Podcast (Audio) NEW: Doug Wilson Jr. Talks 2022 NHL Draft, William Eklund’s Season

Sheng Peng

Seems a tad smug when discussing the future of defensive dmen
That's an obit written more than a few times
I actually agree to some degree, but I thought that a topic worth saving for another time.

The big, sluggish down-low defenseman man probably won't have much of a place anymore though, I think. Gotta be able to skate, make that first pass. But if you can do that much, you're going to have value if you can defend at a high level.

Reactions: Gecklund

Sheng Peng

NEW: Wilson Jr. Talks 2022 NHL Draft, Eklund’s Season

Sheng and JD react to the news of the San Jose Barracuda coaching change with Roy Sommer moving to a front-office role and John McCarthy becoming the head coach. We analyze why the move was made (5:00) and the differences between Sommer and McCarthy (12:00). Then we look at why the San Jose Sharks are interviewing Ray Whitney and where they are currently in their process of hiring a new GM (21:00).

Next, San Jose Sharks director of scouting Doug Wilson Jr. joins the show to discuss how work is different without Doug Wilson around (30:00), how he goes about scouting players (34:00), the one thing he looks for when drafting players (37:00), and his general thoughts on the 2022 NHL Draft (39:00), including how deep the San Jose Sharks’ draft list is. Then Wilson Jr. explains why he was happy with William Eklund’s season despite the lack of scoring (43:00), how some of the defensive prospects like Gannon Laroque are progressing (48:30), and his under-the-radar Sharks prospect (58:30). He also shares more about expectations for free agent signing Max Veronneau going into the 2022-23 season (1:00:30).

LISTEN: Wilson Jr. Talks 2022 NHL Draft, Eklund’s Season

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Sheng and JD react to the news of the San Jose Barracuda coaching change with Roy Sommer moving to a front-office role and John McCarthy becoming the head coach. We analyze why the move was made (5:00) and the differences between Sommer and McCarthy (12:00). Then we look at why the San Jose Sharks are interviewing Ray Whitney and where they are currently in their process of hiring a new GM (21:00).

Next, San Jose Sharks director of scouting Doug Wilson Jr. joins the show to discuss how work is different without Doug Wilson around (30:00), how he goes about scouting players (34:00), the one thing he looks for when drafting players (37:00), and his general thoughts on the 2022 NHL Draft (39:00), including how deep the San Jose Sharks’ draft list is. Then Wilson Jr. explains why he was happy with William Eklund’s season despite the lack of scoring (43:00), how some of the defensive prospects like Gannon Laroque are progressing (48:30), and his under-the-radar Sharks prospect (58:30). He also shares more about expectations for free agent signing Max Veronneau going into the 2022-23 season (1:00:30).

Love how in depth DW jr went into each prospect. Also liked how he mentioned some of the guys met them at NHL games and kind of got some experience there (think it was Kashnikov in OTT and Guryev in TOR specifically).

One thing he kept stressing was you know what the very least these are good dudes and have fought for their spots to earn everything. I think that’s a huge character trait that you can see in all of our drafts. Our prospects aren’t settling and instead wondering where can I improve. I think that’s why we’ve seen huge leaps in guys like Coe, Robins, Laroque, etc. In my mind that sort of takes us out of the running for Lambert, who jumped ship on two teams because he couldn’t get playing time from what I’ve seen.

Reactions: Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Sounds like there's a couple guys they like in that 5-12 tier that we're talking about. DW Jr mentioned that they'd be in a less likable spot if they were a few spots lower in the draft

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Watching DWJr talk about Laroque is fun. He even tries to explain the "look" of Laroque and why he seems to be a future NHLer. It's hard to explain other than he just always looks like he belongs.
I am DW Jr. and this has been the longest con of all time. :sarcasm:

(I didn’t listen but I’ve been saying the exact same thing about Laroque for a while).

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I am DW Jr. and this has been the longest con of all time. :sarcasm:

(I didn’t listen but I’ve been saying the exact same thing about Laroque for a while).
It's a good listen for sure. Lots of details about this draft, what he thinks of a lot of the 2020/2021 picks.

But since you were the one answering the questions, guess you don't need to relive it.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's funny how the most anonymous defensive prospects from each year are DW Jr.'s favorite darkhorses. Ferraro, Hatakka, and Laroque so far.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland

Great podcast/video with Dougie!!

Icedog22

Jun 18, 2022
Love how in depth DW jr went into each prospect. Also liked how he mentioned some of the guys met them at NHL games and kind of got some experience there (think it was Kashnikov in OTT and Guryev in TOR specifically).

One thing he kept stressing was you know what the very least these are good dudes and have fought for their spots to earn everything. I think that’s a huge character trait that you can see in all of our drafts. Our prospects aren’t settling and instead wondering where can I improve. I think that’s why we’ve seen huge leaps in guys like Coe, Robins, Laroque, etc. In my mind that sort of takes us out of the running for Lambert, who jumped ship on two teams because he couldn’t get playing time from what I’ve seen.
I just heard that Kashnikov is working out with Spartak Moscow for upcoming development camp. His European agent is good friend of my brother, they played together. But he got offer from 4 KHL clubs. But Spartak are doing everything possible to have him. They offered him 3 years deal. But Kashnikov is coming to San Jose to work with sharks. He is looking to play NHL/AHL. But if didn't work he will go back to Russia. He is not going to Q, as I know he has offer from Halifax. So i hope he will make to San Jose

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I just heard that Kashnikov is working out with Spartak Moscow for upcoming development camp. His European agent is good friend of my brother, they played together. But he got offer from 4 KHL clubs. But Spartak are doing everything possible to have him. They offered him 3 years deal. But Kashnikov is coming to San Jose to work with sharks. He is looking to play NHL/AHL. But if didn't work he will go back to Russia. He is not going to Q, as I know he has offer from Halifax. So i hope he will make to San Jose
I dont really see a way he plays in the NHL next year, normally the sharks will ask a guy that age to play atleast one more year in the Q, but if he does really well in training camp they could keep him in the AHL for next year.

The normal process could be null however, as I cant imagine the sharks want any prospects going to Russia right now.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I dont really see a way he plays in the NHL next year, normally the sharks will ask a guy that age to play atleast one more year in the Q, but if he does really well in training camp they could keep him in the AHL for next year.

The normal process could be null however, as I cant imagine the sharks want any prospects going to Russia right now.
Kashnikov is an interesting prospect. He's huge, and skates well. It's not surprising that he would want to start his pro career as soon as possible, but it's a little unreasonable to think he's ready to make that jump. We'll see how the development camp goes for him, but he would have to absolutely dominate in both the dev camp and rookie camp. If he's way more physically mature than everyone he's playing in juniors maybe he could make the jump to the pros, because size and all that, but his point totals aren't great and I don't know about his puck movement or d having only seen a few highlights of him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I could see him going to the AHL but I didn't think he was actually eligible. He seems super raw though so seems pretty doubtful he could make the NHL.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I could see him going to the AHL but I didn't think he was actually eligible. He seems super raw though so seems pretty doubtful he could make the NHL.
Kashnikov has a December birthday and turns 20 this year, so he will be eligible for the AHL this season. If he had been born a week later, in January, he would not have been eligible at all - his choices would have been the Sharks, the QMJHL, or overseas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad