New GM, New Trades and Signings Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
you have no idea what you’re talking about. Did you ever even consider the possibility the culture of Toronto could be part of the problem? What I said was the fans and media in cities like Toronto and Montreal hound players for innocuous reasons and will demand to know things like personal beliefs. You practically have Toronto media going through their garbage. Marner got carjacked.

The pressure playing in big Canadian markets is intense and the communities make huge demands on the players. It’s perfectly normal for some players to feel uncomfortable with this kind of pressure cooker. That’s why Nylander wants extra to stay in Toronto. It’s effectively compensation for the harassment and higher taxes etc etc.

I’m not happy with the core 4 playoff performance or the extra demands but people in the city of Toronto need to accept that they will have to pay extra to retain players. Right now that reality isn’t being accepted by fans.
+1 to the Clownshoes comment above

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
Our team is getting raided and Treliving is sitting at Boston Pizza while all the good replacements go off the board.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Or maybe it's a fanbase with a history of scapegoating or turning on players? I'm not sure I'd want to play for this fanbase. But as usual, I could be wrong.
Put in an honest to goodness effort and fans will love you. You would think it would be a pretty low bar to achieve.

Reactions: Al4tdsBundy

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I don't know why the fans of the former GM are complaining. Treliving obviously has great faith in the quality of prospect talent the previous GM had accumulated. Maybe this is really going to be a "play the kids" sort of year.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Jesus sat with sinners who were repentant, not those who wished to remain in sin. Also loving your neighbor requires truth and if anyone is Christian then scripture is the truth. This is why Christians are called to spread the Gospel. God according to scripture loves all people but he doesn't love their sin nor does he instruct Christians to be accepting of it. This is why Chrostians who preach cannot be in wilful perpetual sin or they will be Jidged by the same measure they judge others.
Dying to know how this is relevant to Leafs signings and trades.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
may not be a bad thing for the Leafs to chill for a couple years and draft high until tavares is off the cap

1) get some quality ELCs out of it hopefully
2) Marner's next contract probably not as stupid
3) Leafs are not trading futures to suck in playoffs again and again

IMO Leafs cup window is closed as long as tavares is on the cap

On this, we might agree... I doubt Tavares leaves, but him at $4-5 mil on the next contract, helps to some degree. As long as we get solid futures for Nylander in a trade, and do suck enough to draft a couple of decent players.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dubas steals away Acciari, a pity. I would have easily done that contract for the Leafs

Definitely more personality and sandpaper and slightly cheaper than Kampf to boot... but if the Leafs need to save their pennies for a bigger addition, that is a possibility I accept.

If reports are true that they were willing to do the same contract with ROR as Nashville, they would have a $4.5 million offer or ability to absorb something from someone...

Reactions: Menzinger

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe not today but it will be next year if Nylander wants 10+ and Matthews 14+
100%

The cap in 2024-25 is expected to go up +$4 mil and you just spent $5.5 mil on raises to AM and WN alone,

All you can spend is the limited resources you have for next year 2023-24 season ONLY, which still includes budgeting and getting Samsonov re-signed for $3-4 mil as a top priority his total still unknown, and may include buying out Murray and creating $2 mil dead space in 2024-25 also.

Any multi year deals for 2023-24 and beyond are impacting everything today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad