New ISS Top 10 Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jay Thompson said:
This year isn't as strong as 2003 - I would say it's not too far off, but not too close to it either.

Depth-wise, this draft I don't believe is much different than any others. However, the top 10 in this draft is going to be pretty darn good, even aside from Crosby & Brule.

I'd like to take issue with someone who said the WHL is having a bad year - are you nuts? This is a pretty solid year for the WHL. A huge prospect in Brule headlines an already strong group. You've got 3 other potential top 10 picks in Durand, Price, and Setoguchi, not to mention a ton of other prospects that will be taken likely within the top 2 rounds (Mikkelson, Macais, Wabbit, Gauthier, etc..)

No, no top defenseman, but Brule trumps that anyways. This will be a strong year for the WHL. As strong as 2004? My guess is yes.

No top defensemen in general, or just from the WHL? I don't think Johnson can be considered anything but a top defensive prospect. He's probably the next Brian Leetch (who hits!).

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rabid Ranger said:
No top defensemen in general, or just from the WHL? I don't think Johnson can be considered anything but a top defensive prospect. He's probably the next Brian Leetch (who hits!).

True. I dont think it is that bad.

Jack Johnson
Teemu Laakso
Marc Staal
Patrick McNeill
Mike Gauthier
Risto Korhonen
Jakub Vojta
Slava Buravchikov
Vitaly Anikeenko
Luc Bourdon
JP Paquet
Brendan Mikkelson
MA Gragnani
Dustin Kohn
Matt Lashoff
Dev Hesmatpour
Jakub Kindl
Andrew Andricopolous

Some other players should come out of the wood work and join Johnson, Staal, and Laakso as the top defensive plays. Maybe Lashoff can get back on track as a top 15 pick and Kindl can turn it on?

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
The REAL top 3 will be Crosby, Brule and Johnson. By the way, Johnson knocked Brule out in the 17's last years tourney. No disrespect to Brule, he's great! Question really is what a team needs at each draft position. Don't be suprised if Johnson goees 2! I am coming from a needs basis. I hope it's Montreal, but no way. They won't pick that high.

X-SHARKIE

Balej's Dance said:
True. I dont think it is that bad.

Jack Johnson
Teemu Laakso
Marc Staal
Patrick McNeill
Mike Gauthier
Risto Korhonen
Jakub Vojta
Slava Buravchikov
Vitaly Anikeenko
Luc Bourdon
JP Paquet
Brendan Mikkelson
MA Gragnani
Dustin Kohn
Matt Lashoff
Dev Hesmatpour
Jakub Kindl
Andrew Andricopolous

Some other players should come out of the wood work and join Johnson, Staal, and Laakso as the top defensive plays. Maybe Lashoff can get back on track as a top 15 pick and Kindl can turn it on?

JP Paquet is a great one who is very underated, I also really really like Marc Staal. Matt Lashoff is very good, Kindl and Johnson are both OOOZIng...but Johnson is the 3rd best player in the draft IMO. Teemu Laakso sounds like my kind of a player as well.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
X-SHARKIE said:
JP Paquet is a great one who is very underated, I also really really like Marc Staal. Matt Lashoff is very good, Kindl and Johnson are both OOOZIng...but Johnson is the 3rd best player in the draft IMO. Teemu Laakso sounds like my kind of a player as well.

I heard, lol, more like saw in a picture...that Paquet is a big guy, both height and weight, and has good balance. Solid skater and someone who likes to mix it up. This from boxscores. Lol, it really does suck being in a place in the US that hardly knows NHL hockey, let alone juniors and the likes.

I think the defenseman in this draft get a bad rap because the guys that were highly touted have floundered and not played(in Lashoff's case) or not played well. Kindl, Anikeenko and Vojta were 3 of the top Euro defensemen and they have dropped significantly.

Guys like Paquet and Bourdon seem like they can turn out to be better than Andy Rogers/Mark Fistric, both of whom went in the first round.

Oh and whats the difference between Bradford and Cogliano. Bradford's been listed at 5'10'' 160-170 and Cogliano has been between 5'9'' and 5'10" at 180. But Cogliano has been rated higher on basically every list. People always knock Bradford for his size, but Cogliano is only 10-20 pounds heavier and possibly shorter by an inch, depending on who is right. Is weight that much of a big deal? Just curious.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Balej's Dance said:
Jack Johnson
Teemu Laakso
Marc Staal
Patrick McNeill
Mike Gauthier
Risto Korhonen
Jakub Vojta
Slava Buravchikov
Vitaly Anikeenko
Luc Bourdon
JP Paquet
Brendan Mikkelson
MA Gragnani
Dustin Kohn
Matt Lashoff
Dev Hesmatpour
Jakub Kindl
Andrew Andricopolous

You left out several notable OHL defenceman.
Ryan Wilson (Toronto)
Ryan Parent (Guelph)
Phil Oreskovic (Brampton)
Matt Pelech (Sarnia)
Adam Abraham (Missisauga)

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Boomhower said:
You left out several notable OHL defenceman.
Ryan Wilson (Toronto)
Ryan Parent (Guelph)
Phil Oreskovic (Brampton)
Matt Pelech (Sarnia)
Adam Abraham (Missisauga)

Thanks for catching that. Wilson and Parent definately have been on the radar...I'm not up to snuff with the other three.

Leaving them out, I must've been so flustered with the lack of respect for 2005 d-men, lol.

leafaholix*

I think Ryan Wilson may surprise some people. From what I've read and seen (limited), he can really throw his weight around and is having a decent season statistically.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jay Thompson said:
This year isn't as strong as 2003 - I would say it's not too far off, but not too close to it either.

Depth-wise, this draft I don't believe is much different than any others. However, the top 10 in this draft is going to be pretty darn good, even aside from Crosby & Brule.

I'd like to take issue with someone who said the WHL is having a bad year - are you nuts? This is a pretty solid year for the WHL. A huge prospect in Brule headlines an already strong group. You've got 3 other potential top 10 picks in Durand, Price, and Setoguchi, not to mention a ton of other prospects that will be taken likely within the top 2 rounds (Mikkelson, Macais, Wabbit, Gauthier, etc..)

No, no top defenseman, but Brule trumps that anyways. This will be a strong year for the WHL. As strong as 2004? My guess is yes.

8 #1 picks last year from the WHL (and 14 in the first 2 rounds). I highly doubt there will be that many this year.

Brule makes it an OK year. Outside of him the forwards are average, and it's one of the worst defensive groups ever. When was the last time no WHL defenders were taken in the first round? Mikkelson might sneak in, but I don't see many other hopes.

Guys like Macias and Wabbit look like mid-rounders to me. There are guys like this every year.

Dr. Sens(e) said:
Really MS? You're not high on Setoguchi, Durand and Price?

Sure they're good players. But Setoguchi and Durand are no better than Ladd and Chipchura last year, or Getzlaf and Fehr the year before, or Lupul and Upshall the year before that. The difference is that in those years there were loads of quality defenders to go along with a couple quality forwards. This year the defensive group stinks ... hence my comment that (outside of Brule) it's one of the worst WHL groups in recent memory.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
X-SHARKIE said:
This draft is a crap shoot like 2004? WHOAAA..

Imo this is one of the better drafts in quite some time, the North AMerican class is just as good if not better then the one that 2003 had and that's saying somthing!

And the European class easily looks to be the worst in close to a decade.

And sorry, but it's not as good as 2003. The US has nowhere near the talent that was available that year because of the double class due to the removal of opt-in restrictions. The WHL is nowhere near their terrific 2003 class. The OHL seems to have a good group, but to compare it to the 2003 group is ridiculous. The only league that's doing better than 2003 is the Q.

X-SHARKIE

MS said:
And the European class easily looks to be the worst in close to a decade.

And sorry, but it's not as good as 2003. The US has nowhere near the talent that was available that year because of the double class due to the removal of opt-in restrictions. The WHL is nowhere near their terrific 2003 class. The OHL seems to have a good group, but to compare it to the 2003 group is ridiculous. The only league that's doing better than 2003 is the Q.

I guess I would agree that it isn’t the 2003 draft, but I think it’s a damn good one like 2001 was.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
markov` said:
Zagrapan at 4 doesn't surprise me. He's putting up some real good stats this year, if he continues like that he could definitely be picked in the top 5.

All I hear about Zagrapan is that he's super talented, but that give him a few more months and teams will have the book on him. Questions about his hockey sense & the regular high-scoring QMJHL question mark stuff.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
All I hear about Zagrapan is that he's super talented, but that give him a few more months and teams will have the book on him. Questions about his hockey sense & the regular high-scoring QMJHL question mark stuff.

That won't happen, Jay. If teams start to book only him, they will get destroy by the Sags. Currently, Desharnais, Lascek and Boisclair are better offensive weapons than Zagrapan, but they're all older.

boby

Oct 3, 2004
Alex Bourret in october was 24 th rank for ISS,now for november list he is 11 th,and if he keep a same beat, he will take a few more spot.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:

Everyone mentions Anikienko and nobody mentions Anton Belov. He is listed at 6'3 190 (an inch smaller than Vitaly) and is rated #3 Russian prospect vs #6. Any ideas why?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
borro said:
Everyone mentions Anikienko and nobody mentions Anton Belov. He is listed at 6'3 190 (an inch smaller than Vitaly) and is rated #3 Russian prospect vs #6. Any ideas why?

I think it is because he did not enter last years draft and is a year older, in terms of draft age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->