OT: New Free Press site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
This is my last post on this because we are quite OT, but...young man, you need to start reading the front section of the newspaper in the worst way.:laugh:

Actually, the demographics are shifting. The vast majority of people under 40 get their local news free, whether we like to admit it or not. If the WFP installs a paywall, people will just find there news somewhere else. This is not 1990, when you only had two choices to read about the local news, or wait until you turned on your TV at 6:00 PM.

The WFP has been around for 143 years, has been the link to our community through 2 world wars, the Winniprg strike of 1919, major floods and countless other events far more important than hockey. It has been a virtual lifeline for hundreds of thousand of people in an isolated prairie town, when precious other forms of communication existed. The Jets are still a modest blip in Winnipeg's historical timeline.

The City of Winnipeg values the Jets far more than the Free Press. The Free Press may have been relevant at one point in time, but certainly has not been for years. The Downtown Eaton's building had been in Winnipeg for nearly a century, but only a handful of people protested it's demolition, and we are much better off with the MTS Centre in it's place. This is 2015, and we are in the digital age, and have been for 20 years. I'll fully retract this statement, when the WFP is about to go under in a couple of years, and 35,000 people rally to save the paper (which will not happen).

HFJets is a fantasy world where a small number of us seek diversion; it is not the real world. I guarantee you, no thoughtful, educated Winnipegger, including Mark Chipman, would take the bolded seriously.

Well that is the difference between you an I. You may think of HFBoards as being "a fantasy world," but I am of the opinion that there are tons of highly intelligent people behind the screen names, many having inside information pertaining to the Jets. If I want news on the Jets, I come here, not read some Lawless column.

I think I'll pass. Thanks, anyway.

Last edited:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
To those debating the relevance of the Free Press, I think it's just a sign of the times due in part to the internet.

Then: Let the paper(s) filter the signal from the noise, and deliver it to me in a package. Inform me.

Now: Let me troll through pages and pages of comments, updates, feeds, more comments, maybe an interview ... and try to confirm what I already think I know.

Depends on what you prefer ... seems most prefer the noise from the signal. :)

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
To those debating the relevance of the Free Press, I think it's just a sign of the times due in part to the internet.

Then: Let the paper(s) filter the signal from the noise, and deliver it to me in a package. Inform me.

Now: Let me troll through pages and pages of comments, updates, feeds, more comments, maybe an interview ... and try to confirm what I already think I know.

Depends on what you prefer ... seems most prefer the noise from the signal. :)

The lines are so blurred with conventional media trying to lead in breaking stories that it ends up not being all that different.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Actually, the demographics are shifting. The vast majority of people under 40 get their local news free, whether we like to admit it or not. If the WFP installs a paywall, people will just find there news somewhere else. This is not 1990, when you only had two choices to read about the local news, or wait until you turned on your TV at 6:00 PM.

The City of Winnipeg values the Jets far more than the Free Press. The Free Press may have been relevant at one point in time, but certainly has not been for years. The Downtown Eaton's building had been in Winnipeg for nearly a century, but only a handful of people protested it's demolition, and we are much better off with the MTS Centre in it's place. This is 2015, and we are in the digital age, and have been for 20 years. I'll fully retract this statement, when the WFP is about to go under in a couple of years, and 35,000 people rally to save the paper (which will not happen).

Well that is the difference between you an I. You may think of HFBoards as being "a fantasy world," but I am of the opinion that there are tons of highly intelligent people behind the screen names, many having inside information pertaining to the Jets. If I want news on the Jets, I come here, not read some Lawless column.

I think I'll pass. Thanks, anyway.

What he was refuting was your statement that the Jets are more important to the history of Winnipeg than the WFP. That statement was so incredulous that I had to read it a half dozen times to make sure i hadn't missed any sarcasm.

When the quality and content of news depends on mouse clicks and site traffic takes over we are heading further in the direction of National Enquire and less in the direction for actual news.
Awesome news article for site traffic "Ten best hamburgers in Winnipeg".
Important but not great for online revenue generation "Limited space in mental health facilities is affecting patients and families of those struggling with the issues".

We have been fortunate in the last decade to have news providers provide relevant news and online sites give us our morning list reading and entertainment/lifestyle news. You go on about fact checking of the WFP but lot of online news sources are mostly concerned with being the first, even if the information later turns out to be false.

You also need to realize that there is large demographic that still depend on getting their news through print media and a significant portion of Manitoba residents do not have access to Internet at reasonable speeds. I know people living in Winnipeg think they are the center of the universe and the only Manitoba residents that matter but you arent.

You will pass on reading up about something actually historically significant to Manitoba and Canada as a whole but think everyone should be up in arms about people not doing research on the year the ****ing whiteout started, which had about as much significance as the year Tim Hortons opened in WPG.

Last edited:

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
What he was refuting was your statement that the Jets are more important to the history of Winnipeg than the WFP. That statement was so incredulous that I had to read it a half dozen times to make sure i hadn't missed any sarcasm.

IMO, the Jets have been far more relevant than a local newspaper in the last 40 years. You have a problem with that, or do you not value freedom of speech? Then again, you are in your 50's, so the Free Press would probably invoke some fond memories for you.

We have been fortunate in the last decade to have news providers provide relevant news and online sites give us our morning list reading and entertainment/lifestyle news. You go on about fact checking of the WFP but lot of online news sources are mostly concerned with being the first, even if the information later turns out to be false.

That statement was so incredulous that I had to read it a half dozen times to make sure i hadn't missed any sarcasm. What is the point of delivering news, if it is factually incorrect? At one time, the Free Press was a very respected newspaper. However, that all but ended a decade ago, and the paper has taken a nosedive in the last several years, in terms of quality and customer service.

You also need to realize that there is large demographic that still depend on getting their news through print media and a significant portion of Manitoba residents do not have access to Internet at reasonable speeds.

First off, the large demographic that you refer to is mainly over the age of 65. Even my family members who are in their 60s use smartphones, and the internet to find the latest news, whether local or non-local. Print media is becoming obsolete. By denying this, you are living in the past.

You will pass on reading up about something actually historically significant to Manitoba and Canada as a whole but think everyone should be up in arms about people not doing research on the year the ****ing whiteout started, which had about as much significance as the year Tim Hortons opened in WPG.

I'm not even going to dignify this with a response. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad