Podcast (Audio) NEW: Doug Wilson Jr. Talks 2022 NHL Draft, William Eklund’s Season

Sheng Peng

Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while, but I wanted to share some big news -- I started my own podcast! The San Jose Hockey Now Podcast debuted last week, and we had a very informative chat with director of scouting Doug Wilson Jr..

Nick Flohr and I touch on a wide range of topics, from what’s going with his hair (34:30), San Jose draft trends (48:20), which teams he thought would beat the Sharks to William Eklund (55:20), and how he wasn’t leaving the 2017 draft floor without Mario Ferraro (59:50):

SJHN Podcast: Wilson Jr. on Sharks Draft Trends, Eklund Surprise, Ferraro

If you enjoy the pod, please leave a review on Apple, etc.!

Last edited:

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Yes, it was a great interview and really nice to learn more about the enigmatic DW Jr. It’s great how real he is and informative unlike the traditional Sharks management group. You are a fun interviewer, Sheng!

Reactions: Sandisfan

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018
I think the entire fan base has really warmed up to DWJR. He's earned it. Definitely haven't heard anything close to this personal or in-depth with the guy though. Love him!! He seems really good for the organization.

Thanks for the interview Sheng. The right questions were asked and i feel like i got to know him. He's passionate about scouting, and seems to have a plan that seems to be working. I trust him a lot more after this.

My favorite part was the Matty slip up, good sense of humor and nice to know he's got the scouting team zeroed in on the right players. I also loved that he told the scouting team he wasn't leaving the floor without mario ferraro and they didn't have a 3rd pick so he had to pick him in the 2nd round.

Now do DWSR!!

wraith985

Jan 8, 2006
Great interview. I went in expecting the usual mealy-mouthed nothing and I was pleasantly surprised. Added it to my pod catcher and will continue to listen moving forward.

Sheng Peng

Great interview. I went in expecting the usual mealy-mouthed nothing and I was pleasantly surprised. Added it to my pod catcher and will continue to listen moving forward.

Thank you -- I strive to conduct interviews that go beyond the cliche. I spend a lot of time in my research to ensure it.

I appreciate all the kind words, everybody! We have another exciting and fun guest this Thursday!

Sheng Peng

It's a brand-new episode of the San Jose Hockey Now Podcast!

* HERTL HERTL HERTL: Nick Flohr & I talk about the Hertl rumors
* What's Doug Wilson's big picture plan?
* Chekhovich insight
* AND we chat with Swedish TV/YouTube star (and William's dad) Christian "Fimpen" Eklund

"Fimpen" shares hilarious stories about William's love for buffalo chicken wings, his own experience playing for Thomas Bordeleau's grandfather, and more:

SJHN Podcast: Christian “Fimpen” Eklund Talks William, Playing for Bordeleau’s Grandfather

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It's a brand-new episode of the San Jose Hockey Now Podcast!

* HERTL HERTL HERTL: Nick Flohr & I talk about the Hertl rumors
* What's Doug Wilson's big picture plan?
* Chekhovich insight
* AND we chat with Swedish TV/YouTube star (and William's dad) Christian "Fimpen" Eklund

"Fimpen" shares hilarious stories about William's love for buffalo chicken wings, his own experience playing for Thomas Bordeleau's grandfather, and more:

SJHN Podcast: Christian “Fimpen” Eklund Talks William, Playing for Bordeleau’s Grandfather

Really enjoying these, Sheng, they’ve helped two long morning commutes go by!

I also 100% agree with you on Doug Wilson’s wait and see approach.

Sheng Peng

Really enjoying these, Sheng, they’ve helped two long morning commutes go by!

I also 100% agree with you on Doug Wilson’s wait and see approach.

Thanks for listening to the new episode! It makes more sense than Doug not seeing how terrible the team has been the last 2 years -- I mean, the results on the ice don't lie. He sees it, but he's not the type to weaken his position, I think, by savaging his guys in public. Not to give him too much credit -- these are all problems of his own creation.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Thanks for listening to the new episode! It makes more sense than Doug not seeing how terrible the team has been the last 2 years -- I mean, the results on the ice don't lie. He sees it, but he's not the type to weaken his position, I think, by savaging his guys in public. Not to give him too much credit -- these are all problems of his own creation.

Yeah, I do think the shocking and sudden downfall of players like Karlsson and Vlasic was a surprise to many of us (and Meier severely under-performing), so it’s hard for me to fully blame Doug, but also I sort of
blame Doug…

I think he’s praying that pandemic/just bad luck is to blame for some of the severe underperformance and that next year they come out and surprise everyone but I think he’s also realistically keeping an eye out for a big sell off at the trade deadline if that doesn’t happen.

Anyway, really fun podcast and I really appreciate the depth you guys go into and the work you do, it’s so rare to have that around the Sharks.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
This is close to my opinion on the situation. I just find it annoying how his words have not matched his actions throughout the last year or so. Like everything he's done screams that he's rebuilding but everything he says screams competing.

Sheng Peng

It's a fresh episode of the San Jose Hockey Now Podcast!

* What's Evander Kane's road back to the San Jose Sharks? Is the locker room damage really irreparable?
* Finding clues in what Sharks social media and Marc-Edouard Vlasic have said -- or haven't said -- about Kane
* Hall of Famer Kevin Allen and long-time Red Wings beat writer Bob Duff join us to talk about the Kane situation from a historical lens: How have teams in the past won with locker room discord?

SJHN Podcast: Allen, Duff on How Kane Staying with Sharks Can Work

Reactions: hohosaregood

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
It's a fresh episode of the San Jose Hockey Now Podcast!

* What's Evander Kane's road back to the San Jose Sharks? Is the locker room damage really irreparable?
* Finding clues in what Sharks social media and Marc-Edouard Vlasic have said -- or haven't said -- about Kane
* Hall of Famer Kevin Allen and long-time Red Wings beat writer Bob Duff join us to talk about the Kane situation from a historical lens: How have teams in the past won with locker room discord?

SJHN Podcast: Allen, Duff on How Kane Staying with Sharks Can Work
This was a great episode. Definitely confirms to me that from what we know, the locker room issues are probably a little over blown as far as being irreparable. A little imposed discipline and a one game suspension or 2 and Kane either gets in line or gets waived and sent home as you guys suggest. They definitely need to impose hard limits on his team related behavior though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad