Podcast (Audio) NEW: Doug Wilson Jr. Talks 2022 NHL Draft, William Eklund’s Season

TreeLane

Jul 12, 2020
the relationship between Eklund and the Sharks been irreparably damaged with the gross mistreatment of the only worthwhile prospect. he must be traded if he has any hope of saving his NHL career.
Hope you're joking cause this take is extremely foolish.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Eklund as a playmaker is NHL ready. Eklund as a goal scorer needs work. If he's in the NHL next year passing the puck to Meier/Hertl/Couture he'll be more successful than passing it to his SHL linemates. I remember the two games before he got sent back he was already improving and creating more chances.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
the relationship between Eklund and the Sharks been irreparably damaged with the gross mistreatment of the only worthwhile prospect. he must be traded if he has any hope of saving his NHL career.
FINALLY someone who looks at Eklund like a human being and is thinking about William's best interests and not just like some piece of meat

Kudos

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He's not a goal scorer. He is a playmaker lol. I literally said that.
He's not an NHL level player yet. Not being a goal scorer doesn't mean you score 1 goal. Even jumbo scored goals on occasion. Craig Janney and Adam Oates were playmakers and they still scored goals. Barabanov still has goals at the NHL level and he's clearly a playmaker. Eklund isn't ready.

TreeLane

Jul 12, 2020
He's not an NHL level player yet. Not being a goal scorer doesn't mean you score 1 goal. Even jumbo scored goals on occasion. Craig Janney and Adam Oates were playmakers and they still scored goals. Barabanov still has goals at the NHL level and he's clearly a playmaker. Eklund isn't ready.
You're entitled to your opinion. But you are wrong.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
You're entitled to your opinion. But you are wrong.
Nope. Been watching hockey far too many decades to not recognize what should be obvious to some of you. I hope he does take a big jump forward but what we saw in his time in SJ and his production over seas says he's not ready for the NHL yet. Just to be clear, Sorenson is a better player in that league than Eklund. Yes, the Sorenson who can't make the Sharks with their lack of depth. Dahlen is in the same boat. Don't be disappointed if he starts next season in the AHL. It's a very real possibility. I think it's more than likely unless they just go full Coyote and throw the kids to the wolves. It seems that they have learned the Mirco Mueller lesson though so hopefully not.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Nope. Been watching hockey far too many decades to not recognize what should be obvious to some of you. I hope he does take a big jump forward but what we saw in his time in SJ and his production over seas says he's not ready for the NHL yet. Just to be clear, Sorenson is a better player in that league than Eklund. Yes, the Sorenson who can't make the Sharks with their lack of depth. Dahlen is in the same boat. Don't be disappointed if he starts next season in the AHL. It's a very real possibility. I think it's more than likely unless they just go full Coyote and throw the kids to the wolves. It seems that they have learned the Mirco Mueller lesson though so hopefully not.
It's exciting to know that one day, after enough years of watching hockey, my opinions will transform into facts that are infallible and always right. Until then, like most others here, I will trudge along with the knowledge that I can and will be wrong sometimes.

Reactions: jMoneyBrah

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Everything went wrong with eklund the moment management decided that eklund did not need to actually be treated as a prospect that needed development instead as a player that was just a number to them.

Going back to sweden was the stupidest decision the management team made this season, not only did he like miss 3 months of actual games because of the decision, but it did not help with what his biggest issues were early on in the season.

The stupidest decision was to even bring him over to NA, watching him this season it was obvious he was not NHL ready. Should have been more patient and let Djurgården continue to do their thing which they have a pretty good track record of. The second stupidest decision was to send him back once he had already been brought over. Imo stability is important and as a Djurgården fan I hope the organisation has had enough. Having this happen to both Zibanejad and Eklund with similar results has left me with a sour taste. I don't blame the prospects but the organisations should be more professional than that. If a player is brought over stick to that decision, if not leave him in Sweden for the year so he can have a proper preseason with the team.

And for what it is worth I think nothing is broken, he'll have a good future in the NHL. This season was just a little hiccup and has hopefully made him stronger going forward.

Reactions: JBeast

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It's exciting to know that one day, after enough years of watching hockey, my opinions will transform into facts that are infallible and always right. Until then, like most others here, I will trudge along with the knowledge that I can and will be wrong sometimes.
It does make the GM search easier though. Instead of doing research and conducting interviews, we should just find the oldest hockey fan in the world.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Never said I was infallible. As far as your other comment though, I mean, I guess anythings possible but it depends on if you learn the lessons from that experience. My time playing with all it's unique experiences and interactions is a pretty huge part of that too. :nod::cool:

For the sake of argument, show me the stats that prove I'm wrong in this. I've seen all the same analytics as anyone here. Eklund is not a top 6 player right now. Especially not on a team that intends to make the playoffs. There was nothing he was doing in his time in SJ that would have contributed to that goal.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The stupidest decision was to even bring him over to NA, watching him this season it was obvious he was not NHL ready. Should have been more patient and let Djurgården continue to do their thing which they have a pretty good track record of. The second stupidest decision was to send him back once he had already been brought over. Imo stability is important and as a Djurgården fan I hope the organisation has had enough. Having this happen to both Zibanejad and Eklund with similar results has left me with a sour taste. I don't blame the prospects but the organisations should be more professional than that. If a player is brought over stick to that decision, if not leave him in Sweden for the year so he can have a proper preseason with the team.

And for what it is worth I think nothing is broken, he'll have a good future in the NHL. This season was just a little hiccup and has hopefully made him stronger going forward.
They brought him over for camp. That's pretty common especially for high draft picks. The only reason he got extra time was the Kane fiasco. It's not the Sharks fault he let him self think he was entitled to a roster spot despite being nothing more than a passenger 5on5 except for a hand full of good plays.

And no, of course he's not "broken" that assertion was incredibly over dramatic (or a joke?). If that minuscule amount of "adversity" (not getting what he wanted, when he wanted) "broke" him then he is absolutely useless to the Sharks as an NHLer with so little mental fortitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It does make the GM search easier though. Instead of doing research and conducting interviews, we should just find the oldest hockey fan in the world.
Really you should learn from everyone. Starting with people with experience & knowledge is never wrong. It's how med school works.;) Just FWIW, none of this current discussion is even about the GM search, it's about Eklund. Maybe you should read everyones comments so you know what we're even talking about.:thumbu: Maybe try a different brand of apple?:facepalm:

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Eklund as a playmaker is NHL ready. Eklund as a goal scorer needs work. If he's in the NHL next year passing the puck to Meier/Hertl/Couture he'll be more successful than passing it to his SHL linemates. I remember the two games before he got sent back he was already improving and creating more chances.
He had a handful of moments as he adapted to the speed but his inability to maintain possession against NHL players and win battles made him a huge liability especially in the top 6. That and a few near obliterations by opposing players trying to "initiate" him into the NHL. It was only a matter of time before he got a full contact hit that sent him out. Not unlike Dahlen who is physically more mature has been repeatedly injured because his little body can't take the punishment. Just not worth the risk IMO. Again, hope he comes back next camp with some extra girth so he can withstand the punishment. His vision is already elite, similar to Merkley, but it's everything else that wasn't NHL ready.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Agreed. I never understood why the Sharks even signed Eklund when Detroit went the opposite direction with a superior Swedish prospect in Raymond the year before, letting him play his D+1 season in Frolunda before signing him to an ELC.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Agreed. I never understood why the Sharks even signed Eklund when Detroit went the opposite direction with a superior Swedish prospect in Raymond the year before, letting him play his D+1 season in Frolunda before signing him to an ELC.
What makes lucas raymond a far superior swedish prospect? It has nothing to do with actual stats at the time of there draft.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
What makes lucas raymond a far superior swedish prospect? It has nothing to do with actual stats at the time of there draft.
It's Hodge. If there's a way to discredit a plan from the Sharks Hodge will find a way. By adding the "Far superior" bit it suggests their plan was way worse, when in reality Eklund was ranked higher on average and had better stats in their DYs.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Never said I was infallible. As far as your other comment though, I mean, I guess anythings possible but it depends on if you learn the lessons from that experience. My time playing with all it's unique experiences and interactions is a pretty huge part of that too. :nod::cool:

For the sake of argument, show me the stats that prove I'm wrong in this. I've seen all the same analytics as anyone here. Eklund is not a top 6 player right now. Especially not on a team that intends to make the playoffs. There was nothing he was doing in his time in SJ that would have contributed to that goal.
It's just the phrasing, that's all. I don't actually disagree that Eklund wasn't ready for a top six role this season. I'm just not willing to declare yet that he couldn't be for next season. This year was just a lot for him. The idea of him being broken does feel hyperbolic, but I do think he's been through the wringer a bit this year and I'm not surprised at his struggles back in Sweden.

I just think that with the benefit of the summer to train and regain his focus and confidence, maybe despite not making the obvious strides we'd like to see, he can actually come in this fall at a different level.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's Hodge. If there's a way to discredit a plan from the Sharks Hodge will find a way. By adding the "Far superior" bit it suggests their plan was way worse, when in reality Eklund was ranked higher on average and had better stats in their DYs.
I said "superior" not "far superior." Raymond is more dynamic, a much better goal scorer and was drafted higher than Eklund. At best they're comparable prospects and should have been developed similarly.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It's just the phrasing, that's all. I don't actually disagree that Eklund wasn't ready for a top six role this season. I'm just not willing to declare yet that he couldn't be for next season. This year was just a lot for him. The idea of him being broken does feel hyperbolic, but I do think he's been through the wringer a bit this year and I'm not surprised at his struggles back in Sweden.

I just think that with the benefit of the summer to train and regain his focus and confidence, maybe despite not making the obvious strides we'd like to see, he can actually come in this fall at a different level.
Maybe you should have paid attention to what I was responding to so you could see why I responded that way. Notice I never told Tree that "they are wrong", I simply disagreed with their take and offered a couple examples why I disagreed about Eklund lack of performance. Maybe don't take my comments to other members so personally, they aren't directed at you.

Also, I've repeatedly said if Eklund is to make it as a top 6 player next season He will need to have a great summer. He will need to add muscle. 10-15 lbs would be ideal. Just like I kept saying about Merkley the last couple years which proved true. Eklund also not as fast as some of the similar sized guys in the NHL and he's not built the same. Dude has a neck like a giraffe. No traps so likely very susceptible to concussions, shoulder injuries etc. Both of which can be season and potentially career ending when getting run over by bigger faster players.

To be clear, I think Eklund has as good a chance as any prospect the Sharks have had at becoming a great player. When I watch him the guy that he reminds me most of is Datsuyk. Obviously not saying he will be as good but its the way he moves around the ice and his starts and stops and vision. I just think people need to quit trying to rush these kids into the NHL before they're ready. You don't ruin a prospect by making them play in the AHL too long, you ruin a prospect by pushing them into the NHL too soon. Tale as old as time.

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
To be clear, I think Eklund has as good a chance as any prospect the Sharks have had at becoming a great player. When I watch him the guy that he reminds me most of is Datsuyk. Obviously not saying he will be as good but its the way he moves around the ice and his starts and stops and vision.

I agree; I thought of Datsyuk when watching Eklund during his nine-game tryout this season. They both have the ability of a smaller player to steal pucks from larger players with the combination of quick hands and well-timed physical contact.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I agree; I thought of Datsyuk when watching Eklund during his nine-game tryout this season. They both have the ability of a smaller player to steal pucks from larger players with the combination of quick hands and well-timed physical contact.
Datsuyk was incredibly physical for his size. He must have been solid muscle. Hopefully Eklund gets there. I don't know what you mean by well timed physical contact with Eklund though? Seems like Eklund spent most of every shift trying not to get killed. He certainly never initiated contact that was useful in those 9 games.

Sheng Peng

Why didn't you address the elephant in the room? The contract slide?

That was the reason why he was sent back to Sweden. It was purely a finanacial decision that put Eklund out of reach on the Cuda and risk the slide this year.

He put in a lot of effort to earn the right to stay in San Jose, but DW is a stupid idiot that didn't think about ruining his desire to play in this organization.

You're worried about retaliation from the Sharks org?

Seriously? I also reported on his agent's unhappiness with the Sharks sending him back:

I'm neither the organization's lapdog nor am I going to dog them at every turn -- that's called being objective. I'm not worried about "retaliation" for my opinion; I'm offended by the suggestion. Go fly a kite.

It was not purely financial. If he was at all effective at 5on5 they would have kept him. He was in over his head despite a handful of high skill plays. This revisionist history about his 9 games is disengenious.

I don't fully agree with this -- but I agree that keeping Eklund wasn't a slam dunk on-the-ice decision by any means. I think he was good enough to stay with this Sharks team in a regular top-nine role -- I've maintained that since they sent him back -- and nothing has changed there. But it's not like the Sharks sent a surefire Calder candidate back to Sweden to save some money either.

In hindsight, especially considering how dysfunctional it got in Djurgardens, they should've kept him with the Barracuda. Not a winning situation either, but at least there's some stability behind the bench. He could've gotten used to NA ice more too. Of course, Kane/Eklund together would've been something lol.

Sheng Peng

NEW: McKenna on Kahkonen’s Ceiling, Which Goalies Will Sharks Keep?

Why did the San Jose Sharks trade for a third starting goaltender in Kaapo Kahkonen?

Goaltending expert Mike McKenna, now with The Daily Faceoff, joins the San Jose Hockey Now Podcast to share his thoughts.

Before we talk all things San Jose Sharks goaltending, I give an update about Mushu’s injury situation (00:45). Then Nick and I have a spirited debate about Ryan Merkley (3:30). Please keep in mind that we recorded this episode before long-time Sharks GM Doug Wilson stepped down on Thursday!

Now to Mike McKenna: Why did the Kaapo Kahkonen trade catch Mike off-guard (49:00)?

What is McKenna’s opinion about Kahkonen’s ceiling (50:30)?

Why might Kahkonen fit with San Jose Sharks goaltending coach Evgeni Nabokov (52:30)?

McKenna also talks about why the modern goaltending coach has to bring more than just NHL experience to the table (1:01:00).

How concerned should we be about Kahkonen’s less-than-stellar high-danger save % (1:05:00)?

What does McKenna think of James Reimer’s strong season (1:08:30)? What about Adin Hill’s (1:12:45) up-and-down campaign?

Finally, McKenna gives his prediction for which of these three goalies, Kahkonen, Reimer, and Hill, will be on the San Jose Sharks (1:16:00) next year.

LISTEN: McKenna on Kahkonen’s Ceiling, Which Goalies Will Sharks Keep?

Reactions: Sandisfan and NiWa

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't fully agree with this -- but I agree that keeping Eklund wasn't a slam dunk on-the-ice decision by any means. I think he was good enough to stay with this Sharks team in a regular top-nine role -- I've maintained that since they sent him back -- and nothing has changed there. But it's not like the Sharks sent a surefire Calder candidate back to Sweden to save some money either.

In hindsight, especially considering how dysfunctional it got in Djurgardens, they should've kept him with the Barracuda. Not a winning situation either, but at least there's some stability behind the bench. He could've gotten used to NA ice more too. Of course, Kane/Eklund together would've been something lol.
Oh yeah I know you thought they should have kept him. I agree with you on most stuff but not 100%. ;)

That Hertl line got caved until they sent him back from what I saw. Everyone was just wowed by his occasional high end plays. He was ineffective on the forecheck and couldn't win a puck battle against men. I agree that sending him to the Cuda would be a better option than Sweden but he was not NHL ready yet. A little adversity never hurts in building mental toughness. A lot of these kids are too soft and entitled already.

But again, my main point was I don't believe the decision had anything to do with finances. If he was good enough they would have kept him. It's that simple. They've always operated that way.
NEW: McKenna on Kahkonen’s Ceiling, Which Goalies Will Sharks Keep?

Why did the San Jose Sharks trade for a third starting goaltender in Kaapo Kahkonen?

Goaltending expert Mike McKenna, now with The Daily Faceoff, joins the San Jose Hockey Now Podcast to share his thoughts.

Before we talk all things San Jose Sharks goaltending, I give an update about Mushu’s injury situation (00:45). Then Nick and I have a spirited debate about Ryan Merkley (3:30). Please keep in mind that we recorded this episode before long-time Sharks GM Doug Wilson stepped down on Thursday!

Now to Mike McKenna: Why did the Kaapo Kahkonen trade catch Mike off-guard (49:00)?

What is McKenna’s opinion about Kahkonen’s ceiling (50:30)?

Why might Kahkonen fit with San Jose Sharks goaltending coach Evgeni Nabokov (52:30)?

McKenna also talks about why the modern goaltending coach has to bring more than just NHL experience to the table (1:01:00).

How concerned should we be about Kahkonen’s less-than-stellar high-danger save % (1:05:00)?

What does McKenna think of James Reimer’s strong season (1:08:30)? What about Adin Hill’s (1:12:45) up-and-down campaign?

Finally, McKenna gives his prediction for which of these three goalies, Kahkonen, Reimer, and Hill, will be on the San Jose Sharks (1:16:00) next year.

LISTEN: McKenna on Kahkonen’s Ceiling, Which Goalies Will Sharks Keep?
Just made it thru the Merkley part. People here won't like any of that. :laugh: But of course I agree with all of it. One thing I'm curious about though. Is Merkley still waiver exempt next season? I guess I could definitely see a world where the Sharks move Burns this off season especially with a new GM. That leaves them EK65, Merkley and Meloche as the RDs. I guess maybe shelter Merkley the first half of the season and hope he progresses?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad