the 18 y/o draft in 1979 only two drafts (83 and 99) were comparatively bad in that regard. Johnson is the only guy who's done anything to really distinguish himself so far ... normally at this stage of the game we've got 4 or 5 guys who are looking like blue-chippers.

Czech Republic and Slovakia are a wasteland - one of the worst drafts ever there. Worst draft for Russia for quite a while. Worst draft for Finland in a few years. Outside of Brule it's the worst group I can remember from the WHL.

Very good year for the QMJHL and a decent year for the OHL. OK year for Sweden. Maybe things will change but to me this looks like a well below average draft right now.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
MS said:
I don't see it.

This is the maybe the worst draft I can remember for defensive prospects. Since the league went to the 18 y/o draft in 1979 only two drafts (83 and 99) were comparatively bad in that regard. Johnson is the only guy who's done anything to really distinguish himself so far ... normally at this stage of the game we've got 4 or 5 guys who are looking like blue-chippers.

Czech Republic and Slovakia are a wasteland - one of the worst drafts ever there. Worst draft for Russia for quite a while. Worst draft for Finland in a few years. Outside of Brule it's the worst group I can remember from the WHL.

Very good year for the QMJHL and a decent year for the OHL. OK year for Sweden. Maybe things will change but to me this looks like a well below average draft right now.

I don´t think it´s that bad but it´s true, it´s hardly average year in Czech, Finland and Slovakia , quite weak in Russia.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Both sides hold some truths here. It is a below-par year for Europe, but remember that no one knew of Korpiskoski or Nokelainen at this time last year. Also, Kindl and Zagreapan are Czech and Slovak respectively- it's not so bad in those countries. We'll see more 1st rounders from those countries emerge later in the year. Russia does look weaker than usual though.

WHL lacks elite defenders, which it usually has. WHL forwards look reasonably good though, as do goalies. The Q is MUCH MUCH better than in any recent year. The O is considerably better than last year except in goal. The NCAA/US is too early to tell but should be about the same as usual.

One positive so far is that most touted prospects are in fact playing well (Kindl excepted- so far) and several new names have joined them (Pouliot, Bourret- and others you'll hear about very soon).

So, all in all, I think the very top end of this draft has been overhyped but the 'solid prospect' depth is better than last year and on a par with 2003 (in terms of N. america vs. Europe too).

Sticky*

MS said:
I don't see it.

I think Staal has gone a long way to distinguish himself, and will be picked ahead of Johnson.

X-SHARKIE

Jack Johnson reminds me of a Scott Hannan with better offensive tools...that guy is a stud and IMO is the 3rd best player available in the 2005 draft as of now. I have him at 3.

This draft is a crap shoot like 2004? WHOAAA..

Imo this is one of the better drafts in quite some time, the North AMerican class is just as good if not better then the one that 2003 had and that's saying somthing!

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
This year isn't as strong as 2003 - I would say it's not too far off, but not too close to it either.

Depth-wise, this draft I don't believe is much different than any others. However, the top 10 in this draft is going to be pretty darn good, even aside from Crosby & Brule.

I'd like to take issue with someone who said the WHL is having a bad year - are you nuts? This is a pretty solid year for the WHL. A huge prospect in Brule headlines an already strong group. You've got 3 other potential top 10 picks in Durand, Price, and Setoguchi, not to mention a ton of other prospects that will be taken likely within the top 2 rounds (Mikkelson, Macais, Wabbit, Gauthier, etc..)

No, no top defenseman, but Brule trumps that anyways. This will be a strong year for the WHL. As strong as 2004? My guess is yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad