OT: New Free Press site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Anyone see the new Winnipeg Free Press website yet? It's even worse than TSN's new website. I've been through it a couple of times and still can't find a link to the Jets. Or the Bombers. Or anything else specific for that matter. It just amazes me that so-called communication companies hire people that are so completely clueless and stupid in the field of communicating.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
People watching their jobs become obsolete. Panic reaction. Result: their customers realize that they were never relevant, or good at anything. Tears were shed. Life goes on.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Anyone see the new Winnipeg Free Press website yet? It's even worse than TSN's new website. I've been through it a couple of times and still can't find a link to the Jets. Or the Bombers. Or anything else specific for that matter. It just amazes me that so-called communication companies hire people that are so completely clueless and stupid in the field of communicating.

Uhhhh ..... click 'Sports'
There is a 'Bomber Report' and a 'Winnipeg Jets' section.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
As I said before, the Winnipeg Free Press gets their facts wrong, and stubbornly will stick to their story, despite being given iron clad evidence that corrects mistakes. It makes you wonder what kinds or errors and mistakes they make about big stories, like criminal investigations and news from City Hall and the Legislature.

Ever read Gordon Sinclair Jr. articles? It's 90% fiction. The exploitation of Faron Hall was disgusting, and when he passed away, the most popular comments were begging the WFP not to let GSJ write anything about him. However, Sinclair milked him in death, as he did in life.

I could not believe how bad the new layout is. Then again, I do recall that the WFP let go most of their IT staff, and many young people associated with the company. Seniority rules, not matter how out of touch the writers are. Lawless, in particular, is horrible to read.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, first you have to find the symbol in the top left corner that says nothing. Pretty lame.

Doesn't sound like you are seeing the same thing I am.

There is a banner just under the "Winnipeg Free Press" banner at the top. It has section labels:
"All Sections
News
Arts & Life
Business
Sports
Travel
Opinion
Media

Homes
Autos
Classifieds
Flyers
Jobs
Obituaries"
You do then have to scroll down to the content you want but it seems to work pretty well for me. Using Firefox with little customization.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Doesn't sound like you are seeing the same thing I am.

There is a banner just under the "Winnipeg Free Press" banner at the top. It has section labels:
"All Sections
News
Arts & Life
Business
Sports
Travel
Opinion
Media

Homes
Autos
Classifieds
Flyers
Jobs
Obituaries"
You do then have to scroll down to the content you want but it seems to work pretty well for me. Using Firefox with little customization.

I'm getting none of that and I use Firefox too. Under "Winnipeg Free Press" there's a search box, then under that there are there are four drop-down bars for Top News, Most Popular, Most Commented and My News. Then below that the articles start in side-by-side boxes. At the top left of the page there's a small blue box containing three horizontal white lines. Clicking on that pushes out a menu from the lefthand edge with all the stuff you listed, but that menu does not appear otherwise on the page I see.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm getting none of that and I use Firefox too. Under "Winnipeg Free Press" there's a search box, then under that there are there are four drop-down bars for Top News, Most Popular, Most Commented and My News. Then below that the articles start in side-by-side boxes. At the top left of the page there's a small blue box containing three horizontal white lines. Clicking on that pushes out a menu from the lefthand edge with all the stuff you listed, but that menu does not appear otherwise on the page I see.

The three horizontal lines is a pretty common symbol indicating a slide out menu nowadays. Mostly for mobile devices, but I've seen other uses as well.

Also, the new layout sucks hard.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I see the 3 lines. If I click it I get a menu pop up on the left but without clicking, the stuff I listed is all in a horizontal banner to the right of (and including) the 3 horizontal bars. Weird. Early days glitches is my guess. I'd give you a screen shot but I don't have an account anywhere I could park it online.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
I've been driven away by the fact I have to constantly log in on every device I use to read any article on the site. I agreed that I'd pay the 27 cents an article to read content, but have yet to be asked for payment information. Guess it's still a free trial run. However, it's a pain when I've opened 10 tabs of articles I'd like to read to have 10 log in boxes starting me in the face. Logging in on a mobile device sucks too. The content of their previous mobile app was not kept up to date, so I have no motivation to go out and get the upgrade.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I haven't yet gone to the new site but if is anywhere near as bad as TSN'S new site i won't even bother !!

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't mind the mobile version (don't care for the size 100 font headline when viewing an article) but the main version is a bit of a tire fire.

I won't be paying for it I do know that. I'll stick to CBC and local blogs. I think the WFP is making a huge mistake here.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I see the 3 lines. If I click it I get a menu pop up on the left but without clicking, the stuff I listed is all in a horizontal banner to the right of (and including) the 3 horizontal bars. Weird. Early days glitches is my guess. I'd give you a screen shot but I don't have an account anywhere I could park it online.

On a hunch I changed my screen resolution to a higher setting and now I'm seeing the same stuff you are, and when I changed it back all the stuff disappeared again. Try a lower resolution on your screen, I bet that stuff disappears.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I do not want another login and password, so no more reading the 'Free' Press online for me.

I get all my Jets news from this site anyway.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The paywall model is a proven failure. Hearing the Free Press Editor and Publisher comparing the Free Press to the New York Times as they set up this monstrosity, which BTW has not been fully rolled out yet, made me LOL.

There just is not enough demand for the content to justify a paywall. They would have been much better served by finding creative and intelligent ways to convert page hits into revenue. All they've done is drive up the web traffic of the Sun, CTV and Global.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

The new Free Press is crap, actually it looks like something from the late 90's!:help:

And as bodybreak points out, how many times do you need to log in, I put my ipad down for a second go back to the Free Press app and please log in.......F...

Log this in.....Freep...:rant:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Most mobile-enabled sites look like ass. It's just the nature of the Internet now. With a few exceptions the days of fancy websites is generally over.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
if you're concerned about the login, just use a script blocker. If you're angry about the new layout, you should be.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
if you're concerned about the login, just use a script blocker. If you're angry about the new layout, you should be.

Noscript seems to be blocking most of the main page now. All I can see are the top news links.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
On a hunch I changed my screen resolution to a higher setting and now I'm seeing the same stuff you are, and when I changed it back all the stuff disappeared again. Try a lower resolution on your screen, I bet that stuff disappears.

Yeah they're using a "responsive" design - so when your viewport (browser or screen-resolution) size drops below a certain threshold, your browser displays the mobile site - which strips out menus and reformats things to look good on an iPhone or whatever.

If I resize my browser to about 800px wide, it switches to mobile view.

I get what they're trying to do here, but the layout is really weird in desktop view.

That unnecessary blue line at the top. The Top News/Most Popular/Most Commented widget and Twitter widget at the top suck. Then you get to the banner. I might have started there because it briefly starts to look better starting at "Winnipeg Free Press". After the menubar it turns back into a bit of a mess - they have 3 columns available, but they nonsensically jump around from a 1/1/1 layout to a 2/1 to a /3/ and back and forth with reckless abandon. And then it just keeps scrolling down forever...

Part of the problem may be the uniformity of the blue headings on every article. There's no prioritization...and it's jumpy: Local, World, Business, Local (3 wide), Homes, Top Jobs, Local, Homes, Top Jobs...WTF?

There are also a confusing array of behaviours when you mouse over stuff.

And what do those ribbon icons do?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The paywall model is a proven failure. Hearing the Free Press Editor and Publisher comparing the Free Press to the New York Times as they set up this monstrosity, which BTW has not been fully rolled out yet, made me LOL.

There just is not enough demand for the content to justify a paywall. They would have been much better served by finding creative and intelligent ways to convert page hits into revenue. All they've done is drive up the web traffic of the Sun, CTV and Global.

Back in May 2013, the editor of the WFP explained the justification for closing the comments section to non-subscribers:

"Our thinking here is that the bulk of our problem online comes from people who don't subscribe. Frequently, they hate us, hate what we write about, and feel empowered by dumping all over what is published. As expected, some of you don't like the idea of any cover charge so will be looking for a different place to hang out shortly. But I am encouraged by those who say this was long overdue -- especially those who had stopped commenting or reading the comments because of some of the stuff that landed there.

A few points as the discussion continues:

-This is not about a paywall. You are are still free to read what we put on our website for free.
-This is not about raising revenue, this is about raising the bar on debate. In fact, conventional wisdom is that we will lose money initially as our online advertising revenue is tied to online readership. Fewer commenting clicks means less cash coming our way.
-I never said this would fix all that is wrong with website comments. But I do believe we are taking a step towards that goal.
-And wow, those who see no value in what we do and have no intention of every paying a cent to support our journalism, sure do seem to be well-versed in what we write. Just saying.

I want to make clear that raising the bar on debate, not raising revenue, is the goal. In fact, the conventional wisdom is that we will lose online readership over this move, which will impact us in terms of what we are able to charge for online ads. But in time, I hope we will see our comment count increase as those who had been turned off in the past return.",

-----
Raise the level of debate? Is he for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad