Podcast (Audio) NEW: Doug Wilson Jr. Talks 2022 NHL Draft, William Eklund’s Season

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Finally, McKenna gives his prediction for which of these three goalies, Kahkonen, Reimer, and Hill, will be on the San Jose Sharks (1:16:00) next year.

LISTEN: McKenna on Kahkonen’s Ceiling, Which Goalies Will Sharks Keep?

For once, I agree completely with your guest about which goalie to keep. The saying "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush" is applicable with Reimer. Keep him, and let the other two fight out for the #2 spot. I lean towards Kahkonen over Hill.

Hill reminds me of Martin Jones. A guy that needs the bigger pads of several years ago.

Then, listening, I was saying... yeah but can they get a 2nd round from a Hill trade? Boom, you asked it. I don't think so either. Sharks' "trade fu" is weak right now. They are not a commanding presence at the trade tables, and the other GM seem to sense that. DW was a commanding presence until the Martin Jones trade. That was the start of his fall, imo.

That was a good interview. Unlike the guy about Eklund where I got the impression he really didn't know Eklund that well, and was winging it in your interview.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Sheng Peng

NEW: Sharks Offered Gorton Job, Colletti for GM?

From Bordeleau to Wilson, this week’s episode of the San Jose Hockey Now Podcast covers everything San Jose Sharks since last Thursday’s momentous announcement that GM Doug Wilson was stepping away from the San Jose organization.

I was there at Thomas Bordeleau’s three-assist pro debut and had detailed thoughts about his game, good and bad (1:00).

Want a Mushu injury update (19:30)?

We love Mike McKenna (21:45)! ICYMI listen to our chat last week with Mike about what he’d do with San Jose’s three-heading goaltending monster.

Once again, the San Jose Sharks are not re-building (32:00). Any prospective GM candidate will need to accept that reality. Besides that, what do I think the Sharks are looking for from their next GM (39:15)?

The San Jose Sharks offered Jeff Gorton a job this summer (47:45). You can learn more about that here:

What does Ned Colletti have to say about being the Sharks GM (51:00)?

LISTEN: Sharks Offered Gorton Job, Colletti for GM?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
NEW: Sharks Offered Gorton Job, Colletti for GM?

From Bordeleau to Wilson, this week’s episode of the San Jose Hockey Now Podcast covers everything San Jose Sharks since last Thursday’s momentous announcement that GM Doug Wilson was stepping away from the San Jose organization.

I was there at Thomas Bordeleau’s three-assist pro debut and had detailed thoughts about his game, good and bad (1:00).

Want a Mushu injury update (19:30)?

We love Mike McKenna (21:45)! ICYMI listen to our chat last week with Mike about what he’d do with San Jose’s three-heading goaltending monster.

Once again, the San Jose Sharks are not re-building (32:00). Any prospective GM candidate will need to accept that reality. Besides that, what do I think the Sharks are looking for from their next GM (39:15)?

The San Jose Sharks offered Jeff Gorton a job this summer (47:45). You can learn more about that here:

What does Ned Colletti have to say about being the Sharks GM (51:00)?

LISTEN: Sharks Offered Gorton Job, Colletti for GM?
That scout comping Bordeleau to Gambrell just killed all our hopes and dreams and have filled me with doubt for years to come. Thanks Sheng

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That scout comping Bordeleau to Gambrell just killed all our hopes and dreams and have filled me with doubt for years to come. Thanks Sheng
Bordeleau has way more skill than Gambrell. Better hands, more quickness, just better. Even in college. Gambrell was a passenger on that Denver team, Bordeleau was most certainly not a passenger at Michigan.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yet I was considered a troll for comparing Bordeleau to Danny O'Regan who is the same size and put up similar numbers in college.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Bordeleau gets a chance to pave his own way. Whether your take is right or wrong is still up in the air. How you choose to express yourself is something else entirely.
The fact that a NHL scout compared him to Gambrell proves it's not a ridiculous troll take is all I'm saying. Not that I'm right or wrong.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
The fact that a NHL scout compared him to Gambrell proves it's not a ridiculous troll take is all I'm saying. Not that I'm right or wrong.
That’s a bad comparison. Bordeleau showed me more in the AHL than Gambrel ever did and it only took 1 game. There is plenty to be excited about with Bordeleau but it remains to be seen if he can overcome his lack of size.

Sheng Peng

NEW: George Richards on What Went Wrong for Boughner in Florida

Are we nearing the end of Bob Boughner’s tenure as head coach of the San Jose Sharks? Or does Boughner deserve a reprieve because of the top-heavy rosters that he’d been saddled with in San Jose?

This week on the San Jose Hockey Now Podcast, we look at Boughner’s first go-around as an NHL head coach to get some answers about his viability as a bench boss. Boughner coached the Florida Panthers from 2017-19 and had stars like Aleksander Barkov, Jonathan Huberdeau, Aaron Ekblad, and MacKenzie Weegar at this disposal, but he couldn’t get them into the playoffs either.

George Richards of Florida Hockey Now joins us to share his perspective of Boughner’s tenure in Florida.

But before we talk about that, we touch on the San Jose Sharks adding goaltender Strauss Mann to their ranks. How could that be like DC Comics villain Darkseid using Marvel’s Infinity Gauntlet? (4:30)

We have quick injury updates on Kevin Labanc and Adin Hill and Erik Karlsson (6:30). Then we touch on the Evander Kane grievance (12:30). We then talk more about Strauss Mann (16:00) and Thomas Bordeleau’s NHL debut (24:00).

We then get into Bob talk: Will the new GM bring Boughner back (37:00)? I don’t think so, and I tell you why.

Finally, George Richards jumps on (51:00).

What happened to the Florida Panthers in the 2018-19 season, Boughner’s last year there (58:30)?

How did Joel Quenneville’s availability hang over that Panthers’ season (1:03:00)?

Florida’s blueline was bad that year, according to Richards (1:05:30). Richards discussed how Boughner connected with the Panthers (1:11:00). What does Richards think is Boughner’s culpability for not winning with Barkov and company?

How did Bob handle Florida’s younger players (1:16:00)? What positives does Richards attribute to Boughner in Florida? What negatives (1:19:00)?

Richards believes that Boughner wouldn’t have been fired by Florida if not for Quenneville’s availability (1:21:00). And Quenneville’s first Panthers team was actually worse than Boughner’s best (1:24:00).

What was Boughner’s relationship with his star Panthers players like Barkov, Ekblad, and Huberdeau (1:27:30)? Did young players develop under Bob (1:32:00)?

Richards also tells us why Dale Tallon exposed Jonathan Marchessault and Reilly Smith to the Vegas Golden Knights in the 2017 expansion draft (1:34:00)?

Richards finally ends with a Joe Thornton update (1:40:00) heading into the playoffs.

LISTEN: George Richards on What Went Wrong for Boughner in Florida

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
If DW or even JW was GM I'd assume BB is staying as HC

But since it probably is gonna be an outsider coming in, I think he's basically auditioning for his next job elsewhere at this point

Looking forward to someone finding out what he hated so much about Columbus tho

Reactions: Sheng Peng

Sheng Peng

NEW: Prospective Sharks GM Candidate on What Makes a Great GM

What makes a great GM?

I talked to a likely candidate for San Jose Sharks GM, who has to remain anonymous, but shared his thoughts about what makes a great GM, among other interesting insights about the GM interview process.

Before that, Nick and I mused who San Jose Sharks fans would root for if Joe Thornton and the Florida Panthers faced off against Joe Pavelski and the Dallas Stars in the Stanley Cup Final (14:00).

I also talked about what I’ve heard positive and negative about the candidacies of Kevin Weekes (20:00) and John Ferguson Jr. (28:00) for the Sharks GM position.

This candidate I spoke with truly believes that he can make the San Jose Sharks winners again, in the short-term and the long-term (35:00).

What goes into a GM candidate’s presentation to a team (39:00)? What are some of the political aspects of the GM hiring process (44:20)?

We speculate: Does the San Jose Sharks GM hire revolve around protecting the jobs of the people already in place in the organization (46:00)?

How much is the league involved in the process of hiring a GM? More than you’d probably guess (49:50).

What is this candidate’s idea of who a great GM is (55:00)? We get to the core of it. Why is it not necessarily important for a candidate to have, for example, a strong amateur scouting record?

Finally, Pierre LeBrun reported that the San Jose Sharks have at least 25 names on their list. Is that too many (59:30)? This candidate thinks so.

LISTEN: Prospective Sharks GM Candidate on What Makes a Great GM

Reactions: NiWa

Sheng Peng

NEW: Thanks Nick + Sharks’ Drunk Mailbag

Farewell, Nick!

Nick Flohr is leaving the San Jose Hockey Now Podcast because of some (good) life news. I’ll miss you, Nick!

For Nick’s last pod, we decided to have some fun – we hosted an open mailbag and kept the drinks going all night.

It was a rollicking good time! Tears were shed, beer was split, songs were sung, and of course, all your San Jose Sharks questions were answered.

But before we get to the mailbag, we take shots (1:30), then Nick plies me with his burning exit interview questions (3:30).

Here were your questions, in order:

@prairiebilbo: Who impressed you guys more between Eklund and Bordeleau during their short stints? And how are the two similar and/or different? (31:00)

@Mr_MrsPL8M8KER: Do you believe the San Jose Sharks will use Bordeleau, Leonard, Weatherby, and Gregor next year? If yes, what line will they play? I believe these guys take up the third and fourth lines. (42:30)

@AggrShark: Really happy with goaltending. Three starters in goal. Just curious on Reimer, I don’t see him being with the Sharks after his contract ends. (53:00)

@carter3dsp: How do you think the goalie situation plays out?

@DevinClark1: What are three major things the San Jose Sharks need to do to realistically fight for playoffs next year?

@S_to_the_Pon: Will Vegas fire Deboer? I still feel they fired Gallant for less.

@SnipeCity420: What is Sheng’s drink of choice? (1:09:30)

Will the SJHN podcast continue without fan favorite Nick Flohr?

Why am I your least favorite Twitter account?

What are three realistic moves the team can make to be taken seriously next season?

Who are your personal favorite candidates for GM?

@radioheadliner: Do you see Brandon Coe making any impact on the Sharks/Cuda next year? Do you think Alex Tuch (big body, good skater with scoring touch) would be a good comparison for him, albeit in a dream scenario? (1:26:30)

@hohosaregood: Any thoughts on the incongruence in the reporting that the GM will have full control of hockey operations and the various restrictions that seem to be in place by the search committee?

@D_Smizzman: #DrunkSheng needs to happen! More of a thought, than a question: I think Burns to Dallas makes sense. A ton of sense. Klingberg is gone and they need some help in the backend. I think Burns would waive [his trade clause] too as he has roots there. What say you? (1:40:00)

@kongo_kamel: Realistic top-six forward signing/trade this summer? (Fiala/Laine/Forsberg etc.)

@Xenothian: Who do you think will be the next surprise player on next season’s opening night roster? (1:50:50)

@FinCoe: What’s the best use of Bonino? Trade for a low or mid-pick, keep as 4C, keep as bottom-six winger?

@AlDaugereaux: What are the odds that Brent Burns gets traded? Odds of Vlasic buyout?

@boughbobner: Hindsight is 20/20. Going back to the 2008-09 season, what are three things you would do differently throughout the last 10-plus years? Not counting the EK9 extension, because that feels too obvious. Happy trails, friends! (2:03:50)

@greglehming: Assuming the San Jose Sharks don’t move up in the Draft lottery, do you see them trying to trade up in the Draft to get a higher pick?

@BayAreaSportsF: What do you expect Mario Ferraro’s next contract to look like? He’s an RFA and I have seen $4-5M per year bandied about and that seems high. Love the dude but I thought he had a very underwhelming season. (2:17:00)

Did Erik Karlsson quit the last two weeks of the season? It seems by his end-of-season comments that he wasn’t injured, but basically not wanting to risk an injury. Most likely so he could play for Sweden. Does seem like something that would [not] be well-received in the locker room.

@aj_strong: I want three takes from Sheng on how awesome Nick is. (2:23:30)

@C_Dyczkowsky: Here’s an easy one. What was @NickFlohr_’s favorite episode? And you can’t say all of them because I feel like you are the type to say that. (2:29:45)

@SharksJosh95: What makes #SJSharks Twitter unique? (2:44:50)

LISTEN: Thanks Nick + Sharks’ Drunk Mailbag

Reactions: sharski and NiWa

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
dang, even Sharks podcasts are going through a retool

sad to see Nick go, but definitely understand having a lot on his plate with his other work and being a parent... a lot of the episodes i remember being recorded pretty late at night, almost like the old Sharks After Dark or whatever those post-playoff game sessions Randy and Drew used to do were called

also, hohosaregood made the episode... I couldn't think of a stronger representative of this place

#weareallhohosaregood

Reactions: Gecklund and Friday

Sheng Peng

NEW: Who Will Sharks Pick at No. 11? Chris Peters Talks 2022 Draft

Sheng introduces his new co-host, plus examines the news and notes around the San Jose Sharks, including Alexander Barabanov’s new deal (3:00), if Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson could be on their way out of San Jose, what a Burns trade could look like (9:00), and what’s the hold up on Mario Ferraro’s new deal (23:00). Then we discuss the latest on the new GM search (33:00) and Patrick Marleau’s retirement (37:00).

Finally, the Daily Faceoff’s Chris Peters joins the show to talk about being on the road again (52:00), the 2022 NHL Draft (54:00), his most recent mock draft, and who he has the San Jose Sharks picking (1:03:00). Chris also reviews the seasons of some of the Sharks’ top prospects including William Eklund (1:24:00), Brandon Coe (1:27:00), and Ozzy Wiesblatt (1:30:00). And why is Chris down on Brad Lambert?

LISTEN: Who Will Sharks Pick at No. 11? Chris Peters Talks 2022 Draft

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Seems a tad smug when discussing the future of defensive dmen
That's an obit written more than a few times
They're not gone but what makes for an effective defensive dman is pretty different nowadays. Like modern ones like Braun or Middleton are generally more well rounded players now than guys like Roman Polak or Colin White or Doug Murray were.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
They're not gone but what makes for an effective defensive dman is pretty different nowadays. Like modern ones like Braun or Middleton are generally more well rounded players now than guys like Roman Polak or Colin White or Doug Murray were.
The claim is that teams can't win with them now. Braun was a defensive defenseman who wasn't very physical. Yes one can't have such pylons of the past. At least not many of them

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Every defenseman needs to be able to skate and handle the puck these days. But that only makes finding defensemen who can do those things AND have size and defensive acumen that much more important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad